Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INPA/EDIABAS error codes won't clear

My Cars
    1997 BMW SC M3/4-6

INPA/EDIABAS error codes won't clear

I bought a serial cable off ebay that is OBDII and ADS and it came with software. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...item27b0e12292

Software is INPA 5.02 and EDIABAS 6.4.7
    Software load up OK and I can see battery and ignition, error codes and all the OBDII scan data. The problem is I can't clear any error codes.. My car is a 97 M3. You have to choose older models / E36/engine and their is nothing for my car engine (s52 ) so I chose m52 US with ODBII and it works but can't clear my error (check engine light). Could this be because my motor is not listed?

Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Have you fixed the cause of the error?

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    1997 BMW SC M3/4-6
    Today I tried reloaded the INPA/EDIABSA software but have the same not able to clear error codes issue. I tried reconfiguring from ADS to OBDII in the EDIABSA.ini but got errors when launching INPA. Put it back to ADS

Is there anybody out there that has a E36 OBDII M3, what are you using to read errors codes and clearing errors and also clearing the adaptations?

Thanks,

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You are using an OBD interface, using an adapter to connect to the 20 pin port does not convert it to an ADS interface, which is what is required for your car.

My Cars
    1997 BMW SC M3/4-6
    David MC,

So what you saying is I need something else. Crap! I just converted from a Auto to 6 Speed and need to clear some codes and adaptations.
    Any ides, suggestion? Ebay stuff? I still want to keep the cost down.

Thanks for the help.

Through lots of reading I think I got it. Was very confused to why.

Even if my car a 97 e36 m3 has a OBD2 connector I will need a ADS interface because I have pin 15 (L-line) installed in the 20-pin diagnostic connector. I think my china cable would be fine for newer BMW but it doesn't look like it has a L-line so I don't think I can mod it to make it work. ?

Has anybody tried this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-INPA-Ediabas-OBD-ADS-Interface-/200483757609?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Automotive_Too ls&hash=item2eadc35e29
    Last edited by crashdummy2; 07-04-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 BMW SC M3/4-6
    Any more ideas or should I just order a different cable?

Thanks

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    That cable looks exactly like the switchable ADS/OBD interface sold by do-it-auto. If it is the same internally it should be a good unit.

My Cars
    1997 BMW SC M3/4-6
    That's good to hear. I made a offer of $75 on the ADS cable interface on ebay and they took it. Sold my other cable on craigslist in two days.

Thanks to David Mc for the help.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by crashdummy2 View Post
    I bought a serial cable off ebay that is OBDII and ADS and it came with software. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...item27b0e12292

Software is INPA 5.02 and EDIABAS 6.4.7
    Also, use the INPA/Ediabas software from the 4shared site. The version that came with the interface from ebay seller blujaysn is not complete.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    That cable looks exactly like the switchable ADS/OBD interface sold by do-it-auto. If it is the same internally it should be a good unit.
    David,

Can you take a look inside the do-it-auto interface? There's a picture of the PC board inside the one from China in the ebay listing:
    Last edited by stritarja; 07-06-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    It just happens that I photographed the inside of the do-it-auto interface and included the photo in my review here http://www.repairdynamics.com/do-it-...ace_review.pdf ....

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Looks like the same one but I can't read any the print on your photo. The ebay board is labeled "ADS Interface Rev. 3.00"

My Cars
    1997 BMW SC M3/4-6

Update

Well the China ads interface works with INPA 5.0.2 but could not get it to work with Carsoft. The BMW-Interface-Tester does not see it also. I was hoping it would have worked for Carsoft

I'm still a little confused about using INPA for my US E36 1997 M3. I can only attach to the engine section under MS 41.1 for M52 US ODBII but my M3 has a S52 and there is no option for that. INPA seems to work fine and give me all kinds of info, error codes, clear service/error, loagging info, etc.

The only problem is I can't seem to clear a hard error P0600 ( INPA list it as # 217 ) This error is from me removing my Auto for a 6 speed. I wonder if it's got something to do with being S52 ECU and using a MS M52 choice.

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD

Question

RE:crashdummy2

I have recently bought the same ADS/OBD interface from the same person off eBay.

Member ID: automotive-tool

Item number: 160499165761

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-INPA-Ediabas-OBD-ADS-Interface-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255e7eea41QQitemZ16049 9165761QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Am having either a software issue or faulty interface issue.

If you have time to read my post and share any answers or advice on setting up the DIS / EDIABAS, to get the interface working properly I would be greatful.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99/1995-e36-325td-can-anyone-explain-how-to-t68587/

I have set up DIS & EDIABAS/INPA according to the install instructions settings in the downloaded folders PDF Text files.

In particular these two posts:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1385070

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1297683

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (40.7 KB, 10 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (61.5 KB, 9 views)
    Last edited by tsam19; 01-11-2011 at 12:32 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Gents, whilst it is possible to use a Carsoft interface for INPA/DIS, it is not possible to use an INPA/DIS interface for Carsoft (which uses a different method of controlling communication). Tsam, if you are attempting to install DIS natively (i.e. not under vmware) the installation procedure will be different. If you are installing under vmware in a windows environment, you need these 3 documents only http://www.4shared.com/document/Z9jj...tallation.html , http://www.4shared.com/document/sOgv...Supp_Page.html and http://www.4shared.com/document/X3jz...HIS_FIRST.html . You can then check your installation using this http://www.4shared.com/document/3PKI...tion_Chec.html the password to access all of this information is help (case-sensitive).

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD

Question

Thanks Dave

I will have a read & see what I can do.

I was reading another of your replies to someones else with an Ediabas dillema, similar to one I was having.

Basically I've collected numerous files such as the BMW TOOL.exe (63mb) which installs as you know NCS expert,Ediabas toolset v32,Inpa & WFK

What is the toolset used for? - I had a brief look at it & there seems to be a lot of SGBD files in the ECU folder to choose from??

I left it alone as there are no instructions on what it can be used for.

I also instsalled (at the same time) the Ediabas v6.47/Ipna 5.0.1 straight from the Referenz folder in the Ediabas 6.47 folder, instead of upgrading from Ediabas v6.43/Inpa 3.0 - hence I was getting a lot of error messages when trying to connect to various areas on the car (1995 E36 325 2.5 TD)

Is v6.43 the earliest version, or are there other ones available?

I believe there is an Ediabas v7, is that an upgrade or a straight installer?

Thanks again.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Tsam, I am at a loss as to why people seem to have a fascination with the "latest" versions of EDIABAS, as it is only a communications protocol. This means that it is like speaking English - either you do or you don't - whether you learned to speak it in 1950 or 2000, the language is the same.

The only "advantage" of the later versions of INPA is that they contain code definition files for later model cars - INPA v3.01/EDIABAS v6.4.3 contains all the necessary files to work on cars up to about 11/2004. Installation of this version is also a pre-requisite for upgrading to v5.02/6.4.7, which is missing some of the files necessary for a successful stand-alone installation.

I really only use Toolset to pull codes from modules that fail to respond to diagnostics, such as the DME's on some 4 cylinder cars built in the 1990's.

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD

Question

Cheers Dave

I will stick with Ediabas V6.4.3

I'm not sure if the v6.4.7 upgrade actually works properly, I was getting too many error messages as in the pictures in my last reply.

But as explained I loaded v6.4.7 1st, thats probably the reason.

As for the READ ME 1st TEXT file, with regard to DIS & INPA/EDIABAS it explains a lot. I'm not sure how I missed that info!

Do you know if those settings in the TEXT file would be applicable & work with DIS v57 & SSS?

I have 2 vmdk images - DIS v57 (6gb file size) & SSS (24gb file size) which again work the same way EASY DIS v44 works through the Virtual Vmware workstation.

That is how I have set up easy dis v44 & it is also the way I would use the other 2 images in the Windows Envirioment.

I'm not sure how to set it up any other way.

Do you know if I can access all modules listed in the E36 section of the 'older cars' on Ediabas - Transmission,Body,Engine & Chassis?

Finally are there any instructions available on how to use the tool set program?

Or is DIS & Ediabas sufficient for reading & clearing & diagnosing faults?

Thanks

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD
    I've followed the READ ME 1st text.

I managed to follow & make changes according to the instructions in all documents uploaded for anyone to have a look.

Ran the APITEST & got a timeout error message constantly??

Are you meant to have the APITEST carried out with INPA/EDIABAS SERVER & IFHSRV32 running in the background?

Are you meant to carry out the APITEST with the laptop & ADS interface connected to the car too?

There seems to be a lot of grey areas in the instructions..

Going back over my tracks & rechecking everything...

When I got to the EASY DIS CONFIG PAGE & chose option 7 (SCOADMIN) to remove & install the network adatpter & confirm & enable the network adapter in the editor settings.

Taken from the text file:

"A message will pop up telling you that your settings have changed and asking if you want to relink the kernel. Choose yes and a black screen will pop up, advising you that the kernel is to be rebuilt, relinked and asking if you want to use it to rebuild the system. Choose yes to all of the prompts. The Virtual machine will reconfigure itself to adapt to your new settings, then shut itself down and restart"

None of the above happened??

Reading from the Easy DIS Installation SUPP pdf file:

"The VMware configuration file will open. Go to the beginning of the first line after memsize = “256” and type bios.bootDelay=”5000” then enter. Now save the modified configuration file by choosing “Save”

Again I did this & noticed when I started the Vmware GT1 program, there is a constant error message about using "integer 0"??

Again from the same text:

"The second major tip for installation is in gaining access to the scoadmin functions. As per Shoulders’ VMWare installation guide, you will need this to correct the BDFLUSHER = 660 error and reset its value back to BDFLUSHR =30"

How is this achieved??

I've followed the main thread on the site, particularly champaign777 on page 3 comments.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1385070&page=3

1) run scoadmin (for navigation use the arrows and the tab buttons)

2) In Hardware/Kernel Manager, navigate to [Tune Parameters... ] then press Enter

Select option 1

Buffer management
    Enter
    select the parameters until you see BDFLUSHR
    set BDFLUSHR to 30

Did 1)

Went to 2) Top left - Hardware Tab - but no TUNE PARAMETERS???

Also went to the PDF file for checking the installation works, got to para 7)

Turned on the IFHSRV32, so it was in the lower task bar.

Then I started the Vmware DIS, followed all the instructions again.

Removed the AMD PCNET-PC1 adapter, then went to reinstall it & got nothing but error messages on the CONFIG page???

Can anyone shed any light on the issues I've raised here??

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Shoulders instructions were written before EasyDIS was developed and were intended for installing DIS on Base 39 software. Vista, and Windows 7 were not even thought of back then, so unless you intend to install the software on a very old OS, you will need to have a really good idea of what you are doing if you intend to attempt to follow that route.

Read this First.txt is correct for installation on Windows XP, I believe that Vista may not require the quote marks around the bios.bootDelay = **** statement (the whole purpose for adding this line is to slow your new ***ghz computer down so that you will stand a remote chance of accessing the boot sector of your installation, as this process was originally written when the average PC speed was measured in mhz rather than ghz.)

I have written extensively about the BDFLUSHR issue and will not rehash it again.

Bear in mind, if we were to write succinct instructions on how to successfully install this software on a Windows 95 OS, someone would want to know how to install it on Windows 2000/NT/XP/Vista/Windows 7 or whatever new operating system Microsoft tries to dream up next. The bottom line is that if you intend to use a system that the software was never intended to work on, you will need to be prepared to experiment (and fail) ad nauseum in order to succeed. My first DIS installation succeeded after literally months and hundreds of hours of experimentation with very little in the way of guides or even basic information and, like others on this forum I am only attempting to make available what knowledge I accrued during those many frustrating hours so that others can get there a bit easier.

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD

Arrow

David

As already stated thanks for all your help

The 4 documents that have been provided are a gratefully appreciated & the wealth of information on this subject from yourself & other members on this forum and other sites, especially from similar members who are experiencing the same dilemma is encouraging to know that help is out there.

It just seems strange that a diagnostic system such as DIS, that has been fully documented by full instructions & colour guides & pictures, more or less step by step instructions is causing a lot of headaches for many people.

Whether you are a computer programming boffin or basic learner the instructions provided & available are & should be straight forward to follow to success every time.

But that isn't the case is it.

I personally am using an IBM T43 with Dock + Win XP SP3 all updates connected to an ADS/OBD interface and using the Vmware method of running Easy DIS.

It seems to be from reading every post & thread carefully, for example you can have two different people with the same machine setup & the DIS installation outcome totally different, even though the same installation instructions have been used.

As far as educating myself on this troublesome topic I have spent the last few months trying to put all the jigsaw pieces together, more so the last 2 days going through ALL & every post possible & I have collected a collage of mixed conflicting comments, responses & possible soluble answers resulting in me compiling a word document that will help me succeed in getting it all to work.

If not then time to look for another project.

Its been a pleasure, cheers.
    Last edited by tsam19; 01-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Tsam, don't give up on it. The reason that no 2 installations are identical is that most computers (even those of the same make and model) are configured slightly differently - a video or network card/anti spyware/automatic updates - even the version of vmware you choose and whether you use a true serial or USB to serial adapter etc.

There is no doubt that the process in some cases can be frustrating, but it is also rewarding when you finally succeed. If I start something, I just can't seem to stop until I have overcome all hurdles and in the case of DIS, the amount of extraneous knowledge you have and will acquire is quite astounding.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions but will need to make sure that you only try information that pertains to a setup which reflects your own as closely as possible as in some instances, the answers you receive may not be applicable to your setup. Unfortunately, the knowledge you desperately need to acquire when actually doing your first installation only becomes available as the result of experiences you gain whilst doing it and this will result in you having the ability to do other installations relatively simply.

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD

Arrow

Good news, I managed to find a few solutions to some of my earlier questions:

1) As for inputting the (bios.bootDelay=”5000”) line after the memsize line in the The VMware configuration file - I read about removing the quotation marks & it worked - no error messages upon initial boot up & the boot up is delayed giving the user time to access the bios if need be - I'm using Win XP

2) Type 'scoadmin' after the hash in the UNIX enviroment - easy dis config menu option 7 - left click in open space - then press Ctrl + SysRq which takes you to 'login' - type 'scoadmin' (for navigation use the arrows and the tab buttons)

Allowing/giving me access to the Hardware/Kernel Manager (amongst other options), navigate to by pressing TAB (Tune Parameters) then press Enter

Select option 1 - Buffer management Press Enter

Keep Pressing Enter Scrolling through the differnet parameters (without making any changes to any of the other parameters)

until you see BDFLUSHR

Then set BDFLUSHR to 30

Press 1 to Save & Exit & Reboot (init 6)

3) I didn't bother removing the newly installed AMD PC-1 adapter, I left it as working - even though the DIS v44 & v57 Installation Check PDF suggests to do this & even got the 'REBUILD KERNEL' message' after exiting the hardware tab.

4) After restarting the DIS v44 install from scratch & reading those 4 important documents & reading all the posts as mentioned earlier.

My set up has passed the Ediabas APITEST! (must have IFHSRV32 running before starting DIS)

5) My antivirus & Firewall were removed or disabled 1st before beginning install.

6) Didn't rush the install, kept bouncing back & forth from PDF file to install instructions & other members comments & advice that I had compiled.

7) Although at this stage I have not connected the Laptop & ADS interface to the car to see what happens.

8) Ediabas v6.4.3/Inpa 3.0 work & connect to the car ok.

9) Always made sure I shut down DIS the correct way - Admin>Calibration Screen>Password>Easy Dis Confog Menu> Option 0

Not just powering 'Off'

10) Before trying to connect DIS to the car I believe you have to goto the Easy Dis menu 1st & choose option 1 & Restart Ediabas?

The only thing that I made a note of to check if DIS doesn't connect, is the Easy Dis Ediabas.ini file whilst in the DIS UNIX enviroment - the Interface was set to REMOTE - I'm using ADS....

Other thing I noticed prior to setting the 'processes' option 3 from the easy dis menu there was a FULL colured bar on the DIS main page, top right hand lower icon.

When I changed from 'Softing to Fister' & Rebooted, the coloured bar had dissappeared?

Probably nothing to worry about.

Finally again when I was in the DIS UNIX environment checking the
    'vi hosts' to check the SCCS identification - & added the line 192.168.68.1 diaghead diaghead & saved I noticed there were now "hosts" 6 lines.

Now I've compared that to someone elses set up from the forum site (sassho - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...803202&page=12) & they have hosts 7 lines, probably just there set up or have I missed a line out??

Again everyone's configuration settings for the same or different machines are different, I'm taking note just in case I need to retrace my steps & ammend any settings.

I look forward to trying out later on today.

My Cars
    1995 BMW TD

Question

Can anyone tell me if I need to input any DATA into any of the fields on any of these Admin pages within DIS?

I'm thinking maybe the Network addresses that I have embedded in the Easy Dis v44 install.

Hostname - gt1ap or remote?
    IP Address - 192.168.68.0
    Network Mask - 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway - N/A (Empty)

I am using an ADS interface on a Win XP / vmware platform enviroment.

I have included a pic of the top right hand screen - will these progress bars activate when I connect everything to the car?

Cheers

My Cars
    2000 E46 330i
    Let me know if yours works.
    I tried out my OBD/ADS switchable interface. It didn't work for me as a ADS interface. OBD works find.
    I got the same error message when I try to connect, with "interface = ADS" line in ediabas.ini file.
    Error message was "OpenConnection : CreateFile_Error".

you don't have to worry about inputing any address.
    you don't have to worry about those bars either. Since VM has been disable in DIS, it will not show the reception bars.
    Last edited by pepsicola; 01-15-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Tsam, as pepsicola says, it looks very much like your installation is now ready to go, keep us posted on the result. Now that you have got this far, take a tip and take a snapshot of your installation so that if anything falls over you have an advanced backup point from which to repair your installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast