Thread: Ignition on, key out, engine still running!!!!!!

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320 I SE

Question Ignition on, key out, engine still running!!!!!!

1996 BMW 320 I SE Manual

Had this car 2-3 days, so don't know much history.

Occasionally when starting the car up I noticed the key would spin the barrel and I was unable to start the car, after turning the key backwards and forward 2 or 3 times it would start!

Went to the cinema tonight and when I pulled up and tried to turn the ignition off the key wouldn’t move, but it did come out of the barrel, Engine still running, Ignition on. After putting the key in and out I couldn’t turn it off! Stalled the car, Ignition light still on I locked the car and went to the cinema (No problems in locking the door)! Came out of the cinema unlocked the car and Ignition lights still on! Couldn’t turn ignition off to start the car do had to bump start it! Stalled it when I got home to cut the engine. Car is currently parked up, locked with the ignition on, key in my pocket (only have the 1 key).

Any recommendations of how to start the car in the morning? Or is it a new key and barrel?????

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Sounds like you're going to need a new lock cylinder.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots84 View Post
    Sounds like you're going to need a new lock cylinder.
    Indeed. This failure has been well covered and searching will turn up the information you need. Driving the car in this condition would be unwise. With an unreliable ignition cylinder, you could find yourself on the road and in the middle of traffic with a locked steering wheel. It's a worst case scenario, but a most frightening one!

My Cars
    Alpinweiß E36, E46 S2 M3
    I just pulled my ignition tumbler out this afternoon. I'm just waiting on a new one from BMW to send me the replacement from the factory. It's a pretty easy fix.
    "God is Speed, Time is the Devil." Nietzsche

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianHotRod View Post
    I just pulled my ignition tumbler out this afternoon. I'm just waiting on a new one from BMW to send me the replacement from the factory. It's a pretty easy fix.

How much is that going to run you ? And what do they ask from you to match the tumbler to your keys ?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320 I SE
    You say direct from the factory! Is that via a dealer? Can you supply me some detail please!?!?!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    New lock cylinder matched to your key is less than $100 and only available from a dealer. They will ask you for proof of ownership such as title, registration and probably your drivers license. Have them make copies of it in case you ever have to go back and get keys.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 320 I SE
    All good now! Found a thread about this, said to take the switch off the bottom of the barrel and gentle twister bottom of the barrel with a pair of grips. Hey presto all put back together and works wonders! Just gotta keep an eye on it and a screwdrive and grips in the glovebox!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Just had this happen to me in my E36 97 M3 sedan. I'll give srobins1's idea a shot. If not I'll have to get a new cylinder from the Stealership. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by srobins1 View Post
    All good now! Found a thread about this, said to take the switch off the bottom of the barrel and gentle twister bottom of the barrel with a pair of grips. Hey presto all put back together and works wonders! Just gotta keep an eye on it and a screwdrive and grips in the glovebox!
    Hey where can I find this forum?

Thanks
    Last edited by xR0WDYx; 09-08-2010 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost