Thread: e34 automatic air contioning console swap. Is it possible?

My Cars
    e34 520i

e34 automatic air contioning console swap. Is it possible?

Hello guys... I´ve been looking around trying to find any advice about the possibility of swaping the common climate control module in my e34 with the automatic one... But I dont know what it would take, if it is only a matter of interchange one unit with the other or if it requieres something else like motorized valves and things like that...

Anyone can help me sort this out? thanks a lot in advance.

I dont know how to upload pictures of the different consoles so I´ll paste the link for ahoter forum thread where I succesfully uploaded the pictures... Hope I´m not disobeying any forum rule.

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/5-s...tml#post618187

My Cars
    '94 525i
    If you can speak german or have the time to translate this, it should help you through it. Maybe there's a english version?
    http://e34.de/tips_tricks/ihka/ihka.pdf

My Cars
    1995 525i 5spd
    I asked this question a while back. WAAYYYY too much work. I love little upgrades for our cars to upmodel or later model stuff, but this one is SOOO not worth it for the little gain.

My Cars
    various
    Can be done but is a headache. heater box, stepper motors etc have to be swapped. Complete dash removal required.

The question is why. They are problematic. stepper motor mounts break, sensors fail. (I know!) not worth the headache. I'd rather go the other way.

MarchelloBB is offline ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 100 %
    My Cars
    90 535a
    I have an auto but I have the exact one you do right now?

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Trust me you don't want to go there, I wish I could toss my unreliable, trouble-prone auto control garbage for a good ol' manual bowden cable system.
    In all seriousness, you would have to rip out everything that is in front of the frt 2 seats (minus the steering column) to just install the physical pieces - then comes wiring it up which would be a nightmare. Sometimes simple is best.

My Cars
    e34 520i
    Thanks Guys!!! To be sincere, I was a little sad because since I´ve posted this thread I thought that there wasnt any answers as my email notifications werent properly configured.

Anyway... It´s decided, no automatic air conditioning, I´ll remani with my actual bowden console. I was thinking about the other one just to have more buttons on the car, wich I like, and on the other hand to gain a bit more clearance for the lower area of the navigation screen as it touches the left side temperature gauge when the Navy is turned off.

But I´ll stay as it is...

As another new... there should be soon another e34, if everything goes ok I´ll be posting pictures of my new baby next week... Wish me luck and see you soon.

Thanks a lot again

My Cars
    1984 318i, 1998 M3
    That one is supposedly better than the original one? I always thought it looked out of place. gonze3434 you should buy an OBC if you are looking to upgrade items. It would be a great upgrade and very easy to install.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    What are the advantages of the automatic system?