Thread: battery jump

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport

battery jump

I try to understand how I can start my car quick without charging battery in case of low voltage ( again my wife forgets to turn off saloon light )

Do I need to start a second car or just connect jumper cables ?

Also here it is mentioned that it needs connect the negative jumper cable to a chassis ground . Is it really necessary ?
    I dont understand how i can do it at the same time on "both vehicles" ... Do i need one more cable ? One positive and 2 negative ?

Somebody can give more light on this issue ?

================================================== ========
    Jump-starting BMW vehicles should be avoided, as it may cause damage to certain electrical components. The electrical components found in BMWs (and most other cars) are designed to handle up to 15 volts for brief periods only. Jump-starting equipment found on some tow trucks operates at 18 volts or as high as 24 volts. Disconnecting the battery, then charging it, is the recommended alternative.

When jump-starting is the only option, you can take these steps to ensure the vehicle's electrical components are not damaged:
    • Ensure that the vehicle being jump-started and the vehicle used to jump-start are not touching each other. Ground points exist on some bumpers.
    • Ensure that both vehicles have batteries of the same voltage and of approximately the same ampere-hour rating (to guarantee you'll have enough power to jump start the dead car).
    • Connect the positive jumper cable to the positive (B+ junction) post on the dead battery, and then to the positive terminal on the vehicle providing the jump-start.
    • Connect the negative jumper cable to a chassis ground on both vehicles. This protects sensitive electronic components from damaging voltage surges by using the damping action of the chassis ground.
    • Jump-start the vehicle. Before disconnecting the jumper cables, switch on: the heater fan at highest speed, the rear window defroster and the low beam headlights. Activating these reduces the voltage surge at the moment the jumper cables are disconnected.
    • Disconnect the negative cable, then the positive. Maintaining this order ensure that any momentary arcing that might occur is away from the battery and the engine compartment, where flammable gases may develop.
    Remember, failure to follow these procedures may result in damage to sensitive electrical components. Damage is a virtual certainty if performed with equipment that delivers over 15 volts.
    ================================================== ========

Thanks !
    Last edited by champaign777; 03-06-2010 at 04:56 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I don't know where you got that info above from...but I'd refer you to your BMWs owners manua. The only thing that I would add is...make sure the 2nd vehicle is RUNNING which will mean that the supply will be adequately charged...and use the remote jump start location UNDER the hood of your E39...avoid jumping from the battery itself...that is the way to "protect" the sensitive system of your BMW:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Awesome !

can i use a jumpstart (12.5V ) device instead of second car ?
    Last edited by champaign777; 03-06-2010 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    You can try it...but our cars require a lot of juice to start. If your battery is not discharged too far...you may be able to get by with one of those portable battery pack thingys.

Sometimes when using a 2nd vehicle, you may have to let them stay connected for up to 5 minutes before the battery has enough "juice" to start the car. Just remember to use the remote jump start locations under the hood. There's multiple reasons why BMW put them there.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    ya I bought one portable today ...
    charged 4 hours and then tried - no luck ... lot of juice a ?
    ( manual said full charge up to 34 H )

Unfortunately my wife parked car in front to the wall so now I need or
    take battery again to dealer/ shop
    charge it with my small charger (1.5A) which will take probably 2 days as my battery voltage is 5V now
    try to charge this remote portable battery and then start the car

I just try to find some best solution as this happens to me all time
    Last edited by champaign777; 03-06-2010 at 07:59 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Not sure of your garage/driveway set up...but if you can push the car out from the garage so that you can hook it up to your other car...that may work. Just turn the ignition to position 1 or 2 so that you can release the gear shift and steering column...then roll her on back out (carefully).

But if the discharged battery is at 5v...man...that sounds like it's a goner! Even if you can put it on a long slow 2 amp charge for 24 hours...a battery that discharged may not be able to "HOLD" a charge and quickly fall as soon as you try to start the car again. At 11.89 volts a working battery is at 0% state of charge...and is using its reserve capacity and cold cranking amps to get the car started.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    i just checked with my voltmeter ... battery is a new Interstate ...

Will check tomorrow how charger portable work ...

update :
    no luck with portable charger today ...
    ok i started it with my second car as Guru recomended from Engine , so far so goooooood
    lesson - don't spend your time , just start it with another car as per manual

BIG NO TO JUMP FROM BATTERY

cheers !
    Last edited by champaign777; 08-31-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Thank you for the informative posts.
    Last edited by Dvcedmolswe; 03-22-2015 at 07:34 AM.