Thread: Guibo Bolt Direction?

My Cars
    98 M3

Guibo Bolt Direction?

I'm getting ready to replace my guibo, but I'm still confused about what direction the bolts go - mainly because of the pictures on the pelican parts DIY.

The original guibo has the arrows pointing at the flanges, but all the bolts are in the same direction:

http://www.101projects.com/BMW/Proje...s/DSC03502.JPG

However, when they install the new guibo the arrows still point to the flange, but now the bolts are reversed:

http://www.101projects.com/BMW/Proje...s/DSC04491.JPG

I'm thinking the first picture is correct since that is how it came from the factory, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Either way will work just fine, but I ended up doing like in link #2.

My Cars
    1999 M3 (Manual) (Cosmos on Tan)
    My .02 on this (Did mine last year) is that you are supposed to turn the nut and hold the bolt to tighten it up, thus they probably didn't want the turning surface trying to rotate the little support sleeve inside the guibo.

Have the rotating part (the nut) rub against the thicker steel from the flanges.
    ... and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for dessert. Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Sidewalk

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by zhollett View Post
    Have the rotating part (the nut) rub against the thicker steel from the flanges.
    This is how I do it.
    I've seen pics of all facing the same direction, but I think that's wrong.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    99 E36 M3
    Whats the easiest way of doing this? I need to replace my guibo.
    Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right!

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    This is how I do it.
    I've seen pics of all facing the same direction, but I think that's wrong.
    But isn't that how it came from the factory?

My Cars
    98 M3
    Ok, think I got this sorted. Bentley manual has arrows pointing toward the flange with all the bolts going the same direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 M3
    From what I gathered, arrows towards the flange, with nuts on the flange. When torquing, the nuts are "spinning" against the flange and not on the rubber on the guibo.

Anybody who's done this job on car, I guess would know it's pretty much impossible to do that. The point for it all, AFAIK, is to keep from stressing the rubber in the disc and causing premature failure.

When I did it, all the bolts/nuts were oriented the correct way, but I lubed up the bolt head side so as to use the torque wrench on that and not risk fubaring the disc.

Whether it works, or worked, remains to be seen........so far, so good.

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    The arrows indicate that flange should be at that hole on the guibo.
    You'll have a nut on the flange side.
    You'll find that it is faster, easier and correct, for three bolts to face forwards and three to face backwards.

m

My Cars
    e36 + e34
    Just finished this job late december, IIRC i alternated the bolt directions corresponding to the arrow on the guibo, i used pelican parts as my reference for the work. so far 100%

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    I've always done it with 3 bolts forward, 3 backwards, with the nut always on a metal flange (tranny and driveshaft side).
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by xanol View Post
    But isn't that how it came from the factory?
    IDR, exactly, and I was the first one to do any mechanical work on the car, but I'm quite certain I put them back the same way I found them.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    if tou are worried about bolt orientation, in practical theory it will not matter if a washer is used on both sides to spread the load...which is never a bad idea
    -Rich-

My Cars
    96 E36 318i/s
    Hey all, I'm in the middle of doing this now, and based on realoem's diagram, I should put the bolts from the gearbox side, in from the gearbox side, but there isn't enough room? The problem with doing it the other way is they are very, very close to the gearbox housing, I don't wanna end up spanking the gearbox casing and fubarjng it all.

I can take the others out and change them, as much as I don't want to, but yeah I can't get the bloody bolts in the holes

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    The bolt heads face to the rear of the car on all 6 bolts.

My Cars
    96 E36 318i/s
    I've spoken to a Chao about it. Turns out BMW have me the wrong bolts last time, and they're too long, so I've had to out them the wrong way round in the prop side so they didn't end up smacking the gearbox. Ta though