Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: softest poly motor mount?

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36

softest poly motor mount?

Whats the softest poly urethane MM for an e36?

I was thinking about the UUC or AKG black?

Powertrain: Big Bore 87mm S50| Boost Logic Gen 2 Mani | BorgWarner S366 | CP 8.5:1 pistons | Eagle Rods | O-Ringed block | Tial 50mm | Precision 46mm | LINK G4 standalone | ZF| F1 stage 3 clutch/15lb ltwfw| UUC Black TM/E| Vorshlag MM's | 3.23LSD w/AKG race bushings| AKG race subframe bushings| 'Bear Motorsports' Re-enforced subframe | Walbro 525lp fp| VPD pulleys| 4'' DP into 3.5 straight pipe"||
    Handling: FK konigsports| '95 M3 strut mounts| Rogue Engineering RSM's| UUC RTAB's| 20mm front spacers| 2915lbs Full interior
    Aesthetics: M3 bumpers| 18''x 8.5/9.5 BBS LMs| ZKW's| 50w 6000k HID| Smoked Corners| 50% wndshld/5% all around| M3 sedan seats F&R| Black headliner| Black/Grey suede door panels| ZHP knob| M3 steering Wheel|

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    They're both 80A except UUC has more poly and is isolated. They feel just like fresh OE mounts.
    Last edited by Brent 930; 02-09-2010 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36
    how much nvh do you think the akg has over the uuc?

Powertrain: Big Bore 87mm S50| Boost Logic Gen 2 Mani | BorgWarner S366 | CP 8.5:1 pistons | Eagle Rods | O-Ringed block | Tial 50mm | Precision 46mm | LINK G4 standalone | ZF| F1 stage 3 clutch/15lb ltwfw| UUC Black TM/E| Vorshlag MM's | 3.23LSD w/AKG race bushings| AKG race subframe bushings| 'Bear Motorsports' Re-enforced subframe | Walbro 525lp fp| VPD pulleys| 4'' DP into 3.5 straight pipe"||
    Handling: FK konigsports| '95 M3 strut mounts| Rogue Engineering RSM's| UUC RTAB's| 20mm front spacers| 2915lbs Full interior
    Aesthetics: M3 bumpers| 18''x 8.5/9.5 BBS LMs| ZKW's| 50w 6000k HID| Smoked Corners| 50% wndshld/5% all around| M3 sedan seats F&R| Black headliner| Black/Grey suede door panels| ZHP knob| M3 steering Wheel|

My Cars
    E91 328i, Spec3, etc
    Judging from how low your car is to the ground, I don't think that NVH from the motor mounts is what you are going to be experiencing.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Vorshlag motor mounts Chase.... LOVE MINE
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Why soft urethane? Why not stock M3 engine mounts? Urethane mounts that are not through-bolt can tear.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    ESS TS2+ ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
    Why soft urethane? Why not stock M3 engine mounts?
    Or the BimmerWorld solid rubber mounts (similar to the GroupN mounts)? I just installed a set of these a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with them.
    04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 coilovers 550/650 | APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BimmerWorld engine mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | EMP Stewart water pump

My Cars
    should be boosted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHP View Post
    Or the BimmerWorld solid rubber mounts (similar to the GroupN mounts)? I just installed a set of these a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with them.
    I got these, installed last month, they will raise your motor about 3mm or more and the engine will still move almost the same, no NVH felt whatsoever, I wanna get stiffer mounts,

My Cars
    318is
    +1 poly melts and deforms with heat. It will eventually tear.

Stock mounts are the way to go for you. They last much longer and probably cost less.
    I like small engines, so what!

My Cars
    ESS TS2+ ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrosobmw View Post
    I got these, installed last month, they will raise your motor about 3mm or more and the engine will still move almost the same, no NVH felt whatsoever, I wanna get stiffer mounts,
    I did notice the slight increase in motor height but I had a substantial reduction in motor movement and gained a noticeable (although not objectionable) amount of NVH. FWIW, I'm comparing to stock e46 non-M motor mounts on a motor making substantially more torque than stock.
    04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 coilovers 550/650 | APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BimmerWorld engine mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | EMP Stewart water pump

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by robjohnson View Post
    +1 poly melts and deforms with heat. It will eventually tear.

Stock mounts are the way to go for you. They last much longer and probably cost less.
    Wait... what? Are you talking about bonded poly mounts, with the melting and tearing?

Our bolt-thru poly mounts don't melt, tear, fail, etc, well.... unless they are in a fire? Everything has a melting point, I guess.

They are not like the "soft" poly mounts, though (our E36 mounts use 95A poly for an E36 M/S-50/52). 95A poly is like giving "Enzyte" or "V1AGR4" to your motor mounts, permanently.

Just sayin'...
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
    Why soft urethane? Why not stock M3 engine mounts? Urethane mounts that are not through-bolt can tear.
    because i dont want to keep replacing them but i want something that will put the power to the ground but not have to replace every 3 years with little or no nvh.

will the uuc's eventually melt not like the vorshlag?

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Nothing is forever. All items you use alot needs to be maintained or repaired/replaced at one point.

I have a set of Vorshlag 95A motor mounts on there way and I'll be installing them soon!

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWFanatic View Post
    because i dont want to keep replacing them but i want something that will put the power to the ground but not have to replace every 3 years with little or no nvh.

will the uuc's eventually melt not like the vorshlag?
    Then UUC or Bimmerworld solid rubber mounts are the way to go. You still re use the heat shield so they shouldn't melt. UUC has a lifetime warranty for their mounts.

Vorshlag's will add some vibration vs. the ones I mentioned. You also re use the heat with them.
    Last edited by Brent 930; 02-06-2010 at 04:29 PM.

My Cars
    93 325iS

Re: softest poly motor mount?

Quote Originally Posted by ZHP

On my friends stock 330, the BW rubber mounts were so harsh he had to remove them. I have Vorshlags and they are pretty damn stiff, added a TON of NVH over my old crappy Irelands.

If you want something softish, I'd do stock M3 mounts. Or Vorshlags if you want stiff mounts.

My Cars
    ESS TS2+ ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrosobmw View Post
    I did notice the slight increase in motor height but I had a substantial reduction in motor movement and gained a noticeable (although not objectionable) amount of NVH. FWIW, I'm comparing to stock e46 non-M motor mounts on a motor making substantially more torque than stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    On my friends stock 330, the BW rubber mounts were so harsh he had to remove them.
    Hmm... it seems the BW mounts are either too soft and have no added NVH, are much stiffer than stock with so little difference in NVH that my wife didn't even notice I had installed them, or they are so harsh they can't be tolerated. That's quite the range of experiences.

SiGmA, what transmission mounts was your friend running along with the BW motor mounts and how long did they leave the motor mounts installed? I noticed some added vibration at first that seemed to settle out after a few days. Did they also have a LW flywheel? Was the harmonic balancer ever inspected?

If NVH is a concern, stick with stock M3 mounts.
    Last edited by ZHP; 02-07-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '08 Z4MC, '95 325i
    I put the UUC's in my daily driver and didn't notice much (if any) increase in NVH over OEM m3 mounts . This was with poly trans, subframe, and diff mounts already installed, so my tolerance for NVH might be a bit different...

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Corteco stock mounts are good, for say 60k miles. Only issue is they aren't solid. I rather have a solid mount of some sort and call it good for as long as I own my car without issues. Bad or worn mounts can cause serveral issues.

Hearing BW mounts are harsh is a first.

My Cars
    '06 4Runner| 77 930| E36
    Quote Originally Posted by dswads34 View Post
    I put the UUC's in my daily driver and didn't notice much (if any) increase in NVH over OEM m3 mounts . This was with poly trans, subframe, and diff mounts already installed, so my tolerance for NVH might be a bit different...
    Ive had uuc black tme's for about 2 years now, do you have the race or black tme?

My Cars
    '08 Z4MC, '95 325i
    Ive had uuc black tme's for about 2 years now, do you have the race or black tme?
    UUC red's (not the race version).

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I have found that UUC bushings/mounts are more forgiving than most.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Hmm... it seems the BW mounts are either too soft and have no added NVH, are much stiffer than stock with so little difference in NVH that my wife didn't even notice I had installed them, or they are so harsh they can't be tolerated. That's quite the range of experiences.

SiGmA, what transmission mounts was your friend running along with the BW motor mounts and how long did they leave the motor mounts installed? I noticed some added vibration at first that seemed to settle out after a few days. Did they also have a LW flywheel? Was the harmonic balancer ever inspected?
    I believe he had the BW rubber tranny mounts, I think. He had the mounts on for a couple weeks at least. Stock flywheel, and the balancer appeared ok when we did the belts. No rubber coming apart.

My Cars
    ESS TS2+ ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    I believe he had the BW rubber tranny mounts, I think. He had the mounts on for a couple weeks at least. Stock flywheel, and the balancer appeared ok when we did the belts. No rubber coming apart.
    Then perhaps he torqued his mounts down tighter than I did. It might also help that I've got my car set to idle around 900-950 rpm. My wife instantly noticed (...and complained) after I installed the Vorshlag poly mounts. She never even noticed the BW mounts.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    His car idles at 650? I forget. Stock idle RPM. I wouldn't be surprised if he over torqued his nuts, he has done that before. lol. I thought I might have over torqued my Vorshlags due to the major NHV, but after loosening them, as well as talking to Terry regarding how much I torqued them, I still have NVH. Oh well in my car, I don't mind in the least. The car is "raw" lol.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - S50 B32 Swap
    Here are some pictures of what happens to UUC motor mounts. We took these off of a car today. As you can tell, the mounts both failed. There are less than 20 track days on this car, very minimal street driving.

BOTH sides failed on this particular car. When we got the subframe out, the driver's side top plate just fell off. The passenger side was plucked out using two fingers and minimal effort. The engine started moving, the pulley started pressing into the electric fan, which in turn pressed into the PWR 57mm radiator and killed it. This is the second time I've seen this exact scenario play out and the third set of these mounts I've seen fail with my own eyes.

Notice the pick of the top end plate... UUC not only doesn't use a through-bolt design, not even a J hook - it's just a bolt head plopped in urethane. These things have NO chance of lasting any appreciable amount of time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast