Thread: Z4 Under Hood rubber hood bumpers ?

My Cars
    00 Red Z3, 07 Z4si

Z4 Under Hood rubber hood bumpers ?

One of the things I found missing was a one inch square, black rubber bumper, that attaches to the under side of the hood. There are 2 of them, one on each side of the hood. The location of both rubber bumpers is on both sides of the center of the hood's underside, and attached about 4 inches UP from the top of the hood lifters/shocks,............ as one is looking up under the raised hood. The bumpers are wedged into a place where the sheet metal has a thin opening, like where two pieces of sheet metal are spot welded together and the opening is left for such a rubber shock absorber.

I discovered one of these missing. I had oil service today and requested that it be replaced. I was charge $9.31 plus NC tax for the thing, and discovered that it had not been replaced when I later returned 35 miles to home. I was a bit surprised to find that I was charged for it. I thought this would be covered under warranty?

I called & left a message on the serv. manager's phone after returning but have not heard back yet.

My work receipt states that part # 51-24-8-187-291 (BUFFER STOP with EJ) was replaced.

I now question if something else was replaced instead??

Can someone tell me where I might find a photo of this part described above? I need to figure out what was replaced, because there appears to have been some kind of mistake.

THANKS in advance, Bo

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by bocash3 View Post
    One of the things I found missing was a one inch square, black rubber bumper, that attaches to the under side of the hood. There are 2 of them, one on each side of the hood. The location of both rubber bumpers is on both sides of the center of the hood's underside, and attached about 4 inches UP from the top of the hood lifters/shocks,............ as one is looking up under the raised hood. The bumpers are wedged into a place where the sheet metal has a thin opening, like where two pieces of sheet metal are spot welded together and the opening is left for such a rubber shock absorber.

I discovered one of these missing. I had oil service today and requested that it be replaced. I was charge $9.31 plus NC tax for the thing, and discovered that it had not been replaced when I later returned 35 miles to home. I was a bit surprised to find that I was charged for it. I thought this would be covered under warranty?

I called & left a message on the serv. manager's phone after returning but have not heard back yet.

My work receipt states that part # 51-24-8-187-291 (BUFFER STOP with EJ) was replaced.

I now question if something else was replaced instead??

Can someone tell me where I might find a photo of this part described above? I need to figure out what was replaced, because there appears to have been some kind of mistake.

THANKS in advance, Bo
    $7.16 suggested retail. They added 30%.

See item 14 in the following:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&fg=35&hl=17

My Cars
    2007 Imola Red/Black
    They replaced the wrong part. The part they replaced (which often go bad as a result of slamming the hood or the stop itself being improperly adjusted too high) is a hard rubber grommet with a metallic pin that sits in the center of it that should stick up. There are two of them and they screw in on the flat pannel between the radiator and the front fascia plastic. Specifically, it's called a Buffer Stop with ejector. Their purpose is to provide resistance against the hood to (a) keep it from rattling when closed and to (b) pop open the hood when you pull the hood release lever.

Essentially, it's a hard rubber tube, threaded on the outside, that screws into the sheet metal. Within the inside of the tube is a metal pin with a very high-strength spring. The problem is that the pin and spring are only held in by a plastic cap on the bottom of the assembly...So if you slam the hood or close the hood hard with the buffer stop not screwed all the way in, you could force the pin through the bottom cap and now you lose everything. 9 times out of ten, you just lose the spring so the pin ends up sliding freely down into the buffer stop until you can no longer get to it. The rest of the times, the pin has also disappeared.

There is a BMW buffer stop with ejector assembly that requires less pressure to operate and a number of the Z4 guys have replaced their units with these lower pressure ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
    $7.16 suggested retail. They added 30%.

See item 14 in the following:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&fg=35&hl=17
    I believe the part you wanted them to replace was #7, although the drawing makes it look much longer than it is in real life.
    Last edited by jragan; 07-30-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    His: RIP-E86 ///M Coupe: Pics Track Pics Vids
    Hers: 997-1 C4S: Pics

My Cars
    00 Red Z3, 07 Z4si
    Quote Originally Posted by jragan View Post
    They replaced the wrong part.

I believe the part you wanted them to replace was #7, although the drawing makes it look much longer than it is in real life.
    Thanks to you both for the replies.

jragan, I believe you are correct. Part # 7 is the only one it could be, but the drawing makes it look like it is about 4 times bigger than it really is. I will call them again in the morning and get the correct part. I thought I described it adequately to the serv. manager, but I should have just opened the hood and showed him.

THANKS. You guys are the greatest!! Bo