Thread: Low profile floor jack

My Cars
    2012 Toyota Venza

Low profile floor jack

Do you have any recommendations for a good not too expensive low profile floor jack?

Thanks Bill

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    whatever you do, don't get a craftsman. Great jack for a year and 2 months (warranty expired at 1 year, of course), the ujoint to release the jack broke, so I had to use pliers to lower it, then finally the whole thing failed and leaked oil everywhere

that being said, I'm using a $25 walmart special, hasn't failed me yet

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by IRPancake View Post
    whatever you do, don't get a craftsman. Great jack for a year and 2 months (warranty expired at 1 year, of course), the ujoint to release the jack broke, so I had to use pliers to lower it, then finally the whole thing failed and leaked oil everywhere

that being said, I'm using a $25 walmart special, hasn't failed me yet
    This man speaks the truth, but mine hasn't spit oil out yet and mine's at least 5 yrs old. I do have to use pliers though to release it.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Costco has a nice low profile one. My craftsman jack is still in service since I got it in 1985 in high School.

I also have had good luck with a few aluminum jacks from Harbor Freight. One is new and I have only used it a few times the other gets used about every week for the past 5 years. Just always use good jack stands with any floor jack. They all break at some point
    Last edited by CABimmer; 07-22-2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    I was just going to recommend the Craftsman Aluminum.

i have been using it regularly for 3-4 years now with no issues. Previously I had the Harbor Freight aluminum and that thing failed after 6 months.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    And I have been using the Harbor Freight aluminum jack for 7 years for changing tires at the autocross, so it gets a lot of rough use. Looks like you just pay your money and take your chances.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    Looks like you just pay your money and take your chances.
    +1
    I think that the real difference in price is that all of the high-price ones are good, while only some of the low-price ones are. You aren't paying for quality, you're paying for consistent quality.

That said, my Harbor Freight "Big Red" aluminum has been bombproof so far, with a year's use and 10+ autox's.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 2009 M3
    I have been using one of the smaller aluminum jacks from harbor freight for about 6 months now without any issue, and right now they are 59 dollars. In my opinion that can't be beat.
    2000 M Coupe, TCK coilovers, BBS RK.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandS62 View Post
    I was just going to recommend the Craftsman Aluminum.

i have been using it regularly for 3-4 years now with no issues. Previously I had the Harbor Freight aluminum and that thing failed after 6 months.
    No issues with the Craftsman Alumninum after 3years of use either... although I have heard of countless negative reviews about this jack. Guess I just got lucky.

My Cars
    99 M Roady Evergreen
    I 2nd or 3rd.....the Costco floor-jack, although the one I picked up is real heavy. Works great though. I've had it for 4 months now.

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    I have the Habor Freight aluminum race jack. It's $80... if it breaks, I'll buy another one. Buy yourself a nice set of jack stands.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    I bought this one. Arrived quickly and the thing is almost shockingly well finished. Made in China.. Ranger is a division of Bend Pak http://www.bendpak.com/, who makes lifts, so I have some trust of their product. It's not a cheapie, but not the most expensive either, and I've seen how crudely some cheap ones are made. They also make other models that aren't aluminum, and higher capacity. But this one is low-profile and lighter.
    http://www.eautotools.com/Ranger-RFJ...rfj-3000al.htm

The handle is 2 pieces that snap lock together. (Alumunium finish on mine, not red as shown). The rubber pad for lifting is decently sized.
    Last edited by Kenn; 07-23-2009 at 01:13 AM.

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    Been usng Harbor Freight (1.5 ton) for several years now and it has served me very well. It worked great through the conversion project, it's very light so I bring it to track/autocross. I say it's perfect for the Z, although it will flex if you try and use it on anything much heavier than the Z (such as an e46). They are super durable for what they are, for those who are afraid of Harbor Freight you'd be surprised how many you see at a track or autocross event, heck just last weekend I saw some teams using them at the ALMS race at LRP.

Here's a good (but old) writeup that was done by Vorshlag comparing jacks http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_jacks1.php
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

My Cars
    02 996 cab, 08 E350
    Went through two Craftsmen with light use over about ten years--1350# car, one side at a time, ten or so autocrosses a year--both blew seals. I now have the HF aluminum, and it's worked fine for over a year on the M and the other cars. Its release isn't confidence-inspiring, but it's OK if you're careful to keep the handle straight and release it slowly.

My Cars
    2012 Toyota Venza
    Dytrdr5,

I couldn't find one for $59 on Harbor freight. Did I miss it?

Thanks Bill

My Cars
    97 Z3/92 Miata/VW
    I like my CarQuest Aluminum low profile. But I think that as long as you're not using it as much as a professional mechanic or pit crew, just about any will last you a while.

My Cars
    Z3 1.9-Z3 2.8-F30 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bhurley View Post
    Dytrdr5,

I couldn't find one for $59 on Harbor freight. Did I miss it?

Thanks Bill

This is the one on sale in stores right now.

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi

My Cars
    2012 Toyota Venza
    Thanks for the recommendations guys

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Don't cheap out on your jack. There is nothing that can be replaced as a result of a jack failure for the money you saved by buying a cheap jack.

The setup below represents a ~$450 investment that is a joy to use, never gives me cause to worry, and will almost certainly outlive me.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 2009 M3
    yeah that's the one, I looked in the weekly ads and it was 59. I know that it was advertised in last months motortrend for that price and it said prices good through 11/09
    2000 M Coupe, TCK coilovers, BBS RK.