Thread: my cupholder solution

My Cars
    528i, Maxima

my cupholder solution

so i had some free time on my hands and decided to make cup holders for the e39.

here is my first attempt: two MDF layers sandwiched together

here is the second version. one piece of MDF shaped to cover the opening. I am still debating on how to make the opening for 12V outlet

Its a very basic Plastidip finish but what do you guys think?

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    If she works- she's fine!!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Not bad.
    I think I like the Ultimate Cup Holder solution better.
    http://ultimatecupholders.com

My Cars
    528i, Maxima
    it seems to work so far. I'll try it for a while and if it keeps working, then i'll have to give it a finish worthy to be in the car.

The only thing that it really covers is the climate control display, but I just set one temp and leave it alone for the most part.

I debated about getting the ultimate cup holder but I didn't like the idea of reaching down while driving where the ultimate-cup-holder sits.

I personally don't like having bottles near the pedals.. it brings back nightmares from my college days when a bottle rolled under the pedals while i was driving. luckily it was mostly empty so i could press the brake and crush it but it could have been bad.

My Cars
    Jeep, merc wag
    don't drink and drive.....

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Not bad!
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    2006 e91 320D
    not bad, when finished with a bmw worthy look please make more pics.

My Cars
    01' 525i; 98' Camry
    Necessity is the mother of invention!

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Nice attempt at a solution but do the drinks fly out when you accelerate??

I just spent $2 and 5-minutes to buy a couple of the Bell plastic cupholders and mounted them on either side of the shift column...it was a suggested DIY on one of the forums (maybe here). They're gray so they match my interior, work very well and hold big bottles...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post

I just spent $2 and 5-minutes to buy a couple of the Bell plastic cupholders and mounted them on either side of the shift column...it was a suggested DIY on one of the forums (maybe here). They're gray so they match my interior, work very well and hold big bottles...
    Anthony,

Post #3 in this thread.
    And, it was on this forum. chiefwej!
    From the FAQ~
    Where can I find decent cup holders?
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 06-23-2009 at 10:51 PM.

My Cars
    528i, Maxima
    they definitely don't fly off when accelerating (its an I6). I was more concerned about the lateral G's but so far no, they don't fly off.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by colombobeat View Post
    they definitely don't fly off when accelerating (its an I6).

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    I tried this way at first but I don't where the drinks are; it gets in the way of the shifter radar detector, and radio, plus it doesn't hold the drinks very well. It's probably fine for most people though, especially if you have an auto.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    E39: 01 530i
    Ultimates for me, and working fine.

I dont allow cans, and strongly discourage cups/lids, so bottles are about the only thing in my car...no issues at all.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Anthony,

Post #3 in this thread.
    And, it was on this forum. chiefwej!
    From the FAQ~
    Where can I find decent cup holders?
    Yo Bro...wuz up? That link you provided in post #3 is to the expensive version of the low cost drug store solution and I did check it out but decided it was worth it to check out the lower cost solution first and it works!! 2 whole dollars and a couple minutes of my time scored two very functional cupholders that don't look half bad (stealthy enough for me) and were a piece of cake to install.

Only one installed in this photo but you get the idea (that's a 1.25 Liter bottle down there). Also notice the upgraded 16:9/MKIII (running in split screen mode here) and the legally mounted, hardwired RX65 that I installed when I grew tired of having the coil cord being stylishly stretched across my MID/dash and taking up my lighter socket...

Last edited by ViolinARC; 06-24-2009 at 03:15 PM.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Yo Bro...wuz up? That link you provided in post #3 is to the expensive version of the low cost drug store solution and I did check it out but decided it was worth it to check out the lower cost solution first and it works!! 2 whole dollars and a couple minutes of my time scored two very functional cupholders that don't look half bad (stealthy enough for me) and were a piece of cake to install.

Hope you guys had a decent camping trip!
    I was actually just making sure you checked post #3. I was really referring to cheifwej's solution that I believe you got the idea from.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Cup holders in your E39 in 10 min. less than $5.

I hear everyone whine about the lack of functional cup holders in their cars. About a week after I acquired my E39, I solved this problem for less than $5 in about ten minutes.

Step 1. Go to your local Wal-Mart and buy a set of Bell cup holders. They come in a package of four and cost less than $5 (on sale they’re less than $2). They also come in several colors so you may be able to match your interior. Mine is grey so I bought grey.

Step 2. Break off the little tab that turns down on the end of two of the cup holders. SEE BELOW.

Step 3. Slip the end of the remaining tab into the seam along side the center console in front of each front seat.

You now have very serviceable cup holders in your E39. They will even hold a Big Gulp! And if they do ever spill (mine never have) it will be in the floor.

OPTION: Take the remaining two cup holders (without the tabs broken), lift the rear seat cushion slightly, slip in the tab and snap the seat back down. You will now have an E39 with cup holders both front and back.

I'm tired of hearing about people complain about something that is so trivial and can be solved with just a little bit of ingenuity. It is a great car and I'm more interested in driving than drinking. But once in a while you do need a sip of water.
    /wej

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Camping was sweet...thanks!

BINGO Bro on the second cupholder link but DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT cut the tabs off cause you will have cupholders that slide out of their mounted position. I first bought two black ones for $1 and followed the tab cutting procedure only to have to buy two more cause the ones with the cut tabs wouldn't stay in place...just FYI.
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 06-24-2009 at 03:20 PM.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Camping was sweet...thanks!

BINGO Bro on the second cupholder link but DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT cut the tabs off cause you will have cupholders that slide out of their mounted position. I first bought two black ones for $1 and followed the tab cutting procedure only to have to buy two more cause the ones with the cut tabs wouldn't stay in place...just FYI.
    That's an important piece of additional info.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to add a quote of this post to the FAQ thread about the mod.

Thanks

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    That's an important piece of additional info.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to add a quote of this post to the FAQ thread about the mod.

Thanks
    Please feel free to do so...

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Please feel free to do so...
    Info added!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Back on topic...

OP,

Please post up the photos of the finished product when done.