RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Window motor rebuild?

My Cars
    e36 BMW convertible,56 chevy wagon(Pro Touring)

Window motor rebuild?

'94 e36 pass. window gears are "chattering" when auto drop goes back up to top....can I rebuild it? Any helpful input please.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    If the chatter only happens at full extension of the window, up or down, you need only replace the microswitch which tells the window it'd fully home: the motor and gears are fine, unless they got chewed up by not stopping when they were supposed to! To determine whether that's the case, you'll have to pull the door panel (which will self-destruct)/ sorry about that.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    Been out of town....Where is this Micro switch and how would I test it? Would I be able to switch it with the drivers side to see if that is my problem? I have both door panels off now and scratching my head. Help!

My Cars
    1994 325i - 1992 525i (SOLD) - 1983 E23 (soon?)
    I have rebuilt few window motors before. some of them had the plastic gears shattered so I replaced them with custom copper or Teflon(recommended. more expensive) gears..

I've never seen the microswitch go out before but Chris has more experience than I do, so he must be right

My Cars
    I have heard this from more than one or two people but no one has come forward with any concrete info. I really hope I can get some info soon , my daughter hates riding around with the door pnls. off. (Does not want her frends to see her Dad's car falling apart)

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I don't know that I have more experience than you, alkumaish, I've never replaced the gear, or rebuilt the motor, just installed a new one.

But apparently I was wrong anyway, I find no microswitches in your car's window diagrams, sleeper. So I'd guess first that you have a mechanical issue (bad gear, bent arm) or second, that the motor unit is not correctly ending the revolution signal to the zke (body module). (This would likely be because of a bad gear, one slipping on it's shaft, etc.)

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    Thanks for the Input guys. I guess I will search a little more.

My Cars
    A two years old pic. I replaced the damaged gear (right) with a new copper gear (left).

I had more pictures but I can't find them right now.

few notes:
    -I did the rebuild because a used (working) motor would've been more expensive. That might not be the case for you.
    -Metal gears are stronger than Teflon but that's not always 'better'.... And they're too noisy

My Cars
    98 318ti
    could you be kind enough to let me know where one would obtain a few of the gears shown in the pic.... looked all over the net and found nothing.... thanks

My Cars
    I don't think you'll find anyone selling those online. You either make them yourself or have someone make them for you.

My Cars
    '95 E36 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by alkumaish View Post
    A two years old pic. I replaced the damaged gear (right) with a new copper gear (left).

I had more pictures but I can't find them right now.

few notes:
    -I did the rebuild because a used (working) motor would've been more expensive. That might not be the case for you.
    -Metal gears are stronger than Teflon but that's not always 'better'.... And they're too noisy
    Any details on where to get that gear? At this point I'd pay anything

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You'll note that alku lives in Bahrain, where particular ingenuity is required to fix your window motor. Here, you will find it much cheaper and more expedient to replace the motor; a junkyard part will be very cheap. Having someone cut that gear in this country would cost more than a dozen motors!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    Exactly my point, thank you chris . A good motor here is little bit more expensive than a new gear. I know that a refurbished motor is better than an old motor that might break again in few months so I prefer to repair them. Good/refurbished motors are easier to find in the US and it's not gonna cost as much.

The gear in the picture above was done by my uncle, but to have it done in a shop would cost around ~$80 in labor.

And to reply to clsk1 who PMed me: I don't know where you can get something like that. Your best choice would be to take your plastic gear to a shop and ask them for a quote.
    Maybe some of the guys here can help you (there must be someone here with a milling machine in his backyard ).
    I want to help you, but shipping alone will be at least $20. It's not gonna be worth it....
    Last edited by alkumaish; 05-31-2009 at 01:16 AM.

My Cars
    528i

You gotta be kidding!

Making your own gears? I have to bookmark this one!

My Cars
    2000 740 IL
    Wow...talk about getting into some tech! I love it! I just read the latest Popular Mechanics Mag. and there is a great article about new 3D printing being used for prototypes and impossible to get parts. Jay Leno is the author and he talks about folks using this technology to create all sorts of parts by using a special scanner, software and a 3D printer (makes the part from plastic). You should check it out!
    Last edited by Bullshark; 06-04-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Updated information