Thread: 97 540 US car Fahrenheit to Celsius NO GO!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I Sport

Angry 97 540 US car Fahrenheit to Celsius NO GO!

Hey guys, I have a US model 97 540I. My owners manual does not have the instructions to change from fahrenheit to Celsius. I did a search and tried the whole hold down the button and cycle the key and what not.

no go, I frustrated myself and this crap does not work!!

what gives?? Is this like a US model that cannot be F'd with?

I spent hours and hours on this.

lol

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    go to the dealer........... and recode your computer with F instead C....

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2000 E39 528i
    i forget the sequence but you can switch it from the odometer button i think someone on here will chime in with the correct sequence

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I Sport
    ya i tried the whole odometer thing, frustrated the hell out of me if you didn't see from my first post. lol.

i'll try it one more time if someone posts the exact instructions and has a US car with this crap not in the manual.

next step after i'm going to visit the dealer next time I'm around. 2+ hrs away.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    I did the Odometer sequence a few times.
    I remember I got it wrong the first time because of the ignition position. It's mixed up in the manual. I don't remeber now: if the instruction said pos 1, then it's pos2 or vice-versa. I pulled the battery cables a few times and it reset the temperature every time, so that's why I know.
    For the last year though, I don't have to worry. I found an indy with the BMW computer and he switched it for free: my car readings from imperial to metric
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    Hold the black odomenter button on the dash down and turn ignition key ON. Continue holding the black button down for about 20 seconds. Turn off the ignition key. The next time the ignition is turned on, the temperature will be in Fahrenheit.

BMW 528i Automatic - Premium and Winter Package - Avital Remote Starter - XM Satellite Radio - e60 wheels - LPG

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW 528 View Post
    Hold the black odomenter button on the dash down and turn ignition key ON. Continue holding the black button down for about 20 seconds. Turn off the ignition key. The next time the ignition is turned on, the temperature will be in Fahrenheit.
    Ignition position 1 or 2?

Has this worked for any 540 owners? I'm wondering if it is different between high and low OBCs.
    I'm going to try the test and post back.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 05-29-2009 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    It works.

- Make sure you are pressing the odometer button (left of the two buttons).
    - Ignition position 1 for approx 10-15 seconds.

When you press the odometer button (before turning ignition to pos. 1), "reset" will display.
    During the 10-15 second wait after turning to ignition pos. 1, the displayed text, "reset", will change back to odometer and temp readings.
    FYI: The reading will not reflect the change until you turn off the ignition and then turn back on to any position.

Edit: I wonder how much the dealer charges to do this for you?
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 05-29-2009 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    S50 ///M Coupe, DSM
    i changed my car from celsius to farenheit, it was simple?
    i have 16:9 tho, so that might be easier.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I Sport
    k thanks guys, gonna try that this morning, will post back.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

To Change Ambient & HVAC Temp Scale:

1. press & hold the odometer reset button (left button on instrument cluster) while,
    2. turning the ignition to POSITION 1 (not position 2 or 3) then immediately (no need to hold for any lenth of time),
    3. TURN THE IGNITION OFF...and then release the odometer reset button

The next time you turn the ignition on...the scale will have changed. Again, and as some others have mentioned...YOU WILL NOT SEE THE CHANGE until you turn the ignition off then back on.

Here's the procedure outlined in the owners manual...see the yellow highlighted text...if you follow the procedure above & below...when you're done, the temp scale will have switched AND your trip odometer will return to the mileage it was originally displaying...if you follow some of the other procedures in this thread...your trip odometer will reset to zero:

Tips to avoid unecessary procedures:
    1. Ignition should be turned to position 1 (not 2 or 3 which is the start postion)...see left column in image below for ignition positions
    2. no need to hold the odometer reset button (left button on cluster) for extra time
    3. if you hold it till you see "reset" appear...you have initiated the beginning of the SI light instrument cluster reset procedure.

To verify...see the instructions below on how to initiate the SI interval reset...when you hold the trip odometer button for 5 seconds while turning the ignition to position 1...you begin the SI reset. When you just want to change the temp scale...just hold the button, turn the ignition to position 1, then turn it off, then let release the button....there's no need to hold the button for any length of time.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-31-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Tips to avoid unecessary procedures:
    1. Ignition should be turned to position 1 (not 2 or 3 which is the start postion)
    2. no need to hold the odometer reset button (left button on cluster) for extra time
    3. if you hold it till you see "reset" appear...you have initiated the beginning of the SI light instrument cluster reset procedure.

To Change Ambient & HVAC Temp Scale:
    1. press & hold the odometer reset button (left button on instrument cluster) while,
    2. turning the ignition to POSITION 1 (not position 2 or 3) then immediately (no need to hold for any lenth of time),
    3. TURN THE IGNITION OFF...and then release the odometer reset button
    The next time you turn the ignition on...the scale will have changed. Again, and as some others have mentioned...YOU WILL NOT SEE THE CHANGE until you turn the ignition off then back on.

Here's the procedure outlined in the owners manual...see the yellow highlighted text...if you follow the procedure above & below...when you're done, the temp scale will have switched AND your trip odometer will return to the mileage it was originally displaying...if you follow some of the other procedures in this thread...your trip odometer will reset to zero:

Thanks, Q.
    I was wondering when you'd chime in.
    Thanks for clarifying the procedure.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    no, thanks to you and the forum for putting up with my obsessiveness & not running me out of town!
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Thanks, Q.
    I was wondering when you'd chime in.
    Thanks for clarifying the procedure.

this method does not work for me.

i hold the button on the left, odometer comes on, i turn the key to position 1, still holding, turn back to posi 0. release button

turn the key and its still F

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Is your car right hand drive (I don't really know if it matters)?
    FYI: I already know that Nova Scotia switched to driving on the right in the nineteen twenties.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 06-01-2009 at 12:24 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Is your car right hand drive (I don't really know if it matters)?
    FYI: I already know that Nova Scotia switched to driving on the right in the nineteen twenties.
    bwahahahhaa, thats funny.

no its a domestic BMW. so its a US car,

before i even turn the ignition, i hold the button "reset" does not come up. just the odometer.

is it because i have a 97? i see that q posted for the SI reset is for 99 and up.
    Last edited by Shaft1980; 06-01-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540I Sport
    Hey guys, just got off the phone with BMW. they said to reprogram its gonna cost me $400. WTF! Is there really no other option? Can someone with a 97 540I6 US car chime in here and tell me if the key presses work or not?
    It is not in my manual! Qsilver, i tried your method listed. it doesn't work. I'm not even getting reset to come up.

My Cars
    E46 325i Sport
    I just saw a E39 on ebaymotors with the temp in celsius. Is it safe to say they were possibly clearing codes or such and it switched it?