Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Kmoy's $5 E46 Aux Cable (Lots of Pics)

My Cars
    1973 BMW 2002tii, 2003 BMW 540i, 2004 BMW 330i

DIY: Kmoy's $5 E46 Aux Cable (Lots of Pics)

2004 E46 330i/6 ZHP $5 Auxiliary Input DIY

This was done on Buisiness CD CD53, software number SW/NO. 41, hardware number HW/NO. 40

If you have Navigation, check the wiring diagram out and use those pins:
    http://www.ge39.com/files/EBADoc11512-auxin.pdf
    Pins 1, 2 and 3

This was also tested on my 2003 540i/6 M-Tech and works flawlessly as well. Buisiness CD CD53, software number SW/NO. 41, hardware number HW/NO. 40
    540i tutorial
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1236285

DISCLAIMER
    This was tested on my car spec'ed above. I am unsure if this tutorial is compatible with other headunits, hardware numbers, software numbers. I take no responsibility for any damage done to your car from you following the following tutorial.

Parts
    • 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Audio Jack (2-Pack) $2.99 Make sure to get the stero audio jack and not the mono audio jack. You will receive monaural sound if you do...ask me how I know http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...52&tab=summary

• IDE or Floppy Cable - to connect to the pins on the back of the headunit (I had a spare junk one at home...don't go out and buy one. Instead tear apart a junk computer and pull one of those cables)

• 3 different colored wires - length varies depending on where you wish to mount the jack
    • Soldering iron
    • Solder
    • Flux
    • Hex wrenches - to disassemble the radio
    • Phillips/flathead Screwdriver
    • Torx bits
    • Drill
    • Needle nose pliers
    • Drill bit - for the 1/8in;3.5mm jack
    • Knife/razor/boxcutter - use your preferred cutting utensil to cut to size the IDE connector

Okay, so this may not be a $5 aux cable for you. Luckily I had most of these parts at home minus some supplies.

Begin by pulling the passenger and center trim. Slide a flathead screwdriver wrapped in a towel and pry the trim out. Two screws retaining the radio should be visible. They are on the left and right side of the headunit. Remove those.

Unplug the connectors from the CD unit. The pins should look something like this.

You want to focus in on the lower right set of pins. Specifically pins 4, 8 and 9. Pin 4 is ground, pin 8 is right audio and pin 9 is left audio

Now that you know where the pins are located, disassemble the ide cable making sure not to destroy the connector. Every cable is different, mine was held together using clips. I simply destroyed the clips and salvaged the female pin receptors. With the good parts, cut and size them up using your favorite cutting utensil.

Pull the unnecessary pins out using a pair of needle nose pliers.

Gather your sized wires, connector, and audio jack. The wiring diagram for the audio jack is displayed on the back of the packaging. The ground is the pin on the side with a black wire wired to it. To figure out which is left and right, I plugged the naked jack into my computer sound system and touched each prong. Your body carries natural electrical signals to it. Put your ears next to the left or right speaker, whichever is convenient. Touch each prong, a sound should emit from only one side either left or right depending on which prong you're touching. Label them; I used a whiteout pen and labeled the left with an L.

Using the soldering iron, solder and flux, Solder the other ends of wire to the ide connector. The job's tedious but if you have steady hands and are patient, it'll turn out nicely.

Plug the pin into the back of the radio making sure they're sitting in the right spot. Plug everything else back in and do a test.

Looks like a great success

So the next step is to mount it wherever brings you the most zen. I chose to mount it on the DSC seat warmer control module. To do this, remove the shift knob as well as the boot. Pull on the knob, don't get a black eye like many have warned. Remove two screws near the bottom edge of the trim. Pull the trim out and remove the two connectors.

Open the sunglass tray and remove that. Push up and pull. Sounds easy on paper but its a pain if you've never removed it.

There are 4 screws retaining the assembly. Two on top where the sunglass tray was and two on the bottom visible once you removed the shifter trim.

The unit slides out and disconnect the cigarette leads, ashtray light, dsc/seat warmer connectors.

Pull the unit out and remove the dsc/seat warmer unit by removing the two torx bolts. The unit slides out and you open the front cover by sliding a flathead in where the two slip together. Fish your wires in and mount the jack.

Drill a correctly sized hole and insert the jack in and screw it in.

Reassemble everything else and you're set.

I hope you found this tutorial useful. If you have any questions, please ask away.

Happy motoring,
    Kmoy2002
    Last edited by kmoy2002; 05-21-2009 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    nice im going to do this for pre 03. only difference is i have to use couple capacitors and a resistor.
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

My Cars
    E46 330i ZSP/ZPP
    NICEE!!!! thank youu
    Orion V2 AE's : Clears All Around : Matte Black Grille : CSL V1 Front : Wheels & Suspention. HOPEFULLY =]

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Fantastic! I didn't realize it was so easy. Bumping this up near the top of my project list.

My Cars
    05 BMW 330CI.ZHP
    what is this for people??? ipod conection??

My Cars
    06 M3, 99 323i, 95 JGC
    Quote Originally Posted by GIORGI View Post
    what is this for people??? ipod conection??
    yes. or any other mp3 player or audio source.

My Cars
    05 BMW 330CI.ZHP
    did anyone else do it? im like half way there. since this is my first DIY its gonna cost me around 30 dollars cuz i had to buy everything including wires and soldering thingy

My Cars
    2001 330ci blk/blk sport/premium
    Can I do this on a 2001 330ci model?
    Its a bimmer

My Cars
    1973 BMW 2002tii, 2003 BMW 540i, 2004 BMW 330i
    Check your software, hardware, model numbers.

My Cars
    E36/E46 M3 - E46 323ci
    Do you have any pics of the plug connected to the back of your headunit?

To activate I assume you hit "Aux" on the head unit?

My Cars
    04' 325 Hardtop Vert
    nice DIY
    -Jay-

My Cars
    1996 328ICA, 2002 325 xiTouring
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilez@EuroDyne View Post
    nice im going to do this for pre 03. only difference is i have to use couple capacitors and a resistor.
    What is the difference for pre 03 model?

Thanks,

Zach
    I love this car.
    DIY Videos and Help

My Cars
    Integra, WTB E46
    This is awesome.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Bump as I would like to do this on my '02 325i without navigation.

Thanks for the info!

My Cars
    '91 e30 s52 swap
    This is an awesome idea... just bought all the parts i need at radio shack, installing tomorrow. Thanks!

When and where do you use the D-sub connector that is pictured but not listed in the parts list....?
    Last edited by undergroundhead; 10-02-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36 325i ('94)
    Just finished this on my 2003 325xi. Wanted to offer a hint- I used the gray wire from the IDE ribbon cable to solder onto the IDE connector pins. Those pins are so small that every other wire I had was too big and wouldnt solder nicely. Came out great though- awesome writeup.

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Thanks for the inspiration.

I made a male input cable that will plug directly into any device with a female output jack (practically everything). I routed the cable out the sunglasses compartment, so I can stow the cable when not in use, and stow the cable+player when in use.

For the male input cable, I just clipped off the cable from an unused pair of cheap headphones. It's entirely reversible, save for the 3/8" hole I drilled in the back of the sunglasses compartment to route the cable.

Total cost: $0.00

[/URL]

My Cars
    2003 325i

Question how to

hey guys Thank you for a wonderful tutorial but after you finish all the connections put the radio back how you switch from radio to the the new audio input or I'm missing something else ?

Thank you,

My Cars
    BMW 325ci 2003
    Just went to the dealer and got the OEM aux kit....cost me 90CHF!!!! thats about 83 US bucks. Can't wait to install it!!!

Oh, and thanks for the tutorial!! Will let you know how I got on with mine.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Brizzy; 04-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.

My Cars
    2002 325i, 2008 GTI
    Man millions of internet searches and I still can't figure this one out.

I have a CD 53, SW/NO. 40 and HW/NO. 43, built in February 02. The car is CD-changer ready and has the MODE button. I did the above procedure with 4 ground, 8 right, 9 left, and got no results in neither the CD changer nor the AUX areas. The mode button still only switched between radio and CD. I then changed up and went the CD changer route using pins 1, 2, 6, and 7. Still no dice. Next step is to try the resistor method. However, I still can't seem to get a straight answer as to what I should be going for; the back looks like the picture below. Will just going the route with the resistor and condensors work?

Last edited by dime1622; 04-27-2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Erik | 2002 325i ZSP | 2008 GTI | 1986 951 (gone )

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Do you have something plugged in to the other end? It won't switch to AUX mode unless the other end is connected to your playback device. I don't believe it has to be playing, just connected.

My Cars
    2002 325i, 2008 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    Do you have something plugged in to the other end? It won't switch to AUX mode unless the other end is connected to your playback device. I don't believe it has to be playing, just connected.
    Yeah, I realized that after I wrote the above. I need an actual CD changer. So either I buy a new CD53 or I get an aftermarket head unit. I have an SQ subwoofer and amp from the Porsche I've wanted to hook up for years anyway, and not having a high-pass crossover for the main speakers sucks.
    Erik | 2002 325i ZSP | 2008 GTI | 1986 951 (gone )

My Cars
    00 328i, 07 GSXR
    Will SW 43 and HW 41 work? Production date 04 December

My Cars
    e36 m3/e90
    sweet, ill pay $30 shipped if anyone wants to make a 2nd while they are doing theres, needs to work with my 2002 330ci with business cd. PM me paypal locked and loaded

My Cars
    1987 325i
    Hey All,

I made one of thes and it works great with my ipod, but, when I plug my xm radio into it it doesn't let me switch to AUX mode. I have an 03 325xi. Any Suggetions will be appreciated. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast