Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Terrible customer service with EAS-I'll shop elsewhere next time

My Cars
    2006 M3

Terrible customer service with EAS-I'll shop elsewhere next time

After having a few minutes to chill after getting off the phone with EAS, I thought I'd share my poor experience.

I just paid $58.71 and a bunch of time for the privilege of installing an incomplete/broken dice HD radio from EAS.

I ordered my dice HD radio 2 weeks ago. It took me 3-4 hours to install it in my car last Friday. I got all the way through routing the wire from the trunk to the glovebox, putting the unit behind the glove box and running the antenna up the A pillar. I went to stick the antenna black box to the window. I peel, back the adhesive cover and find 3/4 of the adhesive is missing from the center of the antenna. I hadn't thought about it but the paper cover had been sorta crooked/and partly peeled back. Crap. I decide I'll stick it on and cross my fingers that when it gets hot it doesn't drop off. Then I get to the part where I run the copper strip part of the antenna down the window. But there isn't a copper strip. It just wasn't in the box. I didn't drop it or loose it, it just wasn't there. Crap Crap. Alright I figure, I'll call Monday and get sent a new one. WRONG. Enter EAS customer service.

Monday I call, and since it is a "return" I'm told to email and it can't be done on the phone(plus I had to return the Silverline I ordered and decided not to use since I went with the HD unit). I send an email. Forward to Thursday and no response yet.

I call again. They say to email again. I say I did that 4 days ago. They give me a return auth for the silverline BUT can't help me with the HD radio, dice isn't making them now and they don't have parts. Crap Crap Crap, I only bought it 2 weeks ago. I'm given the number to Dice. Dice tells me they aren't making them and they don't have any parts, EAS must be selling the last of the stock, call them back. I call EAS again.

Ahhhh, the classic we didn't make, we didn't sell it loop, where neither the vendor or manufacturer fixes the problem.

I ask to speak to a manager. Enter Tom from the forum. Hey Tom.

Here are the options I'm presented with- remove the unit and send it back for a rufund or pay full price for the "stealth" antenna kit from EAS. I say, that doesn't sound reasonable, I received a product that was missing an integral part and seemed likely to have been opened before (hence the missing adhesive on the antenna). I said that if the stealth antenna would fix the problem that I should be sent that as a replacement for free. Tom's response-we aren't sending anything for free.

The additional undertone was this was my problem, not theirs. I was told that the original antenna wasn't any good and "we don't even send it sometimes." What? You don't even send it. That just doesn't make any sense.

No "sorry." No "we will make this right." No offer to pay postage. No offer to send the replacement antenna for free or even at cost. Just "NO."

So my options are spend more money or spend several hours removing the unit and installing something else.

What is so irritating about such situations is the complete discounting of a customers time and effort. "Just send it back" means remove the carpeting in the trunk, take out the rear seat, take off the door trim, remove the glove box, and the A pillar. Then reinstall everything. Then drive to the post office pay for shipping, and then install something else. Tom, I'll tell you what, why don't you pay for somebody to come to my house and send the unit back to you?

Oh well, I bought the stealth antenna for $58.71 shipped. It just isn't worth the PITA to redo everything. Heck I might have even had to buy it anyways if the reception with the stock antenna wasn't good enough, but I'll never know.

And the Dice antenna ($39)is still listed at the EAS website:
    http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=926
    The stealth replacement antenna is only $10 more, so I was asking for something $10 more expensive.

Plus Dice should rethink making a product that they aren't going to stock any warranty replacement pieces. I mean really. I only bought it 2 weeks ago and already it can't be fixed if something is wrong.

Oh, and I used the youtube video from BSW to do the install. It was well done and thorough. I will certainly be giving BSW my business next time.

FWIW,
    Regards,
    Justin Wade

My Cars
    06 M Roady; 2011 Mini S
    Welcome to the world of internet commerce, where the customer is always in the wrong. The only other suggestion I'd make is to contact the Better Business Bureau, and your Credit Card company. Your credit card company can charge it back to EAS, and force THEM to contact YOU to try and collect.

My Cars
    BMW
    Justin,

As explained on the phone - DICE has discontinued the HD Radio kits, I cannot obtain an antenna from them nor do I have one in stock. You were offered a full refund including shipping charges and as I was about to get your info to send a return label - I was greeted with a "expect me to dispute the credit card charges" comment and you hung up.

I can't make a DICE antenna appear out of thin air, but give me a call or email if you would like to work out the situation rationally for a full refund as offered earlier or simply getting one of the stealth modules instead.

Edit: I just saw the order come through - I'm going to take 50% off the antenna cost, hopefully this will ease the pain and you can get back on track.

Doube Edit: Just followed up with DICE, they do have the element strips in stock. However it seems you were specifically asking about the Stealth Antenna modules, which are manufactured by us - and are a seperately-offered item.

For reference, the DICE rep you were speaking with was Manny.

If you should want the antenna strip instead, let me know and I'll make the necessary arrangements, otherwise - we're still on track for shipping out the SAM today.
    Last edited by tom @ eas; 05-07-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
    email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com
    tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 x22 | fax: 714.908.1796

Twitter | Flikr | Facebook | YouTube

My Cars
    2006 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
    Justin,

As explained on the phone - DICE has discontinued the HD Radio kits, I cannot obtain an antenna from them nor do I have one in stock. You were offered a full refund including shipping charges and as I was about to get your info to send a return label - I was greeted with a "expect me to dispute the credit card charges" comment and you hung up.

I can't make a DICE antenna appear out of thin air, but give me a call or email if you would like to work out the situation rationally for a full refund as offered earlier or simply getting one of the stealth modules instead.

Edit: I just saw the order come through - I'm going to take 50% off the antenna cost, hopefully this will ease the pain and you can get back on track.

Doube Edit: Just followed up with DICE, they do have the element strips in stock. However it seems you were specifically asking about the Stealth Antenna modules, which are manufactured by us - and are a seperately-offered item.

If you should want the antenna strip instead, let me know and I'll make the necessary arrangements, otherwise - we're still on track for shipping out the SAM today.
    And as I explained on the phone I've got three hours in the install and removing it for a refund is hardly a reasonable option in my eye. Especially since there are options available to make it right.

And when I spoke with Dice, I was very specific with what I needed. The copper antenna piece was missing and the black piece was missing adhesive leading me to worry it might fall off when it gets hot...this is still a worry. What I requested was at minimum the copper piece, and preferably a whole new antenna. I was told they stopped making it and don't have any parts to replace the antenna. It was the Dice representative, Manny, who suggested that I once again call you guys and see if you might have a unit left to get the antenna or that you might do something as there was an the stealth antenna that you make that allows the stock antenna to work with the radio. I hadn't thought of the stealth antenna as a possible solution until Manny suggested it. But, on my 4th phone call, you didn't seem to believe it was a viable option unless I paid for it.

At this point, my request would be once again, to receive, at minimum, the copper antenna piece and preferably a whole new antenna so if my antenna does come unglued in the sun because of the missing adhesive I can simply replace it.

And since my stealth antenna has already shipped I'm more than happy to get half off, and if I don't need it I'll just send it back.

Only 4 phone calls, 2 emails, and posts on 4 forums and this can be resolved amicably.

Regards,
    Justin

My Cars
    2004 330i zhp s/c
    Quote Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
    Justin,

its been posted before eas poor customer service. you send out faulty units and instead of doing a courtesy swap like any other vendor since you have the cc info on hand, you charge again for the unit and then refund it. the girl who does the returns at your company is a prime example of poor customer relations. i dont even see how eas has managed to stay in business with that kind of customer service