Thread: Door lock key cover

My Cars
    1990 525i; 1992 525i

Door lock key cover

I would like to purchase the silver cover for the key opening on the driver side door. See the pics and short explanation below for details.

This is what the door key opening should look like (this is from the passenger side):

Unfortunately, someone tried to break in, and this is what the driver side now looks like:

Fortunately, the door lock still works fine, and they didn't succeed in breaking in (love the dead bolt feature).

Question: Is it possible to purchase just this silver cover piece, and if so, what is it called and where would I go to purchase it?

Thanks!

My Cars
    E31 CSi, E34 M5, E83 X3
    Seek for it here
    http://www.realoem.com/

Get the part number of the piece.

Order it at sites like www.bmaparts.com, www.pelicanparts.com, www.bavauto.com...

My Cars
    1990 525i; 1992 525i
    Seek for it here
    http://www.realoem.com/
    Fantastic site. I browsed everything and also used their search function.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any subassembly, and certainly not the cover itself. It looks like I can only purchase the entire lock mechanism ($500+), which is what I feared when I asked this question.

Since I have two e34s, I'll definitely be visiting that site again.

It looks like I'll just have to live with this unsightly entry key opening. Fortunately it happened on my "clunker" 1992 525i and not on my pristine 1990.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Least expensive would be to get a used handle from a wrecker and live with two keys or try to cobble it together. I have a complete matched lock set, doors, ignition, trunk and glove box with a key and donor VIN to order more keys if you are interested for $100. Less $, more work.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1990 525i; 1992 525i
    I have a complete matched lock set, ...
    Thanks for the offer. That is very kind. Since everything still works, I am reluctant to spend too much time on this, and replacing both locks would be a fairly major expenditure of time.

My Cars
    1990 535i
    Surely you could grab any lock from the wreckers that is a similar size and pop off the cover then attach to yours....

My Cars
    and trucks
    +1 on buying a part from a junk yard. Do you know of one near you? If not theres a few members on this board with parts cars that I'm sure would ship to you.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    1990 525i; 1992 525i
    I like the junkyard idea, especially since I have other small items (like rear ashtrays) that would be nice to replace. However, I live in Carmel, CA, and a few years back I looked into it and couldn't find a "real" junkyard unless I drove three hours to Fresno.

I have a few E34 friends locally, so I'll see if they know of any junkyard that is closer.

My Cars
    E31 CSi, E34 M5, E83 X3
    Yah.. I wish I had a junkyard with bimmers in Brazil. lol.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i
    You could purchase the used lock and take it to a locksmith. They might be able to swap over the wafers from your lock into the used lock, thereby making it compatible with your old key.

Drivertain: Getrag 260/6, E34 M5 clutch, 15 lb FW, E36 M3 shifter, Portland Driveline driveshaft
    Suspension: Eibach springs, Koni adjustable shocks/struts, M5 antiroll bars front/rear, M5 thrust arm bushings, fully rebuilt suspension/steering
    Engine: Rebuilt top end and resealed. Turner Motorsport ECU chip.
    Lighting: Euro smilies w/ 5500k HID lights, clear front corner lights

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    I dont see why you wouln't be able to just pop that cover piece from another lock on to yours. Not sure how its attached, but it does seem feasible

My Cars
    1990 525i; 1992 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by madk0w View Post
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just pop that cover piece from another lock on to yours. Not sure how its attached, but it does seem feasible
    That's what I was hoping to do, but I either need to get the part itself, or find a junker from which I could cheaply get the lock and then do as you say. Which once again brings me back to the necessity of finding a junkyard ...