Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I reset the oil/inspection lights without a special tool (97-98)?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

How do I reset the oil/inspection lights without a special tool (97-98)?

It's recommended the Service Interval (SI) light reset be done with a fault code reader or scan tool. Using the following method is solely your responsibility!
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    If you still have green lights illuminated and the OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION light hasn't illuminated...I'd suggest NOT to reset your lights.

I only reset the SI lights when they have gone done to the YELLOW light and one of the warnings has turned on. That way, the brake fluid warning stays on track as well as the regular SI lights.

Note the "clock" icon in the SI display...that is supposed to be the "change Brake Fluid" icon:

The SI lights are tracked by fuel consumption...but since fuel consumption averages somewhere between 17mpg-24mpg...the mileage can be approximated to either the 10k schedule for the up to-98...and the 15k schedule for the 1998-up. Some owners choose to strictly track their mileage...and some (like me) track the SI lights (divide them by whichever schedule they fall under)...and some actually follow the SI schedule. :eek

Again, if you are one that chooses to do "intermediate" oil changes...I would suggest holding off resetting the SI lights until you get down to the YELLOW light & OIL SERV/INSPECTION warning.

My suggestions for Tool to reset SI lights: heavy gauge wire or needle nosed pliers (make sure you use #7 & #19 ONLY)...using the wrong pins can cause disastrous effects...each pin has a number beside it...so double check that you're using the right ones.

The instructions on how to reset the Service Interval Lights have been written up many times. You wrote that you did 5 seconds then 10 seconds...not sure if that's because it failed or what? But there are TWO reset procedures...one for the OIL SERV (3-10 seconds)...and the other for the INSPECTION I or II (10+ seconds). Did you short pin #19 as well...or use a grounding wire as well as pin #7? You can't just stick a wire or probe or needle nose pliers into pin #7...it also has to be grounded...which you can use pin #19 to do. (I use needle nose pliers in pin #7 & #19...or a large gauge wire...which ever I find first in my toolbox)

I think it would be a lot safer if you knew exactly what pins to use instead of guessing or using "2nd pin from the pac man mouth" etc. Sticking something in the wrong pin could cause damage...so I would suggest KNOWING EXACTLY what pins to use....and the pins ARE numbered (if you look close).

And that would be pins #7 and #19. The pins are numbered (small but legible)...and if its hard to determine which one is which...the pins have an outer circle (pins #1 - #12) and an inner circle (pins #13 - #20). If you start with pin #1 (outside circle)....it's pretty easy to see...count around the outer circle...then move to the inner circle when you get to the top.

I took a paint pin and painted pins #7 & #19 so that it would be EASY to always identify which pins to use. If you don't have a paint pen or something similar, if your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend uses fingernail polish...you can use that with it's small brush to "highlight" the correct pins.

If you learn to use your head...it'll be a lot easier on your wallet.

(use the diagram on the right if you have the 20 pin diagnostic port)

(you can see where I used a paint pen to identify #7 & #19)
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 06-26-2013 at 03:53 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Very common question, and a very clear response!!!

My Cars
    2006 330i sport/prem
    I like the idea of painting a little white on there to identify the reset ports easier!

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Qsilver7 is one of our most valuable members. If you look at the FAQ, the number of posted solutions by Q is astonishing! I do wish the search feature on the forum were a little friendlier, though. I spend hours just trying to get the thing to work. It keeps excluding words or numbers from my searches. Ughhh.
    Anyway, the "shorted #7 and #19 pin" question has been asked so many times. It definitely belongs in the FAQ!
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 06-06-2009 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    SC E39 M5, E92 M3 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Qsilver7 is one of our most valuable members. If you look at the FAQ, the number of posted solutions by Q is astonishing! I do wish the search feature on the forum were a little friendlier, though. I spend hours just trying to get the thing to work. It keeps excluding words or numbers from my searches. Ughhh.
    Anyway, the "shorted #7 and #19 pin" question has been asked so many times. It definitely belonged in the FAQ!
    Q copies and pastes everything...from roadfly...

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by razahyde View Post
    ...and other sites, perhaps, as well. It's the fact that he takes the time and goes through the trouble to answer questions thoroughly.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 01-21-2009 at 02:24 AM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Now that's funny...first because a rarely go to Roadfly and second Roadfly doesn't allow anything with Bimmerboard.com to appear on their forum.

I also was a member of Roadfly soon after they started. Roadfly was were many BMW owners found their way to after a large exodus from Richard Welty's BMW Digest in the late 90s... so you'll find old posts of mine there, too. Some of my images I use belong to other people, and a lot of those will have the person's name in the pic...or if I know who it belongs to, I usually mention their name. I thought about amending a lot of the images that are mine by putting my name on them...but I really don't care...I see lots of pics that I took personally...and some even have text that I added on other sites and threads...and I just smile...knowing that its helping someone else.

I'm not sure if you are serious or joking, but sorry to say...your statement is INCORRECT...I do not "copy & paste everything from Roadfly". My 3 cardomain sites (which are open to the public) and the 542 images uploaded to my Bimmerboard account are were most of the images I post are stored....in fact, you will usually see Bimmerboard.com or CarDomain.com tags in just about everything I post...unless I go to ebay or use an image posted by someone else.

For example, 4 of the 5 images posted above were taken by me...that is my 97 e38's instrument cluster and the SI light image was taken while performing TEST #2, the images of the 20 pin data link connector are also mine as well as the green wire and the needle-nose pliers w/red handles (they're in my toolbox as I type).

The diagram of the 15 & 20 pin datalink connector is NOT mine (the owners initials & date is in the lower right corner)...and anyone that has seen the write-up on making the jumper thingy for resetting the SI lights has seen that image.

I have 21 pages of images at this site that I use to answer questions with (especially Page 6, Page 12, and Page 16): http://www.cardomain.com/ride/433594

I have 9 pages of images at this site that I use to answer questions with (mostly Page 2): http://www.cardomain.com/ride/739005

I have 2 pages of images at this site that I use to answer questions with: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3134093
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-21-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Okay. Now I am even more impressed.

My Cars
    1999 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Okay. Now I am even more impressed.

I agree^

Qsilver7 has helped me out many times and is always through with his answers. Thanks! You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.
    Sometimes its better to make a good run than a bad stand.

My Cars
    01 540i

Wow, too bad you won't be able to see any responses.

My Cars
    1999 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Star View Post
    Wow, too bad you won't be able to see any responses.

From who and why?
    Sometimes its better to make a good run than a bad stand.

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6

at least he doesnt speak out of his a$$
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    1998 540 I

Oil Change Reset

How or where is the reset for my 540 i (98) when I do an oil change?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Did you read the first post? There's a link to the FAQ that has a thread titled "RESET THE OIL & INSPECTION LIGHTS).

You can combine the information in the FAQ...with the information and pics that show using a wire or needle nose pliars to short pins #7 & #19.

It can't be any clearer...pictures of what you can use to short the pins are posted, the pins required to do this is given, and step by step instructions are typed out with instructions on how to use your hand made tools...and if you have an electronic tool to do the reset...just follow the instructions that came with it?

Not sure how you missed all the information that's in this post and the other threads that were linked to.

If this still doesn't make sense to you...post back where you're getting lost.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    240sx w/ SR20DET
    so my oil inspection lights won't reset... i've done this before, but now the lights won't reset.. what gives?
    Suzuki TL1000
    '97 540i

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparo View Post
    so my oil inspection lights won't reset... i've done this before, but now the lights won't reset.. what gives?
    I use the intermediate oil change reset procedure. When you reset the SI lights BEFORE you use up all the green LEDS and BEFORE the yellow light illuminates along with either the OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION LIGHT...you throw off the interval.

Just change your oil as usual, then only reset the SI lights when the yellow LED illuminates along with which ever service is required...that way you don't get confused as to if its time for an OIL service, Inspection I, or Inspection II.

Just in case something was missed in the "retype" of the instructions...follow the instructions taken directly from the BMW TIS...AND REMEMBER...there is a MINIMUM VALUE for resetting the SI lights thru the instrument cluster. If you haven't met those values...the SI lights won't reset (which is another reason to only attempt the reset when the YELLOW LED illluminates).

Even though there are various things going on as the SI green LEDs start counting off...the system still uses mileage as one of the major components of the SI count-down. BMWs built up to 1998 are on a 10k interval, and cars after that are on a 15k interval. Under normal driving circumstances...if your car is on a 15k interval...every green LED means that you've driven approx 3k miles. If you change your (synthetic) oil between 6k-7.5k miles...you can easily keep up with your "intemediate" oil changes by changing the oil & filter after 2 green LEDs have gone off. Then when the yellow LED illuminates along with the OIL or INSP warning...you shouldn't have any problems using the instructions below in resetting the SI lights because you will have met the MINIMUM VALUES by the mere fact the warning has illuminated.

Just a thought.

Last edited by jamesdc4; 06-04-2009 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    240sx w/ SR20DET
    ok, that didn't help me at all, my oil service light is lit, and resetting it through the grounding does nothing... that is my problem
    Suzuki TL1000
    '97 540i

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ok, that didn't help me at all, my oil service light is lit, and resetting it through the grounding does nothing... that is my problem
    Please type out your procedure step by step...we have no way to tell exactly what you're doing unless you give us details. Just saying that you followed the procedure gives us no way to tell if you skipped something or did something out of sequence...we have to take you at your word.

So, if your word is that you "followed all the instructions"...then what can we say except try it again, or it must not work for you.
    1. Make sure you are using pin 7 & 19 and that the tool is inserted properly
    2. Make sure you are turning the ignition to the CORRECT position (POSITION 2)
    3. After the correct interval remove the tool AND screw the DLC cover back on
    4. turn the ignition off

When you turn the ignition back on after following the procedure above...are all the green LEDs illuminated for the first few seconds (then they go off)?
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-06-2009 at 11:19 PM.

My Cars
    240sx w/ SR20DET
    Please type out your procedure step by step...we have no way to tell exactly what you're doing unless you give us details. Just saying that you followed the procedure gives us no way to tell if you skipped something or did something out of sequence...we have to take you at your word.

So, if your word is that you "followed all the instructions"...then what can we say except try it again, or it must not work for you.
    1. Make sure you are using pin 7 & 19 and that the tool is inserted properly
    2. Make sure you are turning the ignition to the CORRECT position
    3. After the correct interval remove the tool AND screw the DLC cover back on
    4. turn the ignition off

When you turn the ignition back on after following the procedure above...are all the green LEDs illuminated for the first few seconds (then they go off)?
    I am positive I am using pins 7 and 19
    I have tried the ignition in pos 0, 1 and neither have worked (although which is correct?)
    And the green LED's do not light up, it's the orange and red along with the oil service words displayed.

I also tried both a wire and needle nose pliers..

You mentioned the ignition in the right position, which pos is the right one? i never tried it with the ignition in the ON position..

Thanks for the help!

anyone else have advice?
    Last edited by TheSparo; 06-05-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Suzuki TL1000
    '97 540i

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I am positive I am using pins 7 and 19
    I have tried the ignition in pos 0, 1 and neither have worked (although which is correct?)
    And the green LED's do not light up, it's the orange and red along with the oil service words displayed.

I also tried both a wire and needle nose pliers..

You mentioned the ignition in the right position, which pos is the right one? i never tried it with the ignition in the ON position..

Thanks for the help!

anyone else have advice?
    The ignition has to be turned to POSITION 2.

Manual Reset Procedure:
    1. remove round DLC cover in engine bay
    2. (with ignition OFF) insert your tool, wire, needle nose pliers etc into pins #7 and #19
    3. turn ignition to POSITION 2 (not position 0 or 1 or 3)
    4. remove wire after 5-10 seconds (for OIL SERV) or 10-15 seconds (for INSPECTION)
    5. replace DLC cover
    6. turn ignition off

See image below for the ignition's positions:

My Cars
    1997 540I

Thanks

This is my first BMW and it's amazing how mush is on this forum. I've heard about resetting the oil lights this way, but the pic helps immensly. For some reason the #'s aren't on mine....THXS again

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ktmdrz400 View Post
    This is my first BMW and it's amazing how mush is on this forum. I've heard about resetting the oil lights this way, but the pic helps immensly. For some reason the #'s aren't on mine....THXS again
    As Qsilver7 mentions, be SURE to mark the CORRECT pins. Failure to use the correct pins may result in catastrophic consequences!!!

My Cars
    2013 BMW 535i M-Sport
    Just tried it with a large (low gauge) wire... used PINs #7 and #19... followed the directions and... TADAAA!!

It worked! Thanks!
    2013 Sophistograu Brillanteffekt Metallic 535i M-Sport
    https://www.instagram.com/sophisto_5/

My Cars
    1995 728iL

service resets

Thanks everyone - this thread saved me a lot of hassle. I was a bit nervous first at touching electronics but your guidance is brilliant!!

Don't know if this is relevant though - I had the clock timer light and a 'service' display showing. I carried out the reset procedure described (for 15 seconds) and the clock timer light disappeared but not the 'service' light. I carried out the procedure a second time and the 'service' light disappeared. Job done!

Question - I have carried out an oil change but there was no oil change light showing this time. With me carrying out the reset procedure for the service does this reset the oil service timer as well or will I get the oil change warning later??

thanks again guys

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    The ignition has to be turned to POSITION 2.

Manual Reset Procedure:
    1. remove round DLC cover in engine bay
    2. (with ignition OFF) insert your tool, wire, needle nose pliers etc into pins #7 and #19
    3. turn ignition to POSITION 2 (not position 0 or 1 or 3)
    4. remove wire after 5-10 seconds (for OIL SERV) or 10-15 seconds (for INSPECTION)
    5. replace DLC cover
    6. turn ignition off

See image below for the ignition's positions:

Thank you very very much!!! I've wanted to do this for a while and finally did it. Once again, Thanks QSilver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast