Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: best 8 inch sub for a desent price

My Cars
    1986 325e

best 8 inch sub for a desent price

i was wondering what would be the best priced 8 inch sub that i can mount where the middle pull down in the rear seat is in my 86 325e.im not looking to spend am arm and leg i just want decent sound for a decent price.also has anyone used the memphis bell 5 channel amps? i have a friend that will sell me one for 100.00 and i was wondering if it is a good one. any help will b greatly apreciated

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    If you do not have an 8" sub yet, consider going with one of these boxes. They are 10" and up and will not cost you an arm an a leg.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1101292

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    I'll take that memphis if you don't.
    Good 8" - Image Dynamics ID8v.3.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    I'll take that memphis if you don't.
    Good 8" - Image Dynamics ID8v.3.
    +1 on the ID8v.3

It is without question the best 8" sub out there for under $200.00

I have one in a .35 cu. ft. sealed enclosure in my Z3 and it's excellent. I was actually a little disappointed in it until I was told it would handle 250-300wrms without issues (thanks Catman). Regardless of it's rating it handles that kind of power without problem and the SQ is great. Far better than eD or the more expensive JL subs.

By the way, the Arc Audio Arc8 is the exact same sub FWIW. I believe they developed it together.

Other than the ID8 there really aren't that many quality 8" options out there anymore unless you want to get into the $250-$300 range.
    1997 Z3 2.8L Montreal Blue/Beige Ext. Leather.
    Hybrid Legatia L6 - Arc Audio 4150 XXK,
    Hybrid Legatia L1 Pro - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Image Dynamics ID8 - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    2002 TiAg Coupe
    Sundown Audio as well..... Good reviews on caraudio forums...i plan on pickin up a couple for my setup.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    ID8? or IDQ8?

My Cars
    '93 525i
    for a few more bucks you can get a JL Audio 8W3V3?

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=27

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Quote Originally Posted by e34freak1993 View Post
    for a few more bucks you can get a ?

orly? wha-4?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    JL is overpriced.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    ID8? or IDQ8?
    I would love an IDQ8, but they don't make them anymore. If you want an 8" Image Dynamics sub your only option is the ID8.

That's one thing that really frustrates me. Most of the better manufacturers only make an 8" sub in their entry level lines. JlAudio makes 8" subs in their top lines, but they're not as good as ID's entry level.

I'd really like to try Rainbow's Vanandium 8" but I don't want to spend $350 to try it out.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    '96 Alpine M3
    elemental designs is pretty nice and is good on price. 9kv.2 for 75.00 free shippin'.
    Alpine White E36 ///M3

My Cars
    1986 325e
    thanks guys. a few of them sound good. another question is how would they sound just being mounted into the firewall with a small enclosure on the back side mounted to the firewall on the back? i dont want a ton of thump that will rattle my car i just want some bass to the rather bass less sound of my stock speakers in the car

My Cars
    1986 325e
    also has anyone tryed or seen someone mount a speaker like that? how will it work out for sound?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by cemz View Post
    elemental designs is pretty nice and is good on price. 9kv.2 for 75.00 free shippin'.
    My first setup in my Z3 was two 7kv.2s. I have a 9kv.2 sitting in my garage that I replaced with the ID8. The ID8 is a FAR better sub than the 9kv.2. It is more expensive, but well worth it. I happened to find my ID8 for $89.00 shipped, but you'll typically pay from $100-$120.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by mxken9 View Post
    thanks guys. a few of them sound good. another question is how would they sound just being mounted into the firewall with a small enclosure on the back side mounted to the firewall on the back? i dont want a ton of thump that will rattle my car i just want some bass to the rather bass less sound of my stock speakers in the car
    Actually, scrap the enclosure and go with a Hybrid Audio L8 mounted IB in the firewall. It will give you excellent low end down to about 40hz. Of course, it costs about $250, but hey.......

http://www.12velectronics.com/servle...ologies/Detail
    Last edited by OUSHark; 10-30-2008 at 11:28 PM.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    It works ok if you don't have an armrest in the back seat. I usually do single 10", just punch out skipass along the perforation and seal your box to the rear firewall so it is firing 100% into the cabin. If you have an armrest and a skipass 8" will do just fine. I'd vote ID8 vs IDQ8. eD didn't sound nearly as good, Hybrid Audio... people will rub it into ya, just wait a little more.

My Cars
    2003 M5 and 2003 MR2 Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by OUSHark View Post
    I would love an IDQ8, but they don't make them anymore. If you want an 8" Image Dynamics sub your only option is the ID8.

That's one thing that really frustrates me. Most of the better manufacturers only make an 8" sub in their entry level lines. JlAudio makes 8" subs in their top lines, but they're not as good as ID's entry level.

I'd really like to try Rainbow's Vanandium 8" but I don't want to spend $350 to try it out.
    The ID8 is MUCH better then the old IDQ8 in every aspect. Give an ID8 a try and you wont be disappointed.

www.tmrmzine.com/335

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by TMRM5 View Post
    The ID8 is MUCH better then the old IDQ8 in every aspect. Give an ID8 a try and you wont be disappointed.

www.tmrmzine.com/335
    I have no experience with the old IDQ8s. The ID8 is an excellent sub, I'd just be willing to spend more if they would make an even better product in an 8". Considering the quality of the ID8 I would love to see what Image Dynamics could do in an 8" for around $250.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Hybrid Audio... people will rub it into ya, just wait a little more.
    Don't knock it until you have tried it.

My Cars
    AudioSnob
    Quote Originally Posted by e34freak1993 View Post
    for a few more bucks you can get a JL Audio 8W3V3?

Why pay MORE for LESS quality ...unless you are more concerned about 'brag factor' ....JL is 'impressive' to those who don't have a clue about SQ ....and believes everything they hear / read.

I agree with the above posts ....go with Image Dynamics.

>^..^<

Quote Originally Posted by mxken9 View Post
    Do you even know what a 'firewall' is?

>^..^<
    Last edited by IamCatman; 11-15-2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If money is the root of all evil ...why do churches beg for it?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference

An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.

My Cars
    Estoril 1998 M3 'vert
    Kicker Solobaric. Can handle a lot of power. Good quality with ultra small enclosure size requirements.

My Cars
    2014 F10 530d, 2014 F20
    Re Audio RE8 is another well good sub. Unfortunately RE has gone downhill hugely so you want the old stock, not the new stuff.

Went hunting a Fi 8 but doesn't look like they're producing one yet (which I'm sure they will and it'll be remarkably like the old RE8).

As a side note, found this:
    https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

12, 15 or 18" Infinite baffle subs with 30mm Xmax
    550rms at 20hz: that's pretty impressive.
    Good pricing too.