Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY - fixing "check coolant level"

My Cars
    bmw 328i 96
    Quote Originally Posted by 707bmw View Post
    I don't think I'd be warned anyways because the sensor already says there's a problem. If my car started to lose coolant while I was driving, there's nothing to stop the coolant from being lost on the road so that wouldn't matter, thus the temp guage to say when it gets too hot. Not to say that you shouldn't replace the sensor, but it's a great way to turn that annoying light off until it's been replaced.
    if your sensor is working OK, even when you are driving, if the coolant is getting low, there will be a warning light on the obc "check coolant level", but it will not stop the coolant lost, so you can stop your car.
    But if your sensor is fault (just after your start your car,) there will be NO warning light on your OBC, even if your are lossing coolant while driving. So you will not know if you are lossing coolant.

My Cars
    328i E36
    if your sensor is working OK, even when you are driving, if the coolant is getting low, there will be a warning light on the obc "check coolant level", but it will not stop the coolant lost, so you can stop your car.
    But if your sensor is fault (just after your start your car,) there will be NO warning light on your OBC, even if your are lossing coolant while driving. So you will not know if you are lossing coolant.
    Exactly!!! Fixing the sensor means you WILL be warned while driving. Not fixing it will only give you a fault message at start up and on turning off.

And as for using a bait float.......NOT A GOOD IDEA......the coolant still gets very hot. The last thing you need are little pieces of melted plastic getting stuck in the water pump or radiator. Or for it to come loose or something. Just fix the damn thing properly once and for all!!

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebel View Post
    NOTE: these things are very finicky, I had one for over a year...no problems. And then it died. Then I bought a brand new one, stopped working after a week. So until then the easiest way to stop the OBC error is to trick the connector into thinking the coolant sensor is working. Since it measures continuity just take a wire or I used a piece of coat hanger wire and bend it into a U shape. Then insert into each end of the connector. This will simply tell the OBC not to throw a code because there is electrical continuity....
    can you show me some pics of this?
    i kept getting the low coolant level before i replace my radiator due to the norm e36 radiator issues and i replaced it, it still throws the code when i start up and shut off my car.
    it isnt too annoying though but would like it to go away.

are you saying cut the two wires at the sensor and make a circuit by adding a wire connecting it?

My Cars
    94 325i, 95 M3, 1997 325
    Quote Originally Posted by soulrebel View Post
    NOTE: these things are very finicky, I had one for over a year...no problems. And then it died. Then I bought a brand new one, stopped working after a week. So until then the easiest way to stop the OBC error is to trick the connector into thinking the coolant sensor is working. Since it measures continuity just take a wire or I used a piece of coat hanger wire and bend it into a U shape. Then insert into each end of the connector. This will simply tell the OBC not to throw a code because there is electrical continuity....

Very good idea. Gonna try this one.
    Washedit1 by thedude60526, on Flickr
    11/10's Racing
    94 325i #36/64 TEAM PENISTON OILS/ LARSENS BISCUITS

My Cars
    E46 M3 E46 325xi E36 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleary View Post
    can you show me some pics of this?
    i kept getting the low coolant level before i replace my radiator due to the norm e36 radiator issues and i replaced it, it still throws the code when i start up and shut off my car.
    it isnt too annoying though but would like it to go away.

are you saying cut the two wires at the sensor and make a circuit by adding a wire connecting it?
    You could just connect the two wires together and the code will cease. Or just find a way to connect them to eachother, the method I mentioned was really easy and reversible... If you still dont get it, I will snap a pic for you.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude60126 View Post
    Very good idea. Gonna try this one.
    Thanks works great!

My Cars
    1996 328i
    [quote=soulrebel;14636221]You could just connect the two wires together and the code will cease. Or just find a way to connect them to eachother, the method I mentioned was really easy and reversible... If you still dont get it, I will snap a pic for you.

would you upload a pic of the wire hanger way? im pretty sure i get what you mean, but i want to be sure

thanks man

My Cars
    bmw 328i 96
    this looks like the solution:

Situation:
    A substantial number of coolant level switches are being replaced under warranty. The most frequent dealer comment is "coolant light is on, replaced coolant level switch". A detailed investigation of the replaced parts showed that more than 60% of them were non-defective.

Action:
    It is necessary to ensure that the cause for the complaint "coolant light is on" is due to a defective coolant level switch before replacing it.

Procedure:
    When a vehicle is brought in with the complaint "coolant light is on", use the following method to identify a defective coolant level switch:

1. Open the cap of the radiator/expansion tank and locate the coolant level switch mounted in the bottom. Use an appropriate piece of wire to slide the float up and down. Ensure that the float moves easily and stays in the up position by itself while the coolant level is correct. If the float sinks in the coolant, the coolant level switch has to be replaced.
    2. Disconnect the cable connector on the coolant level switch and connect an ohmmeter to the both contact pins of the installed coolant level switch. Measure the ohmic resistance of the coolant level switch in both float positions. The following resistance values indicate a defective coolant level switch, that has to be replaced:
      • Float up: resistance more than 1 ohm
      • Float down: resistance less than 40 k/ohm

3. If the coolant level switch shows correct resistance values in both float positions, check the cable connector for corrosion or soiling. Ensure proper electrical contact and connect the cable connector again.
    4. With the ignition on, slide the float down until it stops and hold it in this position. Wait at least 20 seconds and turn the ignition off. A coolant level warning should be displayed in the instrument cluster/information display.

Let the float slide back to the up position. Turn the ignition on, wait at least 20 seconds and turn the ignition off again. The instrument cluster/information display should not show a coolant level warning.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

How to disconect teh cable connector from the coolant level sensor. Is it a lot of force required, can it be done by hand or with kind of tool?

My Cars
    E46 M3 E46 325xi E36 328
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    How to disconect teh cable connector from the coolant level sensor. Is it a lot of force required, can it be done by hand or with kind of tool?
    give it a moderate tug, it will come off easily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12