Thread: M52 Oil Filter Housing Q-O-Rings-Where do they go? (pic)

My Cars
    97 328is

M52 Oil Filter Housing Q-O-Rings-Where do they go? (pic)

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of changing my oil filter housing gasket.

Reading through the threads on the topic, it looks like it is recommended to change the O-rings also. But I can't figure out where they are...One guy was saying some kind of cylinder sticking out of the block, but I don't see anything like that.

Here's some pictures,

Block:

Housing:

Can anyone tell me where they are in here?

Also, how do you get these plugs out? (Do I need to?)

Thanks!

My Cars
    97 328is
    I need to bump this one...I finished the gasket job and it seemed like the leak was (mostly) fixed for a while, but a thousand miles or so later it's back. I can tell the oil is all coming out through those plugs in the back of the housing now.

So does anybody know anything about them? I believe there are o-rings behind them, even though they are not listed on realoem or pelican. Is there an easy way to get them out or should I just take it apart again and attempt to force them out?

My Cars
    '88 M5
    Those plugs are put in there to cover up some holes needed by the manufacturing process. They aren't designed to be removable. That said, you can get them out. Many people take the filter housing to a machine shop to have this done.

My Cars
    97 328is
    Those plugs are aluminum. Just tap the hole in the middle of the plug. You only need a few threads. I used a small slide hammer that threaded into the hole. It isn't in extremely tight. Once you pull them out, you will see that there isn't an o-ring seal. All you need to do is clean it good, put loctite on it, and use a hammer to push it back in place. I used the higher temperature loctite.

My Cars
    97 328is
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the reply, I will try it out.