Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Rear Window Trim

My Cars

DIY: Rear Window Trim

Rear window trim cracked, broken, or otherwise unbecoming to your E36? Here's how to replace it.

Mine had broken corners.

First, you'll need to heat the rubber up with either a heat gun or your wife/girlfriend's hair drier. I chose option two.

Once it's warm you'll want to get something in there to pry it up and out of the groove. I used a flathead screwdriver. You can put a little tape around it if you want, but it's a tight fit and you won't damage your paint if you're careful.

The sides are a lot easier than the top. With the top I pulled this part off first to get a little working room.

Then you pry that little bastard off of the window, paying very close attention to how it comes off because you'll need to reverse that to put the new one on...I didn't get any pictures of that part.

Once you get all of the old trim out, it's a good idea to do a little cleaning while you're in there. Now you can put the new trim back in, doing the exactly opposite of how it came out. This part is the biggest pain, so make sure you have the trim laid out properly. Once you get the groove onto the window you can start pressing it into place. I used an old toothbrush.

I didn't get any pictures of the sides, but they pretty much go right into place. The key is attention to detail.

The part# on PelicanParts.com is 51-31-1-977-608-M9, $31.25. http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata..._pg2.htm#item9
    "Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.
    Do I care if you hate me?
    Do you wanna know the truth?
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

I'm under and over it all."

My Cars
    98 328i, 97 M3, 97 Volvo 850 T5
    Blanco, great write up,

Does that kit from Pelican come with all four sides and the corner pieces?

Its says in the title that its the Upper section.

51-31-1-977-608-M9
    Windshield Moulding Trim Seal, Rear Windshield, Upper Section, E36 325is, 318is, 323is, 328is, M3 B30, M3 B32 2-Door

I need to replace all four corners and trim so I didnt know if this kit came with everything.

My Cars
    e46 325ci
    Need to replace teh corners, so If you can answer the above answer, that would be great!

///Weisspower

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Nice, I need to do this myself...
    2001 330iSapphirschwarz metallic mit beige Leder
    1997 328iSchwartz II mit beige Leder *totaled*
    Ich liebe Bayerische Motoren Werke!

My Cars
    Thanks guys. Glad it helps.

The rear window seal is two pieces, the bottom and top/sides. So, this replaces the top/sides as a complete unit.

If any of you guys do this, can you get some pictures of reinstallation to add to the DIY?
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

My Cars
    e46 325ci
    So is this a completely different style to the old one?

///Weisspower

My Cars
    Should be the same.
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

My Cars
    96 328i
    do you need to use glue on it or just snap it into place?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318is, 2004 Nissan 350Z
    I'm dealing with some leaks in different locations, but I noticed at the bottom corners of the rear window near the trunk, the seals look a little messed up. I'm not sure if they are part of the side window seals or if they are independent, I'll have to look, but will it be obvious if I have a leak in that type of location? I'd think so because then the trunk would be wet.

Thanks
    1994 318is 5MT Boston Green Metallic

BAV AUTO | Turner Motorsports | BMP Design | Bilstein | K&N | Kenwood | Kicker | Mille Miglia | Champiro | Bosch

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by sd123 View Post
    do you need to use glue on it or just snap it into place?
    It just snaps in.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy01 View Post
    I'm dealing with some leaks in different locations, but I noticed at the bottom corners of the rear window near the trunk, the seals look a little messed up. I'm not sure if they are part of the side window seals or if they are independent, I'll have to look, but will it be obvious if I have a leak in that type of location? I'd think so because then the trunk would be wet.

Thanks
    Yeah, anywhere you have a leak you'll have water.
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Props for a great writeup!

Just did this myself and it went great -- looks so much better than the hard, faded, chipping rubber trim that was in there before!

One thing that helped me: to aid in the removal of the old trim, I gently ran a utility knife along the entire length of the trim, inside the "valley" it forms.
    This allowed it to come out in 2 pieces and with much less effort. Twisting while removing it also seemed to help, especially along the top of the car where it was really stuck.

Be prepared for your old trim to be brittle and come off in pieces. Keep working at it and you'll eventually get it all out.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    Thank you, sir. Great additions, too.
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

My Cars
    1992 325i
    mine is missing that all over the back window I only have a few scraps clinging on for dear life.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Looks like they only have the seal for Coupes.

My Cars
    '96 323i w/ 2.8
    Great writeup, I did this yesterday and the hairdryer worked a treat.
    Interestingly I noticed that the new bottom strip I put on came with some adhesive already in it. I hadn't checked the new top and sides for this but they could have some adhesive pre-applied too.

I found getting off the old top strip was best achived with a twist and pull as well.

Anyway it turned out to be an easier job than I anticipated especially since the dealer who I bought the parts from couldn't believe that I could DIY this job.

My Cars
    mclaren f1
    i just need the corners for all over the car. am i screwed into buying all the trim new?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYINV View Post
    Great writeup, I did this yesterday and the hairdryer worked a treat.
    Interestingly I noticed that the new bottom strip I put on came with some adhesive already in it. I hadn't checked the new top and sides for this but they could have some adhesive pre-applied too.

I found getting off the old top strip was best achived with a twist and pull as well.

Anyway it turned out to be an easier job than I anticipated especially since the dealer who I bought the parts from couldn't believe that I could DIY this job.
    Way cool. I was surprised at how easy it was, too. I didn't notice any adhesive on mine, but the bottom needs a better seal so that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
    i just need the corners for all over the car. am i screwed into buying all the trim new?
    Do you mean how mine was in the first picture? You'll have to buy the entire top piece, because it's all one piece.
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

My Cars
    mclaren f1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    Do you mean how mine was in the first picture? You'll have to buy the entire top piece, because it's all one piece.
    Yes. Too bad trim for whole car would be 150$ or something.

My Cars
    That's not too bad.
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

My Cars
    '96 Nissan 200sx SE-R MT
    yes it is actually not that bad. it's a lot to pay for rubber but it's cheaper than i've seen on other cars.

now we just need a DIY for the coupe windows ( my corners are almost 100% rotted also ), and windshield and we're good as a forum.. hehe.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by neptronix View Post
    yes it is actually not that bad. it's a lot to pay for rubber but it's cheaper than i've seen on other cars.

now we just need a DIY for the coupe windows ( my corners are almost 100% rotted also ), and windshield and we're good as a forum.. hehe.
    I aksed my parts dealer about the door trim on my coupe and he said it was like $450 per side or something, or upwards of $700+ at the dealer per side!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by neptronix View Post

Which windows, the rear wing? My mom's car is a coupe and needs most of the trim replaced and I'm going to try to do all of that for her this year...after getting her car repainted.
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

My Cars
    '96 Nissan 200sx SE-R MT
    the rear ones.

My Cars
    E36 320i
    I can only see the ones for the coups or do these fit on the sedans as well?

My Cars
    C'est la vie,
    Adiós,
    Good riddance,
    F--- you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast