Thread: CHECK COOLANT LEVEL msg

My Cars
    '94 325is

Unhappy CHECK COOLANT LEVEL msg

newbie here...hopefully someone can help with this problem i'm having.

lately my '94 325is has been flashing the CHECK COOLANT msg (sometimes) when i shut off the engine...doesn't seem like the coolant level is low though?
    I check it when the engine is cooled down overnite and levels are full.
    problem with the overflow tank possibly?

also get a beepbeepbeep sound sometimes when i'm driving but no msg on the led screen?

are these big problems???

thanx for the help!

forgedcbuser at gmail dot com

My Cars
    05 Jeep Liberty
    Quote Originally Posted by 000is View Post

lately my '94 325is has been flashing the CHECK COOLANT msg (sometimes) when i shut off the engine...doesn't seem like the coolant level is low though?
    Some cars do this on startup/shutdown, it could be a few things. The float sensor in the tank could be bad, or the connections on the sensor could be corroded.

also get a beepbeepbeep sound sometimes when i'm driving but no msg on the led screen?

Yes, your car is going to explode.

Nah, chances are your MEMO function is turned on, it will beep three times every hour. This shows up as a O))) in a corner of the OBC somewhere, hit memo until that disappears.
    1998 BMW 323is - SOLD
    I miss my BMW

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCoder View Post
    Some cars do this on startup/shutdown, it could be a few things. The float sensor in the tank could be bad, or the connections on the sensor could be corroded.
    yah...hoping it's a simple thing but just want to know what to point out to my mechanic.
    i did read about other instances where even though the temp gauge was normal/centered the engine would overheat causing cracking, etc of head gaskets...let's hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCoder View Post
    Yes, your car is going to explode.

Nah, chances are your MEMO function is turned on, it will beep three times every hour. This shows up as a O))) in a corner of the OBC somewhere, hit memo until that disappears.
    i don't think i've ever even used the memo fn but i'll check it out.
    i also read about that temp issue where it beeps if it's severely cold outside...and it hasn't been that cold here in NYC.

thanx for the help CC!

My Cars
    1990 Celica GT, 2001 Celica GT-S, 1996 328is Coupe
    Or someone set your LIMIT button and you're exceeding the preset max speed, or the temperature is below 37 degrees F, or yes, the memo is on.
    Coolant sending unit could be bad, mine flashed a few times after I got a new rad, just added a few ounces to bring it to level and no probs since.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Expansion tank has a sensor that can go bad. I wouldnt worry about it too much, just make sure you have enough water/coolant

My Cars
    97 SC 332, 01 X5 4.4

thanx for the help!

forgedcbuser at gmail dot com
    Are you overheating? If not, you might have a bad sensor. I would bleed the cooling system first.
    The beep sound you might be getting every hour if you have the OBC's "Memo" activated.

Engine: M3 (S52) motor | AA C38 stg 1 Supercharger | MLS HG + ARP studs | M50 manifold | UUC motor and tranny mounts
    Drivetrain: 3.38 LSD | UUC stg 2 clutch | UUC 8.5 lb flywheel | SS Clutch line | Z3 steering rack | M3 brakes | SS brake lines
    Suspension: X-Brace | Bilstein BTS | PowerFlex RTABS | Exhaust: AA track pipe | AA Gen III Exhaust
    Misc: Euro G4 Ellipsoids-Ultra HD 60+ LED eyes | Euro 3-Spoke steering wheel | tan Vaders |CD43 player

My Cars
    '94 325is
    yup...the beep was from the memo being set inadvertently...thanx for that guys.

another thing i forgot to mention was that the passenger side floormat seemed to have some sort of fluid collected (antifreeze maybe?)...
    and the other nite after it rained,
    i opened the door to find that both mats had collected water?
    sometimes when i get a car wash, water comes in thru the floor vents but never anything like this...?

My Cars
    1997 328is AA SC
    replace the sensor

Far too much to list

My Cars
    E36 328i
    I had that problem too. I had it serviced and flushed today, haven't seen the message yet.

My Cars
    328iC 1996
    I had that problem before, turned out that I needed to have the system bled thoroughly and everything's been fine since.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    I didn't read any of the other responses, but this is classic symptom that you need to bleed your coolant system.

For the next week, once a day after a longer drive (30 minutes driving) pop your hood and using a Phillips screwdriver unscrew your bleeder port. I guarantee your problem will be fixed after doing this for a week

edit: after air comes out... makes sure you tighten it again

'92 325is 5sp

My Cars
    97 M3
    That is wrong info.. hot water will spray all over you. Bleed it as it warms up by overflowing the tank with water

My Cars
    97 SC 332, 01 X5 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by MJFX328 View Post
    That is wrong info.. hot water will spray all over you. Bleed it as it warms up by overflowing the tank with water
    +1. And turn the fan on high speed... best done in the morning with the engine cold. Turn on fan first, do not start car, open resevoir, unscrew bleed screw and add coolant/distilled mixture slowly until u see a nice even flow of coolant coming out of the bleeder screw.

Engine: M3 (S52) motor | AA C38 stg 1 Supercharger | MLS HG + ARP studs | M50 manifold | UUC motor and tranny mounts
    Drivetrain: 3.38 LSD | UUC stg 2 clutch | UUC 8.5 lb flywheel | SS Clutch line | Z3 steering rack | M3 brakes | SS brake lines
    Suspension: X-Brace | Bilstein BTS | PowerFlex RTABS | Exhaust: AA track pipe | AA Gen III Exhaust
    Misc: Euro G4 Ellipsoids-Ultra HD 60+ LED eyes | Euro 3-Spoke steering wheel | tan Vaders |CD43 player

My Cars
    07 e90 328i
    what is coolant? jk...
    2007 335i - Helga II - cesconetto.com

My Cars
    car
    I had the check coolant message too. I found that my sensor was fine and so were my levels. My issue was the black connector that hooks to the sensor. It was making a bad connection so all i did was open the black plug up (takes a small screwdriver to pry it open), crimp the connectors slightly with pliers, and close it all back up. No check coolant light since.

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by sPoofe36 View Post
    I didn't read any of the other responses, but this is classic symptom that you need to bleed your coolant system.

For the next week, once a day after a longer drive (30 minutes driving) pop your hood and using a Phillips screwdriver unscrew your bleeder port. I guarantee your problem will be fixed after doing this for a week

edit: after air comes out... makes sure you tighten it again

is it still april fools day?

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by QUART3R View Post

is it still april fools day?

was thinking the same thing after that response

the radiator is fairly new...less than 2yrs old so would it need to be flushed?

and WHY would there be fluid on my floor mats?

My Cars
    94 325 - 05 G35 - 09 R6

Angry

WHY would there be fluid on my floor mats?

My winter nightmare ...

My Cars
    05 Mustang GT, 92 Miata
    Just because it only does it on startup/shutdown doesn't mean it's a sensor fault and not really losing coolant...

My car loses about half a gallon a day right now, and the light only comes on at startup/shutdown if I don't top it off... (Yes, new rad/tank are on the way...)
    -Boondoggie

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    was thinking the same thing after that response

the radiator is fairly new...less than 2yrs old so would it need to be flushed?

and WHY would there be fluid on my floor mats?
    b/c the heater core is up inside the dash, above the footwells. If it leaks (rare but it does happen) then coolant will drip down and sog the carpeting/floor mats. Sounds like a sticky mess to me!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    b/c the heater core is up inside the dash, above the footwells. If it leaks (rare but it does happen) then coolant will drip down and sog the carpeting/floor mats. Sounds like a sticky mess to me!
    yah...luckily it only spilled on my mats and not the rug.
    what usually causes this?
    hasn't happened since last wk...but the water leaking thru happens EVERY time i get a wash or if it rains moderately heavy.

My Cars
    '94 325is
    car's with my mech now...he says there's definitely leakage coming from thru the vents (not the doors) so he's trying to locate the problem.

also there was a small leak/crack in the radiator and it was failing the pressure tests...hence the check coolant msg's.

suggestions anyone?