Thread: The Battle: JB2 vs. SSTT

My Cars
    2003 Acura CL-S (SOLD), 08' 335xi Coupe

The Battle: JB2 vs. SSTT

The time has finally come for me to decide. I have searched but have not found the answer that I was looking for. I am looking to hear from people who are knowlegable in Turbo Tuners. I know that the JB2 and the SSTT supposedly give near identical gains in power, but the JB2 offers add-ons that the SSTT doesnt. I know about the Visnhu and Dinan which are supposed to be the more powerful of the turbo tuners, but i am not looking to spend more than $800 - $1k. I also read about SSTT offering a stage 2 tuner that gives even more power, but I could not find any information on this at all.

I am asking which is more powerful, Stage 2 SSTT or JB2HR??? I know that there arent alot of people that are gonna know about the Stage 2 SSTT but I really need help and answers before I make my decision on which one I am gona buy. If SSTT really does have a more powerful Stage 2 version, then i will probably lean towards that one, just out of pure convenience when it comes to installation. Lets here the opinions of the members, which one would you lean towards and why.

My Cars
    2007 335ci
    Anyone? I am also interested in hearing what actual end users have to say about this topic.

My Cars
    M6, X5, Z3, M3, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 07 Boost View Post
    Anyone? I am also interested in hearing what actual end users have to say about this topic.
    Hello "07 Boost":

I have no dog in this fight so here is my opinion.

I went with the Turbo Tuner over the JB because of the stone simple install/removal.

The JB will probably produce more power and costs less but the ability to remove it quickly without having to get into the computer connector and install/remove pins did it for me.

Remember, BMWNA does keep a "black list" and if they find any hint of modification, they will void your warranty. It seemed to me that attaching a device to a plug was less likely to leave any trace then pushing and popping pins on a few connectors.

Again, I have no reason to question either product and both seem to be backed by good people.

YMMV.

My Cars
    2008 335i
    I agree with the above and went with SSTT. But the main reason was when I was test driving the car at Brecht in San Diego, the sales guy told me they sold them and it was covered under the warranty. That's good enough for me!

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    The Stage II SSTT is not out yet and hasn't been confirmed if it will come out.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    E92 335i
    Get the helix attache or the new active autoworks processor. both are under 800

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    When's the Helix available?
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    335I
    I,m in the same boat and for me its the difference between ease of use SSTT or the cheap price for good product that is a bit faster JB2.
    So I just wrote to SSTT to see if there is any truth to the SSTT2 coming out and asked if they could share any info with us. I suggest all who are interested do the same.
    If the SSTT comes out and is faster and still easy I'll go with that.

My Cars
    BMW 335i
    Is the Turbo Turner worth the $500? Noticable difference???

My Cars
    08 335i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ttweedie View Post
    I have not heard one person say (and i've read a million posts on it) they didn't notice a difference with any of the turbo tuners/flashes. People argue over which one is best but all seem to agree that they all provide noticeable performance increases.

My Cars
    06 Chrysler Pacifica
    Quote Originally Posted by ttweedie View Post
    If Eurobahn offered a full refund for mine, plus through in $200, I would still say no thanks. The car is a different animal without it.

2010 BMW 535i - Split Second Turbo Tuner, 19in VMR 710s, M Style Front/Sides/Trunk Spoiler, Blk Grills
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Cortex 93oct Engine/Tranny Tune, Rotofab Cold Air Induction Kit
    2007 BMW 335i (Gone...BNF)

My Cars
    335i Coupe, Saab 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by nm335 View Post
    Hello "07 Boost":

I have no dog in this fight so here is my opinion.

I went with the Turbo Tuner over the JB because of the stone simple install/removal.

The JB will probably produce more power and costs less but the ability to remove it quickly without having to get into the computer connector and install/remove pins did it for me.

Remember, BMWNA does keep a "black list" and if they find any hint of modification, they will void your warranty. It seemed to me that attaching a device to a plug was less likely to leave any trace then pushing and popping pins on a few connectors.

Again, I have no reason to question either product and both seem to be backed by good people.

YMMV.
    Hi Ennem. Maybe you were more analytical in another posting which I don't recall, but I'm used to more objective information from you.
    I too am deliberating which way to go on a performance upgrade and have narrowed my choice down to...all of them. Realistically, I'll probably go with the TT now and in a couple years get the Dinan. I know they are completely different approaches to performance gains, and that Dinan is undoubtedly the leader in sophisticated mapping and real world hardware (oil cooler upgrade strongly suggested). But I like messing with cars and don't mind the cost of experimenting. I'm going to take the Coupe to the track and do back to back to back runs with and without the TT and publish the numbers just for s*its and giggles.
    I think you probably don't have any dyno numbers, or track times to share, so even if it's a repeat I'd be interested in your 'gut' feeling regarding what TT did for your engine. Also any MIL/CEL issues? Thanks.

My Cars
    M6, X5, Z3, M3, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolyf View Post
    Hi Ennem. Maybe you were more analytical in another posting which I don't recall, but I'm used to more objective information from you.
    I too am deliberating which way to go on a performance upgrade and have narrowed my choice down to...all of them. Realistically, I'll probably go with the TT now and in a couple years get the Dinan. I know they are completely different approaches to performance gains, and that Dinan is undoubtedly the leader in sophisticated mapping and real world hardware (oil cooler upgrade strongly suggested). But I like messing with cars and don't mind the cost of experimenting. I'm going to take the Coupe to the track and do back to back to back runs with and without the TT and publish the numbers just for s*its and giggles.
    I think you probably don't have any dyno numbers, or track times to share, so even if it's a repeat I'd be interested in your 'gut' feeling regarding what TT did for your engine. Also any MIL/CEL issues? Thanks.
    Hello "Rolyf":

No error codes. It does seem to exaggerate the tendency for the step' to upshift early when you are really getting into it. The transmission does this anyway but it appears to be worse with the TT installed. Even if I use DS mode and the paddles, it will upshift out of first, wind up to about 6500 or more in second, hit third and then immediately hit fourth. This early shift from third to fourth is a bit annoying.

I have a Gtech and did some runs without the TT. (see earlier posts.) I have not had a chance to do any runs with the TT installed due to the cold weather and poor traction with the UHP tires.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by nm335 View Post
    Even if I use DS mode and the paddles, it will upshift out of first, wind up to about 6500 or more in second, hit third and then immediately hit fourth. This early shift from third to fourth is a bit annoying.
    You must be doing triple digits by then , right?
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    M6, X5, Z3, M3, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    You must be doing triple digits by then , right?
    Hello "mryakan":

Without a doubt!

My Cars
    335I

Talking

I wrote to SSTT and this was there reply about an SSTT.
    I Quote:We have development projects for the BMW 335i that are ongoing at Split
    Second. We may be announcing a follow-on product for the Turbo Tuner
    in
    the near future.
    Sounds promising....but ughh the wait.

My Cars
    bmw 135, acura integ Type R
    I was talking to SSTT this summer, and they where saying that they where not going to offer a S2 version. I hope they change their mind, I would be in.

I went for the SSTT because it is undetecatable. ALL the other chips CAN be detected. My warranty is worth a tenth or two in the quarter.

My Cars
    Vandentaw

not understand

do not understand

My Cars
    BMW 335XI

Sstt

I can only speak ti the SSTT that I ran in my 07 335 xi and it ran a 12.6 at 110. Noticeable difference would be and understatment! Here is my drag times link: http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335xi-Timeslip-16813.html I just sold the car last Sunday and I am looking to sell the chip.

My Cars
    2003 WRX, 2008 BMW 335i
    I have the JB2. It was inexpensive, hasn't thrown any codes, and offers the upgrade to stage 3 without losing any of the money that was spent on stage 2. It was kind of a pain to install and I haven't had to uninstall it yet, but I'll only have to do that every 15,000 miles...