Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Urathane

My Cars
    '83 323i, '82 320i, '06 mazda5
    I'm kinda thinking of this as an experimental pair anyway.
    Damn, I wish I lived closer to you guys!

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by sbcrockett View Post
    Damn, I wish I lived closer to you guys!
    It's only a 3hr drive! what do you need?
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

My Cars
    I got the 50 mph shimmy and since this is my daily driver, would like to get that taken care of. And, I'd eventually like to put in some new shocks/springs to lower it a bit. The car rides nice but feels a little "floaty" at times. I'm probably going to get an Alpina bar from Ken to see if that helps, but definitely need some strut work. I've just never done it before.

Thanks for posting your progress guys!

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by sbcrockett View Post
    I got the 50 mph shimmy and since this is my daily driver, would like to get that taken care of. And, I'd eventually like to put in some new shocks/springs to lower it a bit. The car rides nice but feels a little "floaty" at times. I'm probably going to get an Alpina bar from Ken to see if that helps, but definitely need some strut work. I've just never done it before.

Thanks for posting your progress guys!
    Depending on how this set turns out, if you want to buy a new set of control arms and have me modify & install them for you, I'd be happy to help if you wanna make the drive down sometime this spring. Start buy parts now...

My Cars
    sounds good Jesse! thanks for the help. I'll try to get down even sooner to meet up w/ you guys some Thursday.

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    next local PNWBB meet will probably be either March 20th or 27th. we'll post the date on the PNWBB site when the time get's closer.

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    John,
    I just checked the inner bushings on the old ones & they look pretty good, no dry rot on the inners.

We can still do those in urethane if you want, but I have a feeling that they are already really hard and they will probably live as long as the ball joints in those arms.

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    The Urethane showed up yesterday & I started messing around with them this morning. I drilled a bunch of holes in the rubber portion so that the urethane could penetrate all the way through and be one solid cast bushing for both sides. I alsoe tried to remove as much of the rubber as I could, I even cut as much off the top side as I could.

Then I set out to build the forms. I cut up a Coke can and cut out 4ea 10mm wide strips and two 50mm circles. Then using hot glue, I built the forms on the control arms and attempted to seal them up. Next time I'll try harder on this part... Also, one the second one it dawned on me that I should probably try to use some hot glue & seal up the hole in the metal sleve that would be on the bottom so it didn't seep in. Wish I would have thought of that on the first one.

measured out 2 parts urethane polymer & 1 part hardener after setting up an area to work and capture any potential spills. I just so happened to have some disposable cups that were just about the perfect height to set the arms up on so that the top part of the casting would be level, and started pouring urethane down through the holes.

So it's all setting up at the moment, probab;y should have added a tad more hardener as it's setting up pretty slow.

As it turns out, I was right about sealing up the bottom of the metal sleeve, but it worked out okay, I just kept sticking an old pencil down the shaft and wiping off the urethane after I pulled it out.

All in all, pretty easy to do. After it sets up fully, I'll pull the forms off and snap some more pics.

My Cars
    81 323i
    clay works as a good sealant
    -Josh

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    they finally set up enough to pull the forms off. I think they are turning out really well. They still need to cure a while longer, probably a good 24 hrs. Would have been less if I had used more hardener, learned my lesson for next time. They are ready for you to paint them the color of your choice John! Wern't you going to pick up some urethane boot covers too?

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    very nice work. That's exactly what I had in mind if I do this...

this definitely needs added to the FAQ thread, I'll post a link to it in my suspension section.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    83 320iS, 83 533i, 90E34
    Jester ROCKS! Some say a judge was going to give him comunity service one time, then laughed and said hell, thats what you do for the bimmer guys anyway! Get outta here and schedule a tee-time with my secratary next week!

Thanks again, Jess. I'm picking these bad boys up today, and putting them on Monday if all goes well. I don't expect a lot of help with my "new" shimmy though- I think the stooge at Les Swab somehow bent my front left inner rim during my last allignment pretty good, which is when it first showed up. But it will be nice to have the popping noises go away! I'll report out on them later since this is also a test of sorts.

My Cars
    2 E21s, E28, Z3 Coupe
    jester 'community service' 323... kinda long for a handle, but i can get used to it...

wafermannnnnnnnnnnnn... what's up?

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by waferman View Post
    I don't expect a lot of help with my "new" shimmy though- I think the stooge at Les Swab somehow bent my front left inner rim during my last allignment pretty good, which is when it first showed up.
    PS: that reminds me, I don't know that I ever gave you the contact info for that shop that straightened all of my wheels:

Skip's Wheel Werks
    wheelwerks@yahoo.com
    503-641-8001
    4560 SW 96th
    Beaverton, OR 97005

Cost me $35/wheel to be straighened. Let me know if you plan on doing this anytime soon, as you saw yesterday when you came over, my set of wheels/tires is sitting in the garage off of the car, so you are welcome to borrow my set while you are getting yours straightened, so long as we figure out what's going on with your "slotted subframe" that is! I'm also pretty sure that Chris Rich has an extra set laying around that you could probably borrow for a while.

I'm waiting on pins & needles to find out how those arms work out!

PS: I'm happy to report that after an approximate 24hr cure time, the urethane set up as hard as I had expected it should. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous after the first 12hrs or so...

My Cars
    83 320iS, 83 533i, 90E34
    Well, I dont think I will start to put them on today as a good house clean was in order and I needed to take my boy to preschool. Single dad stuff, you know Tomorrow I will try again!

Thanks for the offer to use your wheels, but I don't want to wear them out too much! I still have my 13" white baskets that came with the car. They need new tires also...

My Cars
    83 320iS, 83 533i, 90E34
    Well, the home-made Urathane control arms are in, and I am way happy. Shimmy is gone! The steering is very light now and I'm happy to report that it still tracks straight, so my last allignment is still good. Couldnt' be happier! Jester came over at noon, and we literaly had them both on by 1:30. The only test now is durabilty, and that of course will take time.

The failure was limited to one control arm, and it wasnt the rubber as I had suspected. The whole large bushing had worked it's way out! It was still fine, new in fact, and stiff, but the pressed in bushing had worked it's way out of the control arm. Not a normal failure mode I suspect. But with these, I am hoping to never replace them again.

John

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Actually John, I was looking at them closely today, and the old rubber bushings were starting to dry rot a bit, not exactly perfect, but the fact that the bushing was working it's way out is in no doubt in my mind the "popping" noise you were hearing. The ball joints in those arms should fail long before the urethane does... I hope...

I like suspensions!

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester323 View Post
    PS: that reminds me, I don't know that I ever gave you the contact info for that shop that straightened all of my wheels:

Skip's Wheel Werks
    wheelwerks@yahoo.com
    503-641-8001
    4560 SW 96th
    Beaverton, OR 97005

Cost me $35/wheel to be straighened. Let me know if you plan on doing this anytime soon, as you saw yesterday when you came over, my set of wheels/tires is sitting in the garage off of the car, so you are welcome to borrow my set while you are getting yours straightened, so long as we figure out what's going on with your "slotted subframe" that is! I'm also pretty sure that Chris Rich has an extra set laying around that you could probably borrow for a while.

I'm waiting on pins & needles to find out how those arms work out!

PS: I'm happy to report that after an approximate 24hr cure time, the urethane set up as hard as I had expected it should. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous after the first 12hrs or so...
    Jesse two quick questions: Do the urethane control arms make you less comfortable in the car. Can you feel the bumps more?

Secondly do you like Skip's wheel service. I have a set of BBS marhle rims I need straighted and polished and painted. I was thinking about sending him my set of rims.
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    83 320iS, 83 533i, 90E34
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgbmw323 View Post
    Jesse two quick questions: Do the urethane control arms make you less comfortable in the car. Can you feel the bumps more?

Secondly do you like Skip's wheel service. I have a set of BBS marhle rims I need straighted and polished and painted. I was thinking about sending him my set of rims.
    Joe, the ride is fine. The steering seems much lighter than ever before, and the shimmy due to a big dent in the inner rim has been taken care of. When you hit things like a manhole cover, or small cracks in the road, it seems to be xmitted to the steering wheel more, but nothing close to dangerous, no jerking or anything like that.

A business like Skips isn't hard to find, and I am sure that you can find one closer! You would have to pay a lot in shipping that would be better spent on your mechanic's shop fees!!

John

My Cars
    83 320iS, 83 533i, 90E34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester323 View Post
    but the fact that the bushing was working it's way out is in no doubt in my mind the "popping" noise you were hearing. The ball joints in those arms should fail long before the urethane does... I hope...

I like suspensions!
    Yea, I am sure that's what the noise is also. But I think you should pitch that arm. If it was remanufactured, they may have reamed out the control arm too much and the metal sleeve of the bushing wont stay in any longer, or if the arm was manufactured by OCAP then it is out of spec. I don't think urathane will keep it from popping out again, and a new one pressed in may do the same. They are cheap enough to give it a try, though- under $10 IIRC.

My Cars
    BMW E21 316 1.8
    The failure was limited to one control arm, and it wasnt the rubber as I had suspected. The whole large bushing had worked it's way out! It was still fine, new in fact, and stiff, but the pressed in bushing had worked it's way out of the control arm. Not a normal failure mode I suspect. But with these, I am hoping to never replace them again.
    Happened to me once, a perfectly fine bushing popped out. My mechanic spot-welded it into place Worked fine for a couple of years, though!

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgbmw323 View Post

Joe, you really won't feel the bumps any more if you think of going over a speed bump in a straight line, but you will feel a bit more if you hit a pot hole. You will be able to feel the road a bit more though, one of the reasons I love this car as opposed to something with power steering where some of that connection is lost. What this should be doing is pulling out some of the "muddiness" or sluggishness respose from the sway bar. With the rubber bushings there is a little more give so the car can roll a bit more from side to side. It should also make the steering a bit more responsive as John was illuding to.

Yea, I am sure that's what the noise is also. But I think you should pitch that arm. If it was remanufactured, they may have reamed out the control arm too much and the metal sleeve of the bushing wont stay in any longer, or if the arm was manufactured by OCAP then it is out of spec. I don't think urathane will keep it from popping out again, and a new one pressed in may do the same. They are cheap enough to give it a try, though- under $10 IIRC.
    John, the way I build these, the bushing poppong out really won't be possible any more, as it's all sandwiched in between the two large washers on each end and there is positive contact from the washers to the actual metal of the control arm. This was possible with the design of the rubber bushings because the washers on each side never had 100% positive contact with the actual control arm. Kind of hard to explain, but I wouldn't have any doubt that that would no longer be a problem with the way that I've designed them, I'd even be willing to run them on my car. now I would be concerned about this with the other method of filling the control arm bushings that's shown in the Tricord thread and linked to in the FAQ thread vs my method.

My Cars
    83 320iS, 83 533i, 90E34
    OK, I see what you mean about the washers and the contact. I remember the stock bushings did have some room. Keep em as back ups for when Freds' fail

My Cars
    E21 2.7i 1974 2002
    Hi..how much was the tin of Urethane and hardner. I am thinking of getting some sent out to New Zealand. Cannot find anyone here doing this product.

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    shoot me an email & I'll hook you up.

the_nemecs AT verizon DOT net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast