Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: - -CCV(Crankcase/oil Seperator) Fixed!!! w/Pics!!!- -

My Cars
    '98 528i

Thumbs up - -CCV(Crankcase/oil Seperator) Fixed!!! w/Pics!!!- -

- -Well today I tackled the common CCV (Crankcase Vent/Oil separator) problem. My problem was a very loud intake leak sound and once I placed my finger over the side port on the CCV, the leak went away as best my finger could make it do. Also motor would shack back and forth, lighting in and outside the car would dance to the misfire that the CCV was causing among other things. Here is the new unit: , , , .Here is a view from the front of the car of the old unit , . Just before I started this I asked myself could the CCV be replaced without taking the intake manifold off. The answer is YES It can be replaced with out taking the intak manifolid off. Here are the intake manifold gaskets I bought a while back thinking that they were the problem . On to surgery, first I started with removing the air box from the fender to the throttle body . Once the tubing is removed you can see the 3 bolts that hold the CCV in place on the bracket . As you can see the three bolts are easy to get to. They are 10mm. After disconnecting a couple of pigtails and moving a few lines out of the way for clearance the CCV came out without much fuss , , . Once the old CCV was out, I took these picks to show them both , , the CCV on the left is the new one and the one on the right is the old one. After that it’s just a matter of doing the reverse and making sure you reconnect any lines or pigtails that were disconnected. This is a go time to check all hoses and cables while most of the big boxy items are out of the way. Also check the hose coming from the bottom of the CCV to the oil dipstick to tube. After a while the rubber becomes spongy from the heat build up and if you look inside you can see that the inside of the hose is starting to deteriorate. So it would be best to change it at this time. Here she is all buttoned up back to normal . I was curious to see what the old looked like inside and out, so I took it apart and snapped some shots. I hope this helps anyone out there whom may have the problem I had with a bad CCV(Crankcase/Oil separator). I have more photos and info if anyone needs it. My car now runs and ideals MUCH, MUCH better. When I get to work tomorrow I will have the check engine light cleared and wait to see if it will come back on. I have yet to drive it since the work has been done. Going to fill her up before I go to bed just thought I would go ahead and right this up first. I still hear a very faint air sucking sound but it could just be me and my superman hearing when it comes to this car. I’ll get a second option from one of our techs tomorrow and see if I’m just hearing things. Just a side note, while the CCV was bad I did smell the fuems in the cabin from time to time and my OBC said my gas MPG were 20.9. I thought that was very strange, so I’m going to reset the MPG and the MPH gauges and see wha I get after a few tanks. Here are the pics of the old CCV in its nakedness enjoy. , , , , , , , , , , . If I missed anything let me know. Here is the link to a thread that helped me out http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214052. Thank you. Peace.
    Last edited by Jfive96; 01-27-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: text correction
    * *Guns Don't Kill People, Crazy Mutherf@^#ers Like Me Kill Theives!!!!!!* *
    "Connections Etc." I got what you need! Get at me!!!
    I'm Rich B*%$#h!!!!

My Cars
    e39 i6
    wow, good write up!

thanks for the info!

My Cars
    '98 528i
    - -No problem. Now time to go gas up.- -
    I'm Rich B*%$#h!!!!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    AWESOME writeup!!!

I am planning on doing this later today.. helped me a TON! This should be added to the DIY.
    2001 330iSapphirschwarz metallic mit beige Leder
    1997 328iSchwartz II mit beige Leder *totaled*
    Ich liebe Bayerische Motoren Werke!

My Cars
    Bmw 540i/6; 530i/5
    nice job!

FS:NEW_BF_Goodrich_245/35/17

My Cars
    00 540i, 11' X5 50i
    Does the 540i have this also?

Current:
    2016 BMW 535i xDrive
    2017 Volvo XC60
    2000 BMW 540i

Past:
    2012 Audi A4 S-Line
    2011 BMW X5 50i
    2010 Mercedes ML350
    2002 Lexus IS300
    1998 Audi A6 Quattro
    1988 Honda Prelude

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Al's540i View Post
    Does the 540i have this also?
    Yes, but it's a different part # - 11151705272

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    I just removed mine and I noticed oil goes into the intake manifold. Is that bad?

BMW 528i Automatic - Premium and Winter Package - Avital Remote Starter - XM Satellite Radio - e60 wheels - LPG

My Cars
    1999 528i touring, 1967

thanks for the write up

Wonder if my 99 can be accessed the same way? I would love to manage this without pulling the intake manifold.

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbos1 View Post
    Wonder if my 99 can be accessed the same way? I would love to manage this without pulling the intake manifold.

It's easy. Just remove the air filter housing and MAF, take off fuel pressure switch and you're there.

BMW 528i Automatic - Premium and Winter Package - Avital Remote Starter - XM Satellite Radio - e60 wheels - LPG

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    Did you have an engine vibration at low rpms before the swap? (one you could hear and feel inside the cabin) I've been chasing that problem for a year now with no luck.....

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    Yesterday Check engine came on again with P1189. Idle was bad and low.
    Today I checked for leaks and I found out that CCV have a bad gasket.
    Tomorrow I will put a new one so...

My Cars
    1998 528i
    How in the world did you get the CCV valve out??? i tryed today for 2 hours and still couldnt get it out, so i just unplugged the bottom tube and flushed the CCV with carb cleaner... well the car started to work better... but back to my question how did you get it out??

My Cars
    '98 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by kokoman View Post
    How in the world did you get the CCV valve out??? i tryed today for 2 hours and still couldnt get it out, so i just unplugged the bottom tube and flushed the CCV with carb cleaner... well the car started to work better... but back to my question how did you get it out??
    - -I disconnected the hose that runs from the valve cover to the CCV at the valve cover then pulled the CCV down passed the IM. You will have to work it a little. There was more room to do it than I thought.- -
    Last edited by Jfive96; 03-03-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: text
    I'm Rich B*%$#h!!!!

My Cars
    540i6, Golf MkII Gti16s
    hi,

can anyone tell me where it's located in a 540i6?

thx!

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Quote Originally Posted by pholos View Post
    hi,

can anyone tell me where it's located in a 540i6?

thx!
    Back side of intake manifold. It looks a little different though.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    528i
    Hmmm My OBC says 20.9 all the time too... never changes. Is that indicative of anything? ('97 528i)

My Cars
    tite
    so does that big piece of shit do the same thing for the most part as a $2 pcv valve in other cars?

p.s. little tip when taking close up pics, hit the botton with a little flower on it then it wont be blurry and worthless

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by 7808 View Post
    so does that big piece of shit do the same thing for the most part as a $2 pcv valve in other cars?
    Yes. Back in the day, before we drove E39's, we tuned up our cars with distributor caps, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filters, air filters...and a new PCV (positive crankcase vent/valve). Most cars had them sitting right there, on top of the valve cover, the E39 hides it down near the throttle body.

I changed mine and wrote about it 4-6 months ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    01 530i, Honda Ody

?

My deaership said I have an oil leak at this location(oil seperator) they want $540 to fix it. Where would th oil be leaking from? The actual unit ofr where a hose goes into it, or where it goes into the intake manny?

01 530i "to borrow from 1 is plagiarism, to borrow from many is research"

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    please note: in production dates 9/98- the CCV is located UNDER the intake manifold.

My Cars
    1999 528iTA, 2007 Odyssey
    getting this fixed on Tuesday at an indy shop $798 + tax. Half the price of stealer. what else should i get done at same time?
    Rob
    Silver 1999 528iAT 250000

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    Damn!
    You can fix ot for 80 bucks.

My Cars
    1999 528iTA, 2007 Odyssey
    problem is i live in an apt and have nowhere to fix it...i can get parts but what good are parts if i can't get them in the car for a decent price. only a few indys here that will even touch bmws...
    Rob
    Silver 1999 528iAT 250000

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by lionaht View Post
    getting this fixed on Tuesday at an indy shop $798 + tax. Half the price of stealer. what else should i get done at same time?
    that sux ass. 798!

i got it fixed at an indy for 300.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast