Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changed Rear Bearings in 1 hr! Write up!

My Cars
    1995 bmw 325is
    anyone know how many bearings are on each rear? is it just 1 bearing per side? so a pair of bearings would be able to do the 2 rears? correct?

My Cars
    Many in the worshop.

My Cars
    99 M3, 90 535iA, 89 325is
    Is this the tool everyone is talking about?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bmwpower / bmwcca 147895 / 05 X5 / 99 M3 / 90 535i / 89 325is track project

My Cars
    a tricycle
    the URL with all the pix is down again

If I could do it all again, I would, just to be with my friends--my brothers. West Point c/ '03

Always Loyal. Always There!

My Cars
    97 328i sportpkg 5-spd
    djbit, can you please host the pics on photobucket in the meantime? Thanks!
    | CDV delete | ASC delete | Fan delete | debaffled airbox
    | H&R sports | Koni SA | 3.23 LSD | M3 CABs | M3 RTABs + shims | UUC Red TME
    | Understeer SSK | Rear subframe re-inforcement | Powerflex subframe bushings (update: went back to stock) | Porterfield R4 pads

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Ok, so following the advice of this thread I changed my rw bearings and I have to say, anyone who can do this job in one hour is either a professional BMW mechanic or a professional bullshitter.

Notes from my experience:
    1. If you have a car with high mileage don't expect to get the hub off easily... It took me about 45 minutes a hub with an oversized slide hammer. (note that my car has ~150k miles and it was obviously the first time these had been removed)
    2. If you think a dremel will cut a bearing race effortlessly you are mistaken. I ended up using a bearing puller and a press to get the inner race off of the hub, which is a better way to do it anyway.
    3. Hammering or tapping your hub back in is risky and potentially fatal for your new bearing, easier method: Purchase threaded rod, 4 nuts, and several washers (one washer with the same OD as the inner race of the bearing, and one with an OD larger than the ID of the hub. Make tool to press hub into bearing using bearing inner race. Return rod, washers, and nuts to store.

Good luck guys!

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325i
    i just bought a used low milaege trailing arm with the bearing already in it for 100 dollars, wham,bam thankyou mam!

My Cars
    '99 323is, '95 300zxtt
    I just did all 4 wheel bearings myself and I have something to add:

I did NOT use a puller. I removed the entire trailing arm and popped the bearings out on my HF 20 ton hydraulic press. They took an UNBELIEVABLE amount of force to come out. The 1" thick steel bars I was using as press plates bent a LOT, and the left rear bearing race shattered when it popped out. It's not easy to shatter a bearing race. Anyways, the point is that I can not even imagine doing this job without hydraulic tools. I would have been hammering and pulling all week. Maybe my bearing was seized worse than most, but nevertheless, if you DIY you should be prepared to put your car back together and take it to a mechanic. BTW... removing the trailing arm was not very difficult.

To remove the inner bearing race from the hub, I cut it with a dremel about 80%, then pounded it a few times with a cold chisel. It cracked easily where it was scored. This way i avoided damaging the hub with the dremel.

This has been said before, but should be emphasized:
    - When pushing the bearing into the trailing arm, push on the outer race only.
    - When pushing the hub into the bearing, the bearing should be supported from behind by the inner race. Don't just hammer on the hub or you will screw up your bearing.

The front bearings are easy, and can be removed easily with a puller.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Posting with some pictures would be very nice....

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50

My Cars
    85 735i (m), 86 735i
    NICE write up...even without pics.

Can't wait to view the write-up site with pics once it is back up.

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    I can't beleive no one saved a copy of these pics and put them up on a real pic site. Come on folks, someone must have them? I need to do this job this coming weekend....

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JETninja View Post
    I can't beleive no one saved a copy of these pics and put them up on a real pic site. Come on folks, someone must have them? I need to do this job this coming weekend....
    Me too!

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by dls729 View Post
    2. If you think a dremel will cut a bearing race effortlessly you are mistaken. I ended up using a bearing puller and a press to get the inner race off of the hub, which is a better way to do it anyway.
    I had no problem cutting them off:

I cut three notches, cracked it with a chisel in the middle notch and it slid right off.
    1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D
    The hours your BMW spends parked....you don't get those back.

My Cars
    85 735i (m), 86 735i
    Sorry, but the link doesn't work.

Does anyone have pics that they can e-mail me?

Most importantly I need to see the bearing tool because I don't want to spend $250 for the BMW tool if I can get it from harbor frieght/ebay/sears or use something else cheaper.

Thanks again!!!

PS: This seems like the perfect job to do while replacing the rear struts, since I need to buy a spring compressor as well.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '95 300zxtt
    Quote Originally Posted by Duce735sanda318 View Post
    Sorry, but the link doesn't work.

Does anyone still have pics that you can e-mail me?

Most importantly I need to see the bearing tool because I don't want to spend $250 for the BMW tool if you can use something else cheaper.

Thanks again!!!

PS: This seems like the perfect job to do while replacing the rear struts, since I need to buy a spring compressor as well.
    You don't really need a spring compressor for the rear struts. And you wouldn't really save that much work by doing them together.

Sears just has pullers. HF has some wheel bearing tools but they're a little junky. IMO you should either get a hydraulic press or the BMW tool.

My Cars
    530i
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    I had no problem cutting them off:

I cut three notches, cracked it with a chisel in the middle notch and it slid right off.

how in the world do you get that off? are you suppose to just pull it out?! not the bearing, the whole thing

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudor View Post
    how in the world do you get that off? are you suppose to just pull it out?! not the bearing, the whole thing
    I believe BMW has some sort of "special tool" that attaches to it and pulls it off via the small groove.

I just cut a diagonal line with my dremel and then used a center punch in the cut area to crack the bearing sleeve and then it just slid right off:

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security

My Cars
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudor View Post
    Slide Hammer:

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Slide Hammer:

Hey you had me do a double-take there for a sec buddy! That looks almost _exactly_ like my setup, down to the car color, the "101 projects" book I used, and the slide hammer rented from AutoZone!

My Cars
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    Hey you had me do a double-take there for a sec buddy! That looks almost _exactly_ like my setup, down to the car color, the "101 projects" book I used, and the slide hammer rented from AutoZone!
    Does your garage look like mine?

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Does your garage look like mine?
    Yours looks cleaner than mine:

My Cars
    323i coupe

Question

Hi there,
    I am in the middle of changing my rear bearings now as all i needed to do was change the protective shield what the brake shoes attach to but have had to undo the rear hub and remove it.

I can maybe take some pictures tomorro and post them for all to see??? If any1 wants me to

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPITE View Post
    Hi there,
    I am in the middle of changing my rear bearings now as all i needed to do was change the protective shield what the brake shoes attach to but have had to undo the rear hub and remove it.

I can maybe take some pictures tomorro and post them for all to see??? If any1 wants me to
    You mean the dust shield? Can't that just be cut off and not replaced?

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Just a note to anyone looking to do this to an M3. Most of the DIY's and guides in here are from regular E36 Folks (thanks guys!) but there are some differences.

The E36 M3 has:

Larger Axle Nut - 36mm 12pt.
    Larger Diameter Bearing & Carrier. (so all those DIY made out of pipe tools wont work until you get even bigger diameter pipe pieces! I'm in the middle of it right now, so I don't have the measurements yet)
    Larger and stiffer C-Ring (to hold bearing in)

I also had no problem dremaling the outter races off the Hubs...easy stuff! (have a B&D Dremal, put her on "6" and cut away!!!) Even cut that blasted C-Ring, none of my C-Rings tools (even bought new HD one) could handle that puppy until I mad that relief cut..)

I'm also curious about the Dust Shield and any ramifications from removing or cutting it way down. I plan of doing those two Balljoints at the same time and the dust shield might have to go.....

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast