Thread: lighting control backlight replacement DIY

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328IC, '01 CVPI

lighting control backlight replacement DIY

OK, my first shot at a DIY but I know there are others that either need to do this or don't even know the controls should be backlit...

The correct replacement bulb can be gotten from any Advance or Autozone parts store.

All that you will need. A philips screwdriver, a hook tool or some other long narrow item (thinner than a screwdriver) and a non-marring pry tool but a flat blade screwdriver wrapped in tape would work in a pinch. Also a pair of needle nose pliers was helpful.

Remove this screw immediately underneath the headlamp control and set aside in the cargo pocket or somewhere where it will not up and vanish.

Next use your pry tool to pop out the bottom of the control from the dash. Once it pops out STOP do not pull it out any farther!!!

Next grab the panel at the two lower corners and pull straight out AND DOWN toward the floor at the same time. The panel should pop loose but will not come very far out of the dash so don't keep pulling once it pops loose.

This is about as far as it will come out of the dash. Next disconnect the main lighting control harness by rotating the collar of the harness counter clockwise (as you look at the back of the swich). It will back itself out as it loosens.

Once that is done you can see the two pin Molex style connector for the foglamp switch. You need to squeeze both the upper and lower tabs while pulling back to release this. Note do not push too hard forward or the switch will pop out of the bezel and may not go back in properly.

Once that is done you should be holding the assembly in your hand. The bulb is kind of hard to find but it is in the little 3/8" socket at the 10 o'clock position of the main headlamp harness connector.

Grab the light bulb socket with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it straight out. You will see the bulb once you have it out. Simply pull the bulb out of the socket and push the new one right in.

Installation is exactly the reverse of removal. To test the light before you put it back together be sure to turn the key to IGN as this light bulb has power all the time when the ignition is on but not if you just turn on the running lights. Open the vent all the way so you can see the alignment of the vent to the duct as you re-install the bezel assembly. This is where the pick tool comes in handy to guide the vent onto the duct. Be patient with this step as it is a PITA but getting it wrong will damage the vent and cause poor airflow.

There now you have gotten rid of that distracting black hole to the left of your steering wheel. Hopefully this is helpful to all.
    Building police cars out of necessity...Driving a BMW by CHOICE!

1997 328IC, 132K miles
    Aluminum radiator, Silicone hoses, FDM, Shark Injected, Cosmos CAI, UUC RSC36 cat back, Ebay long headers, M50 manifold swap, M3 front bumper, single mass clutch, CDV delete with braided stainless flex line, EVOSport underdrive pulleys, DINAN strut tower brace

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I'm sure this has been covered before but those are very nice pics. Very clear not fuzzy and just close enough to get a good view of each step without being distorted.

Nice job.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328IC, '01 CVPI
    Yeah I know it was covered a couple of places but the details were sketchy at best and pics were not so good so when I decided to take a shot at the project myself I thought why not improve the DIY too. Thanks for the kudos.
    Building police cars out of necessity...Driving a BMW by CHOICE!

1997 328IC, 132K miles
    Aluminum radiator, Silicone hoses, FDM, Shark Injected, Cosmos CAI, UUC RSC36 cat back, Ebay long headers, M50 manifold swap, M3 front bumper, single mass clutch, CDV delete with braided stainless flex line, EVOSport underdrive pulleys, DINAN strut tower brace

My Cars
    96 328i boston green
    can i do the same to my heater control lights ? there out i was going to just dive into it but figured id look around for something sim

My Cars
    96 328i boston green
    nice diy... i changed all my bulbs today ... worked perfect now least i can see all my stuff

My Cars
    2004325xiT/ZHP/1995325is
    Thanks! Changed this morning. Took all of five minutes. Swapped out me OBC light bulb at the same time--it's the same bulb.
    PM me if you needE46Touringparts

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    Just did this today. Thanks! The hardest part was lining up the ventilation duct. And that was still pretty easy. Until now, I always thought there was no light bulb there.

You rock!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318IA Sedan
    Haha. Wasn't even aware that those controls had a backlight! Will be fixing them very soon! Thanks for the DIY.

My Cars
    '00 528ia Sport, '07 MCS
    Is the cigarette lighter ring bulb the same as well?

My Cars
    325is
    I'll be doing this soon! Didnt know places like autozone would have the bulb so i kept getting 50 cent ones from pullapart.

My Cars
    E36 320i '93
    nice write up....and info, will did it today never know there is back light on it

My Cars
    1996 318i
    gonna try this. any night pics of the finished product?