Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: SMG tranny to manual?

My Cars
    S50B32
    19 comes with the master cylinder i ordered.

I am using the Hel clutch line, pretty good quality and you can choose the colour you like, it replaces 22-25.

http://helcarkits.co.uk/index.php?ma...roducts_id=604

Last edited by ellislau; 03-18-2010 at 03:59 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DusM3 View Post
    The plug-in pipe is required (it is deceptively small in the diagram, it is a right pain to install) and you can use the braided line in place of the hose-I'm considering the HEL brand, the other bits are cheap and good to have just in case.
    sorry mate which part is the "plug-in pipe"?

i already have the HEL braided line

and the transmission is still out, so install could be easier, altho i am not doing the work

Quote Originally Posted by ellislau View Post
    19 comes with the master cylinder i ordered.

I am using the Hel clutch line, pretty good quality and you can choose the colour you like, it replaces 22-25.

ellis, ive got one just like that and now i know which parts it replaces, thank you
    Last edited by 98m3estoril; 03-18-2010 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E30/E36/E34
    Hi,

I opened my e46 m3 smg gearbox and it didn't have this big release spring. It seems that every e36 had one. All other parts are same as e36. Any ideas where to get this spring. I'm using this gearbox in my e36 trackcar.

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Plug-in pipe is item 11. It connects from the slave cylinder to the master's rubber hose, it runs along the firewall.

My Cars
    S50B32
    Quote Originally Posted by f1zz View Post
    Hi,

I opened my e46 m3 smg gearbox and it didn't have this big release spring. It seems that every e36 had one. All other parts are same as e36. Any ideas where to get this spring. I'm using this gearbox in my e36 trackcar.
    Do you mean part 2 & 6, they are the same parts for both E36 & E46, the gearbox has the same code name S6S420G.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...hifting_parts/

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I'm having the stall issue that Elislau is describing. When cold, it starts and runs fine. If you shut it down and start it with the engine warm, then I get the engine stall issue when engaging the clutch. The rpms fall to 500 or so, then bounce up and then down again and then stall.
    Wow:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=971063

Just say no to cheap reps. Go real or go home.

OZ bolt tools for $41 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OZ-FUTURAS-S...item51a0a55203

My Cars
    S50B32
    Quote Originally Posted by FSUhorizon View Post
    I'm having the stall issue that Elislau is describing. When cold, it starts and runs fine. If you shut it down and start it with the engine warm, then I get the engine stall issue when engaging the clutch. The rpms fall to 500 or so, then bounce up and then down again and then stall.
    I think you mean disengage the clutch, i find it is somehow related to the weather, it happens more frequently when it is hot. Try disengage at above 1.5k rpm and reduce engine brake duration, or even disengage clutch before release the gas pedal, it helps.

I am going to do some vacumn test as i saw some surface cracks on the cap (part 5).

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...urb_air_valve/

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I think you mean disengage the clutch, i find it is somehow related to the weather, it happens more frequently when it is hot. Try disengage at above 1.5k rpm and reduce engine brake duration, or even disengage clutch before release the gas pedal, it helps.

I am going to do some vacumn test as i saw some surface cracks on the cap (part 5).

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...urb_air_valve/
    You're right on the disengage/engage. I meant when I push the clutch pedal in is when I'm having the stalling issue. Or when starting when the car is warm.

I'm in Florida so if it's heat related that's not good new for me. I've had the car for a few weeks now and it's recently been getting into the 75 degree range.
    Wow:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=971063

Just say no to cheap reps. Go real or go home.

OZ bolt tools for $41 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OZ-FUTURAS-S...item51a0a55203

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by FSUhorizon View Post
    I have noticed it is when the engine is in closed loop after initial warm up-outside temps do not affect it, ie make it better or worse , though declutching at a lower rpm does eliminate the dip. But bottom line it should not do that and I would believe we all have the same problem.
    I have a throttle body and intake arriving tommorrow, I'm going to have a good look at the closed throttle bypass porting arrangement, they could be blocked?
    I'm suprised no-one else has had this problem and solved it.

My Cars
    S50B32
    A M3 3.0 friend got the same symtom, engine stall when declutch.

He initially replaced the Air Mass Sensor and no improvement. The problem was finally solved after he replaced two Cam position sensors and one more sensor on the engine, he didn't recall what it was but i believe it is the TDC sensor which we don't have this the M3 3.2.

The cam sensors' part numbers are different to M3 3.2, i wonder if the 3.2 sensors will be more relaible.

My Cars
    e36M3,635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by 98m3estoril View Post
    sorry mate which part is the "plug-in pipe"?

i already have the HEL braided line

and the transmission is still out, so install could be easier, altho i am not doing the work

[/U]

ellis, ive got one just like that and now i know which parts it replaces, thank you
    did you get your hose from overseas or in Adelaide thanks as I havent ordered that part as yet

Petero

Hi 98m3estoril I hope you see my previous message about the braided line but also who in Adelaide did your bell housing machining for you as i thought that a guy here in Victor could do it but I saw him today and he cant so if you could give me that info it would be great.

petero
    Last edited by Petero635; 03-22-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Petero635 View Post
    did you get your hose from overseas or in Adelaide thanks as I havent ordered that part as yet

Petero

Hi 98m3estoril I hope you see my previous message about the braided line but also who in Adelaide did your bell housing machining for you as i thought that a guy here in Victor could do it but I saw him today and he cant so if you could give me that info it would be great.

petero
    Hi Petero, I got my HEL braided clutch line from eBay, there is a guy selling them in Queensland:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HEL-braided-c...item3cab620a35

In regards to machining your gearbox; I actually purchased a second hand manual gear box and just replaced the SMG gearbox. So I have not done any machining sorry. I don't know much about machining etc so I avoided it altogether.

There is a wrecker in Adelaide called ASV Euro Spares, they have another branch in Sydney where the manager has converted a few SMGs to manual, he said if I wanted I could courier the box over to Sydney, he would machine it and send it back. Maybe try giving them a call if you get stuck as he seemed quite knowledgeable on the subject.

I also got my clutch pedal etc from them too.

My Cars
    Vs Commodore
    ^It's your choice to go the way you have, though I think you need to reread this thread carefully, you may lose your engine by way of a serious mechanical over-rev- so easy to choose the wrong gear with no gate centreing.
    I'm pretty sure clutch-line parts are M3 Euro specific, and the support bracket for the shifter is available at the dealer.
    You would not purchance have the part number for the support bracket for the shifter would you?

Also on this page http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...lutch_control/

Did I need to get part 14 #21 52 6 775 924 or #21 52 6 768 362
    Last edited by Talen77; 03-29-2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Updated info

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Here it is...Part #17
    Bracket= http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...r_floor_parts/
    Re the HEL clutch line, I just got mine from Queensland, wrong fitting on the slave side, very undersized. The sellers been good he's making a new one that matches the original hose, I'll post a photo when I get it.
    The other thing I'm concerned about the hose is the 2mm bore in the fitting, does anyone using one have the same small bore size and does it behave like a restrictor ?
    Last edited by DusM3; 03-29-2010 at 10:11 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Re the HEL clutch line, I just got mine from Queensland, wrong fitting on the slave side, very undersized. The sellers been good he's making a new one that matches the original hose, I'll post a photo when I get it.
    The other thing I'm concerned about the hose is the 2mm bore in the fitting, does anyone using one have the same small bore size and does it behave like a restrictor ?
    hey Dus, I assume you got the HEL line from the same guy I did on eBay? we are still waiting on the plug in pipe, so I am unsure whether it connects to the plug in pipe. I am fairly sure it connects to the slave at one end though, I will double check with my mechanic

any luck on solving your power loss issue?

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    The problem is with the slave side fitting , other end is OK.
    Re power loss, going to the dealer for a full scan in about an hour, hopefully I'll have some idea.

To Tallen 77 - Part 14 yes, part 21 no (its a restrictor and not in the listing anyway)

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by 98m3estoril View Post
    any luck on solving your power loss issue?
    Got back from the dealer no wiser and a little poorer, no faults logged except for one instance of "implausible timing" 35 running hours ago.

My Cars
    S50B32
    Got back from the dealer no wiser and a little poorer, no faults logged except for one instance of "implausible timing" 35 running hours ago.
    What does "implausible timing" mean?

Leaky cylinders may cause power loss.

http://www.automedia.com/Engine_Comp...cr20050801cc/1

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    What does "implausible timing" mean?

Leaky cylinders may cause power loss.
    I'd like to know what compression values others have, mine is at 170psi across all cylinders, dry test.
    Implausible timing could have been when I replaced the vanos and being full of air threw the code, or I've unplugged something while it was running, it was only the one time anyway.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    I am about to familiarise myself with the conversion process.

I was wondering.. what parts MUST be purchased new and what can we get away with using used parts from say a wreckers yard?

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    Is it possible to use a 5 speed gearbox from a basic 6 cylinder car?
    I am halfway through my second conversion and have a decent 5 speed gearbox sat here, will it fit? If so, i can put the car back together and convert the 6 speed at my leisure as the car will be stripped again at the end of the year. I beleive the 1-5 gear ratios are near enough the same, the only slight advantage is the weight?
    Any help/comments greatly appreciated

My Cars
    M3 Evo, 328 trackcar
    5 speed from a 328/M3 3.0 is a straight fit. I have one on mine

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    Thanks for that,
    Is there any way you can tell by looking at the box which model it came from?
    Is the prop the same?
    Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by goughie; 05-03-2010 at 10:45 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    hey all
    my conversion is finished!
    the car drives really well and the shifter feels tight
    the throw is quite long, so might look into a short shift kit
    the shift knob is also huge so looking at a ZHP too
    no stalling issues at all so far, and the power is great (ive now also got a working refurbed vanos installed)
    a couple things i did notice - the throttle pedals does feel quite heavy, and isn't as responsive as i would like
    i noticed in an earlier post, DusM3 wrote that he altered the throttle to fix this?
    anyone know any more about this?
    the clutch pedal also seems to engage a little close to the firewall, but i dont really mind that at all

no more crap SMG faults!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    S50B32
    Congratulation, 6MT is a lot better than SMG.

Hve you check if it is caused by the throttle cable, there is a thread about this recently.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast