Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: SMG tranny to manual?

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Ha! I thought something didn't feel right as I was typing. Thanks for sorting that out, now I'll get busy with this switch and hope things improve. I'll be bridging the in gear swith since we couldn't get the gearbox plug out at conversion.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    So the in gear switch is on the gearbox, correct? and the clutch switch is on the clutch fluid line? I'm having the same stall issue and want to get it fixed.

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    Well I've wired in the clutch switch, interestingly the switch is actually N/C, opens under pressure. I don't have an in-gear switch .
    Normal cold start, air pump engages as usual, drops out after a couple of minutes , then the engine revs at about 1k for a while and eventually settles at around 800 at temp. No more dipping of revs with engine braking !
    One thing may be influencings things for now- I found the rubber manifold boot ripped and sucking in unmetered air ( adding to the dipping issue over the last couple of weeks ) , repaired for now but my adaptions must be up s.creek , will see what happens.
    It also seems that when I disengage the clutch the idle revs tend down- opp. to what I expected? Not much but noticable-or the ecu is still responding to the repairs I've made. I'll unplug the switch next week and see if there is any change.
    I would be very relieved if an ecu change is not needed !
    Cheers for now

My Cars
    99 m3/97 evo m3/93 325is
    Has anyone figured out where to get the centering spring #4 in the diagram back at the beginning of the diagram?
    98 Euro E36 M3 (ExSMG)/99 M3 Daily Driver/93 M3 (S54) TBD-hp/TBD-tq ) Current NASA track record holder TTD on street tires @ 3450lbs (Eagles Canyon 2:05.3, MSR-Houston 1:47.08)S52E36 TWS CCW 1:54.8, COTA 2:30.6 Race Lap 3yr old 245/40/18 Hankook Z214 C51)

My Cars
    1998 BMW S50B32 M3 coupe
    buy it from a BMW dealer.
    S50B32 341Bhp@7800Rpm, CDA SP03, Supersprint manifold+decat+Rear race exhaust, BMW Performance Brembo 6/2pot brake with E46 M3 CSL discs, KW V3, H&R sways, Motorsport strut bars, fully powerflexed, GT2 optic, 19" BBS RS-GT wheels with Michelin PSS.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Wow, thank you guys for all the really helpful information. This forums users are really helping each other, thats just great. Can't wait to do my rebuilding!!

My Cars
    M3 Coupe 321
    HELLO EVERYONE!!!
    /
    I am doing a convertion, and I have a question. WHAT we IMPROVE CHANGEING 16 ITEM? Differenc betwin balls and cups? they changed a feeleng? or it makes stronger something? PLEASE I am hurry!!! I have only a few days before live my home (because i am going to work probably for a year to Cape Town and I want to finiseh before live!) and just this 16 part, BMW must send from germany and they takes more time!!
    THANKS A LOT!!!!

My Cars
    M3 Coupe 321
    HELLO EVERYONE!!!
    /
    I am doing a convertion, and I have a question. WHAT we IMPROVE CHANGEING 16 ITEM? Differenc betwin balls and cups? they changed a feeleng? or it makes stronger something? PLEASE I am hurry!!! I have only a few days before live my home (because i am going to work probably for a year to Cape Town and I want to finiseh before live!) and just this 16 part, BMW must send from germany and they takes more time!!
    THANKS A LOT!!!!

My Cars
    95 325ci convertible

SMG tranny to manual question

My friend is attempting to do a manual conversion with his euro M3 SMG, and I've been reading the parked post above as well as other materials.

I'm making a new thread because people can't see that a new reply has been written in a parked post.

Okay, when you open up the transmission, I can't figure out where to get the two parts shown in this image.

The two parts don't seem to be in any parts list in the original post or anywhere else.

No. 1 is the metal stopper that stops the spring from uncoiling, and No. 2 is the ball bearing assembly.

I think I read somewhere that someone suggested you machine the part like No. 1, but isn't there a part available from BMW?

What about the ball bearing? Please help.

smg.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And also, no one seems to have mentioned this, but don't we also need a slave cylinder reserve tank? Everyone just lists the slave and master cylinder, but no reserve tank. And I can't seem to find the reserve tank on realoem either.
    Last edited by boogyman; 05-01-2014 at 01:00 AM. Reason: posted identical pictures

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    The slave cylinder reserve tank is built into the brake reservoir tank on "regular" manual models. I think it's there on the SMG but the bottom port is capped. Worst case you just need to swap to a standard brake reservoir.

The bearing is just an off the shelf bearing. I'll measure it tomorrow night if I remember. It might even have the part number on it. Timken, SKF, NTN and several others make a bearing in that size. It's like 10-15 bucks.

The pin can be sourced from a 5 speed getrag transmission.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...28&hg=23&fg=15

It's in part 4 in that picture. No part number listed, though... if you look up other years or trim lines you'll find one with it in there. I grabbed one on ebay for like 17 bucks and pressed the pin out of it.

And then you know you need to machine the bellhousing for the shift detents, right?

My Cars
    95 325ci convertible
    Thanks for the info.

I'd appreciate it if you could get me the part number for the bearing.

Also, for the reverse gear, in the realoem parts database, there is a gear indicator switch. Don't we need that for the reverseg gear light and gauge indicator?

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Well, there's no gauge indicator on my car so I can't answer that. But the reverse gear indicator switch SHOULD still be on your SMG transmission, I believe. If not, it's the same switch from the 5 speed 328i transmission so it should be pretty cheap to source.

I'll grab that part number when I get home tonight.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3 EVO lhd
    HI everybody
    Im a new member and like most of you lot im having problems with my E36 M3 EVO /smg gearbox
    spoke to my mechanic and the way to go is converted to manual
    could any one pm a list of parts needed for the job ?
    any kits for sale anywhere ?
    I did see a full list of parts and pictures but was for a E46 , could someone say if its the same or its different ?
    cheers everybody

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 M3 SMG
    I recently bough a kit from CA Technologies from UK and got it shipped over to Australia. My E36 M3 is currently in the garage getting the work done.

My Cars
    2001 Bmw 520d
    Hi. Ive just bought a m3 3.2 with the SMG... And after reading abit on the forum im starting to be afraid that i may have some problems with it..
    When i start the car. I turn the key, then i put the shifter in 0 and held the brake, then ill have to wait for maybe 20 secs for it to be ready to start. And sometimes i have to wait for almost a minute. Because i have to turn the ignition off and on again. Should it be like this? Is there a spesific procedure of what to do when starting the car up?

And while driving and shifting up. It kinda slips a bit. Like if you go on the throttle again before youve fully released the clutch pedal on a manual transmission..
    Should it be like this? This is when driving in AT mode and manual mode.

Sorry for my bad english, im norwegian

My Cars
    BMW E30
    Pressure issue, read the pressure with diagnostic software.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    ^^
    Sound like "just" a bad accumulator.

Such a shame so many get converted. It's not such a bad system, not at all.

Just completely misunderstood, even dealers don't know half.

Most of the issues have all been tackled by now and the main worse issue, a failing pump, can be solved for under $100.

I and a few other SMG1 ethousiasts have no problems or nothing that can be solved and we all really love the system.

I would never convert it too a manual.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    X5 E70
    Hi, im Linerio, im from Mexico City and i new in this site , i have a M3 E36 SMG 1997/12 6 speed and i want convert to manual, i have many dudes, maybe you can help me.

The kit clutch and the flywheel its the same to M3 E36 SMG and M3 E36 Manual?

Thanks
    Last edited by linerio; 12-06-2014 at 04:11 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Why? What problems do you have?

IG:

My Cars
    X5 E70
    i have a new kit clutch Sachs for my SMG, never use it for that the system I fail and want to know if it me works or need to buy other one

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    What?

IG:

My Cars
    X5 E70
    Mparallel
    ok!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi "moem3"

You have the page or pics of the kit? i want convert my smg to manual
    Last edited by linerio; 12-16-2014 at 04:33 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    So what is wrong with your SMG?

IG:

My Cars
    1993 325 conv
    After several carefull readings of this thread, nobody is speaking of the pressure switch on the clutch line that all manual cars have.

Part 25 of
    http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...control#pos_25

Is our smg system already wired to use this pressure switch ?
    Or this is better to avoid this switch by using the line number 12 on the scheme ?

Thanks in advance !

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    There is a totally different clutch control diagram for SMG cars right next to it.

SMG doesn't have that pressure switch. The switches are all inside the hydraulic unit.

IG:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast