Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e92 M3 MPG

My Cars
    2003 M3 coupe

e92 M3 MPG

did a quick search and didnt see anything

Just wondering what you guys are seeing on your on board computer for gas mileage, city and hwy. I just want to see how accurate the 14/20 claim is on the sticker.

Not that I am financially capable of buying an 08 M3 but a few years down the road I might to. Thanks for any input.

My Cars
    1995 Dakar m3/2/5
    Its like 14 and 17 or something absurd like that.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    Im getting in the 13's mpg in town and I havent been getting on it at all do to breaking it in. so Im guessing when i start getting on it, it will be around 10mpg
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    2003 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ahardm3 View Post
    Im getting in the 13's mpg in town and I havent been getting on it at all do to breaking it in. so Im guessing when i start getting on it, it will be around 10mpg
    ouch, my dreams of being an e92 M3 owner have just taken a blow, I dont know if I could ever allow myself to get 10-13 MPG....atleast not in a D.D.

I wonder why there arent any other real world responses to this yet, I guess you new owners are too busy out enjoying your M3s to be in here posting about them .

My Cars
    2005 330i ZHP
    You can't be serious. You are considering buying a $65K 414HP sports car, but the MPG is holding you back?

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    Quote Originally Posted by 325guy View Post
    You can't be serious. You are considering buying a $65K 414HP sports car, but the MPG is holding you back?
    Yep they wasnt even a consideration when I bought mine
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    05 evo rs, 89 impulse 2.6 turbo, 87 chevy van
    You are considering buying a $65K 414HP sports car, but the MPG is holding you back?
    That kind of thing bothers me, too. There is no reason the engineers can't squeeze a few more MPG out of it. Maybe use direct injection? My Isuzu makes 400hp/tq and gets around 20MPG. Gas costs $5/gallon for it but...

My Cars
    window sticker says 14 city, 20 hwy. Just PDI'd and drove a second one yesterday.

I don't know if they're selling out, or are hard to get in certain markets, but we've got at least two sitting here for over 2 weeks. we've got three, but not sure if the third is sold or not.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132881 -- appears this guy averageed around 8.5-10 mpg in the city and 16 on the highway.

I assume if you 'baby' the car -- you might hit the EPA estimated numbers; but, if gas is a concern -- probably should not buy this car. Maybe not the best daily driver ..

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by 325guy View Post
    A huge part of the appeal of this car is your ability to use it everyday comfortably, I can see how this would throw some people off. Its not a sports car, its a sports sedan.

*IMO* there are far better choices for a weekend/track/fun toy than this car if that is why you are looking to buy it. Fuel economy is becoming more and more of an important issue to car buyers, even for the $65k and up crowd.
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cemimms View Post
    ouch, my dreams of being an e92 M3 owner have just taken a blow, I dont know if I could ever allow myself to get 10-13 MPG....atleast not in a D.D.

I wonder why there arent any other real world responses to this yet, I guess you new owners are too busy out enjoying your M3s to be in here posting about them .
    Just wait til gas goes routinely to 4 or 5 bucks/gal!! Ahh. i can see it now.. "80 dollars worth, please" .. O U C H . Thats only about 300 bucks a month for gas. Anybody affording this car wont bat an eyelash at the $4k per year the gas will cost them. Hmmmmmmmmm.... Work your budgets, people!!
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    05 evo rs, 89 impulse 2.6 turbo, 87 chevy van
    For me it's not the cost of the gas itself. It is the fact that BMW spent so much time futzing with crap like navigation and heated seats and headlight washers when they could have spent the time making the powerplant a little more efficient.

My Cars
    '08 M3 Coupe; '06 ML
    Quote Originally Posted by cemimms View Post
    did a quick search and didnt see anything

Just wondering what you guys are seeing on your on board computer for gas mileage, city and hwy. I just want to see how accurate the 14/20 claim is on the sticker.

Not that I am financially capable of buying an 08 M3 but a few years down the road I might to. Thanks for any input.
    I've only got 600 miles, and am getting 13.5-14.5 on easy urban/suburban driving. I think it will reach 20 on the highway (will see this weekend). Not a car that will earn big "green" points. It's my one indulgence in an otherwise pretty sustainable life.
    Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon

2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir Orange full leather
    2012 ML350 - Alpine White

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W / Oregon View Post
    I've only got 600 miles, and am getting 13.5-14.5 on easy urban/suburban driving. I think it will reach 20 on the highway (will see this weekend). Not a car that will earn big "green" points. It's my one indulgence in an otherwise pretty sustainable life.
    I'm kind of amazed at how well the 135i is rated at ...

Now that you've been behind the wheel Greg -- how does it compare to the E46? I know you are still breaking it in; but, is fit and finish better - similar, does handling seem better, are you more connected or less to the road, is it more luxury, can you feel the weight, etc.

My Cars
    Ferrari 360
    I'm sure the car will pull 20MPG like the sticker says on the highway, but you have to remember driving a v8 at slower speed really kills the mileage. My 740 on the highway will pul 19-20MPH at 75 on a flat, but around town driving gets around 12-13MPG. Unlike smaller engines, how/where you drive the car really changes the mileage you'll get.
    2000 Ferrari 360
    2004 Yamaha R1
    2007 Porsche 911 C2S Cabrio
    2017 VW Jetta (DD)

1995 M3 (SOLD HELP ME FIND IT TO REBUY)
    1998 740IL (Sold)
    2003 x5 4.6is (Sold)

My Cars
    06 M3 / 95 M3
    I drove an E92 last weekend and overall the car was incredible.

I thought it was a bit sportier or more aggressive than the E46, but not punishing.

My E46 M3 is heavily modded with exhaust, cams, big brakes, DA coilovers and I think the E92 would wipe the floor with it.

I didn't feel the weight driving it. Though it did feel like a bigger car than the E46.

I instantly started thinking about how I could buy one in the next year or so....but I still love my E46 so I'm not sure what I will do.

One thing that is really dissapointing is the alleged gas mileage. It's horrible.

I average about 22 mpg in the E46 in mix city/highway, and I get about 29 on the interstate.

How is it that 20 mpg highway is the best BMW can do for this car? Hell, a 505 hp z06 still gets 27 mpg highway.

If this car can truly only get 20 mpg on the interstate, I will probably be looking elsewhere as this would be a daily driver for me.

For me to buy it it would have to get 20 mpg mix city/highway.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    don't ask
    Quote Originally Posted by rmani View Post
    I'm sure the car will pull 20MPG like the sticker says on the highway, but you have to remember driving a v8 at slower speed really kills the mileage. My 740 on the highway will pul 19-20MPH at 75 on a flat, but around town driving gets around 12-13MPG. Unlike smaller engines, how/where you drive the car really changes the mileage you'll get.
    Thats really not how fuel efficiency works with a car. It doesn't matter what engine you are using, stop and go city driving is horrible for fuel mileage, and the constant speed/load of freeway driving winds up being much better, regardless of displacement or # of cylinders.

There is a point with every engine in a particular car will get its best mileage, and it has to do with drag, rolling resistance and the efficiency of the engine along with other things. Since aero drag becomes the overriding factor, usually the slower you drive the better.
    -Peter

Current toy: none
    Past cars: 88 M3, 99 M3 x2, 04 M3, 91 NSX, 06 S2000, 01 911TT, 06 Exige, 00 NSX, 04 GT3

My Cars
    06 M3 / 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rmani View Post
    Fuel mileage is a function of power used and efficiency. Therefore, how you drive anything will have a large impact in mileage, this is especially true as the HP of a given car increases.

Example, my E36 M3 gets about 12 mpg on track, the E46 gets about 8. Why? Because the E46 makes more power than the E36. Around town they get similar mileage, because the power required to get and keep the car moving is about the same, and so is the efficiency of the engines. If I had my foot in both of them on the street (like you would on a track) the E46 does worse.

My old 540i 6-spd averaged 22 mpg with 29 on the highway.
    1995 M3

My Cars
    98 Dakar M3, 09 Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W / Oregon View Post
    And this dude is from OREGON... ( i miss Portland , spent 14 years there )

They have hills and dips and many stop lights and traffic and anything you think of to make gas mileage drop.... Maybe some of you should rethink what you call "easy" driving cause obviously my fellow Oregonian here has the odds against him and is doing a better job the most. Rock On Greg...... to bad I was a VW kid when I was in Oregon.

WTB: E36 ACS Widebody

My Cars
    e36 323is
    One thing you have to think about here is that the V8 in the new M3 rev's really really really high. to make power that high, the cam timing must be insanely high too. I know it has double vanos, but it can only do so much and at the lower rpm's the engine is getting nowhere near its top efficiency as far as valve timing goes. Just something to think about. The new(ish) Vettes have a huge 6th gear that turns around 1300 rpms at 60 mph which helps tons but it also redlines around 7k, meaning the cam timing can be much lower. not to mention it makes boatloads of torque.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    What about the 911s that are getting 19 city and 26 highway?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Fuel efficiency vs. performance is a statement of the degree of technological advancment these days. Bottom line is, the Porsche 911 has direct injection and the M3 doesn't. The E90/E92 M3 engine is very good but, if it had DI, I bet we wouldn't be spending a lot of time on this topic. Sure, minimally equipped, with tax, finnance cost, registration fees etc. this car is going to run you at least $70,000. Option it up, and you can use that figure as a starting point. If your stretching to afford say a payment of between $1200 and $1300 a month, plus, increased insurance cost, 10 mpg. at, say, $5.00 a gallon could be the straw that breaks the camal's back. Were not talking about someone that has limitless resources, or someone that is using it soley on the weekend. Were talking about a middle-upper income guy/gal that uses the car as a daily driver and puts, say, 80 to 100 miles per day on the car. That's easy enough to do if your picking up dropping off kids at school, as well as going to work. Gas prices are not going to stay "low" for ever. Everybody's hoping for the economy to turn around. If it does, POW! Gas prices will spike just like they did before. Of course, there is always the argument that someone shouldn't be "stretching" to buy an M3 anyway, but that's a whole other debate.

My Cars
    e36 323is
    911's are lighter... and smaller engine. a smaller car all around compared to the M3.

My Cars
    88 5000 CS Avant
    I normally average between 16-18.5mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. However, I did a long drive back from Watkins Glen last night back to Cambridge, and averaged 20.2mpg with the cruise control set between 80 and 82mph most of the trip. At 65mph I was averaging over 24mpg. The thing that kills this car on highway mileage is the short 6th gear. At 80 it's running about 3300rpms; fine for passing power but not for mileage.
    '91 Civic DX race car
    '08 M3

My Cars
    M3 E92 550 525 track
    My E92 now has just over 3000 miles. During the run in period, 1200K, I got around 16mpg in town, and on the highway 23 plus. Having just returned from a 700 mile trip, I got 22.8 mpg with high 70mph driving. I have not really pushed the car yet, and in fact, have not used the "M" mode yet. I suspect that sprited driving will result in sprited visits to the filling station.
    bz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast