Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Symptoms of a Bad Camshaft/Crankshaft Sensor

My Cars
    740iL/SL500

Symptoms of a Bad Camshaft/Crankshaft Sensor

Hi,

does somebody knows the symptoms of a bad camshaft and/or crankshaft sensor on a 96 740iL?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    bmtroubleyou

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    "Check Engine" light.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Yep, check engine light as well as stalling, usually at slow speeds, or when shifting from drive to reverse, or vice versa if the cam sensor is bad. Sometimes, you'll also get long cranks.

My Cars
    2001 735i High Line
    Might be easier if you tell us what symptoms you've got, and we can maybe draw on our experience to narrow down the possible cause ..... ie. not starting at all would be a symptom of a dead CPS, but the cause of your particular no-start might be a flat battery ...... but you forgot to tell us that it won't even crank ....... these things are such fun to try to diagnose from minimal information!
    So: does it idle badly, does it misfire under load, does it stall, is it down on power, does it just run roughly at all revs, is it using loads of fuel, etc etc.
    '80 733i 208,000 km Granite Silber
    '88 535i 180,000 km Cirrus Blau
    '00 735i 265,000 km Cosmos Schwartz (deceased)
    '01 735i 132,000 km Cosmos Schwartz

My Cars
    740iA 2000
    I have read two different threads where the symptom was rattling noise from the fuel injectors (!) It sounds strange but when the CPS was changed the noise disappeared. No error codes from the CPS.

However, both were 6 cylinder cars: one 523iA -98 and one 528iA -98.

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    That's a loaded question. With the cam position sensor, sometimes there are no symptoms other than the dreaded 'check engine' /'service engine' light. The car may seemingly run fine, especially if you have two of them, and one suddenly starts to go.

The crank position sensor gone bad will almost always cause your car not to start, although the engine will turn over.

Neither are inexpensive, and the codes thrown are very vague.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    740iL/SL500

Start problem after sitting more than 15 minutes

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies.
    I have a little problem with my 96 740iL. When the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]car[/COLOR][/COLOR] is parked for 15 minutes or longer it needs up to 20 seconds to start up. We have checked the fuel pressure and it appears to be fine. It holds 45-50 psi. The only code we have found is 139. One mechanic told me that i have a problem with my ignition. When I start the car up after a minute or so it starts right up.
    I have New fuel pump/filter. New cats. New battery. NO engine light on.
    But the biggest problem I have is to figure out what engine I have in this car. I have checked other ones an they look different.
    Any ideas.

Thanks

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    If you mean BMW code 139, that's a map cooling fault in most cars. P-code 139 is an O2 sensor slow response (bank 1, sensor 2) code.

My Cars
    E39 540i 528i
    [quote=bmtroubleyou;12599111]Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies.
    I have a little problem with my 96 740iL. When the car is parked for 15 minutes or longer it needs up to 20 seconds to start up. We have checked the fuel pressure and it appears to be fine. It holds 45-50 psi. The only code we have found is 139. One mechanic told me that i have a problem with my ignition. When I start the car up after a minute or so it starts right up.
    I have New fuel pump/filter. New cats. New battery. NO engine light on.
    But the biggest problem I have is to figure out what engine I have in this car. I have checked other ones an they look different.
    Any ideas.

Thanks

This is exactly the problem I am having!!
    My 540 M62TU has trouble cranking when it has been sitting for some time.
    I have:
    Brand new MAF
    Brand new Spark plugs / Fuel injectors
    INtake manifold - gaskets, vacuum, o rings all replaced.

My car drives nicely but has the issue of cranking up.

Could it be the:
    Camshaft position sensors (both banks??)
    Crankshaft sensor
    Knock sensors???

Help?
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 05-20-2010 at 03:33 AM.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Cam sensors don't generally cause long cranks. Knock sensors definitely won't cause long cranks. Crank sensor will almost always cause what you're describing. Inspect the wiring, make sure it hasn't been chewed up by rodents. Also check your fuel pressure when cranking.

My Cars
    145 cylinders of power
    I have an extra good working crank sensor for 95-98
    Random Sig below (refresh to see new image)

My Cars
    2008 525i
    The crank position sensor gone bad will almost always cause your car not to start, although the engine will turn over.

Jake - can't understand your terminology can you clarify please...
    cause your car not to start - do you mean not to crank, not to rotate the starter?
    although the engine will turn over - do you mean engine will start?

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Check out my Transfailsafe thread here. My car just dies and wouldn't run for more than 5 seconds, acted just exactly like a fuel starvation problem. Mechanic said his code read a bad camshaft position sensor, will find out Tues if that is the problem. Could have sworn it was the fuel filter, or fuel pump the way it acted

My Cars
    2001 740 il
    hi. i have a 01 740il. the check engine light it's on .i used R5 fcx3 to find a problem & it fund bunch of fault code.......
    1- mixture control,off idle cyl#1-4
    2-precat 02 sensor heater, cyl#5-8
    3-secondary air system, cyl#5-8
    4-camshaft position sensor cyl#1-4
    my car runs good. i clear the fault codes two times and check engine light turns back on after 20 min. can anyone help me with this?

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Start with the CPS.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    +1 CPS is most likely the issue

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    bmw 740il, corvette
    I'm not sure if you got your problem resolved or not.. but my ses light was on and the code reader stated that the camshaft position sensor was bad.. symptoms were; longer cranking times and stalling when going into reverse. I noticed a lack of power and mpg was less.

My Cars
    740iL/66 SS Chevy Impala
    So what happened, what was the solution. I running into similar problems?

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    then change it, it's a $90 piece of mind

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme1 View Post
    I'm not sure if you got your problem resolved or not.. but my ses light was on and the code reader stated that the camshaft position sensor was bad.. symptoms were; longer cranking times and stalling when going into reverse. I noticed a lack of power and mpg was less.
    Definitely sounds like a CPS. The CPS is pretty much the only thing that will cause a CPS code (yet it causes so many other unrelated codes).

My Cars
    740iL/66 SS Chevy Impala
    Changed the camshaft, changed bank 2 precat, changed the oil, reset check engine light. stunted on the whole block cuz they can't DIY (i literally did it in the middle of the street) lmao Kids kept playing basketball while my brother was under the car, I was about to throw a wrench at them or at least the bad o2 sensor.

edit. oh yeah and I passed my smog test and obd2 checked with some guy we know and guess what? NO CODES!!!!!!!!!!!! one sensor was causing all the problems. and I passed my smog test and got insurance and im ready for the summer almost. still more DIY needed. oh and thanks. could not have done with out bimmerboard/bimmerforums.
    Last edited by EtherHunt; 05-20-2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: oh yeah and I passed my SMog test

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme1 View Post
    Well, same thing happened to my bm.. And i was getting too worried that I immediately took it to the car shop and had the camshaft position sensor replaced right away. after that, it was running good again..
    Last edited by michaelross; 07-12-2010 at 11:29 PM.

My Cars
    2000 e46

Crank Sensor replacement video

Typically a no spark and no fuel symptom is the crank sensor. In this case it did not fix the issue, but the video shows how to replace the sensor.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJj3CnHyVwk[/ame]

My Cars
    90' 325i, 73' T100
    Quote Originally Posted by crewdog843 View Post

Im glad I found this old thread, it may help address a problem I am having firing the car up. I was wondering though, is there a way to check a voltage across the sensor to double check it doesn't work? I am ordering a new one, but I figured it would be nice to know why throwing the park on will help, thanks
    I am driving from England to Mongolia for the Summer of 2012. If you are interested in mayhem, land mines, and endless horizons check out the travels I am doing this summer https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quart...82749081746820
    Zum Wohl,
    tjse30

My Cars
    1996 740IL

Cps part number

i think i have a bad CPs from code reader and decriptions below.

where could i get part number for replacement 1996 740il CPS??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast