Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Center Console Removal

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT

DIY: Center Console Removal

I had to replace all of this stuff because I DIDN'T read a DIY before attempting to do this, so I have dedicated my life to making sure you guys don't go down the same dark path I have...

The new parts w00t w00t!!

This is what the center console looks like....

First thing to do is pull the shifter off... (Upwards, AWAY from your FACE...) It will give you a black eye...

Next, take a thin, flathead screwdriver, and towel...

You're going to insert the towel covered screw driver in between the black plastic and the woodgrain, DO NOT TRY TO PRY THE WOODGRAIN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL NOT MOVE, THERE ARE SCREWS HOLDING IT DOWN...
    This is where you pry, and seperate the plastic from the wood....

The plastic piece is not going to just move easily, there is a tiny plug holding it in place, you're going to have to sneak your hand in there, and unplug it... Its the white stuff (wires) pictured below....

Once you have unplugged the center piece, you will see the two screws holding down your woodgrain trim...

Unscrew these, and gently pull the woodgrain back towards the trunk, and up, as it is clipped onto the ashtray compartment.... Keep in mind, there are still wires attached to it...

Unplug these wires:

If you are replacing the wood trim (like I had to) the window buttons clip off, its pretty self explanatory by just looking at it...

Next you will have to take out the sunglass compartment... Just open it, and pull gently until it pops loose... NEVER force anything... trust me...

Next you will locate the 4 screws holding the center console unit to the car.... They are pictured below...

The two on the bottom:

and the two on the top:

Now, I can not emphasize the importance of taking the next step CAREFULLY, as you have to mess with the bezel to get the console out without scratching up your leather... Like before, there are wires holding it to the car, so don't pull too hard... Give yourself enough space to get your hands in there, and unplug everything...

Now there are 4 plugs that need to be unplugged, the two on the top are for your buttons, and the two on the bottom are for your cigarette lighter.... unplug these:

At this point, you should be able to set the console on your lap, turn it over and look at the back:

Different models have different buttons, mine is a cabrio with heated seats, so I have 1 unit with 5 buttons on it... Different models may have different set ups:

At this point, you will need a set of star-key thing things:
    I took a picture of the biggest one in the set so you can see what it looks like:

at each side, there are two screws, use the star-key thing thing to take them off... Now the buttons can be separated from the unit:

pick up any loose change underneath the shifter....

And then re-assemble...

Thats about it.... as a bonus for all of my sorrows, I bought a shifter off an e90 and slapped it on there....

Last edited by Initial Z32; 07-01-2009 at 02:34 PM.

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Ninja edit...
    Last edited by Initial Z32; 12-22-2009 at 10:11 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 325I 2001
    hey thanks I'll look this up if i ever have to take the center console out!!

My Cars
    01 325ci
    +100 Great DIY man! That was smooth.

The new shifter looks good too. Congrats!

Thanks for putting the time and effort into showing us that, really appreciated.

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90
    That shifter doesn't flow with your interior. But it looks good.
    Nice DIY.
    Ian

My Cars
    2000 323i
    nice

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    the shifter matches, it matches the two silver pieces that hold the seatbelt in place.. it looks much better in person, the pics don't do it justice...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Did you buy that black part above the DSC and heated seats button? (the little cabniet thingy)

either way that looks nice and I did something like this as well last week.. i'll post some pics

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    yeah the sunglass compartment is new also... you cant replace one without the other, the older one will look old as hell

My Cars
    E92 M sport and a VW
    very nice, i dont think ill ever have to to do this but ya never know right?

props

My Cars
    '04 325xi
    this would've been useful BEFORE i installed my ipod Dice thingy...

My Cars
    99' BMW 323i
    Great DIY man.

I was looking at your profile and I was like hey ive talked to this guy before!

remember myspace?
    i asked those few questions about my car but i cant remember them lol..

Thanks!

Troy.

My Cars
    Dinan 330CI
    Good job. I have the same interior. I think the black goes.

My Cars
    323Ci

OK...

I'am looking at the pics and I'am thinking, "Those lights are sorta bright... didn't the guy disconnect the battery before pulling all the electrical stuff apart?"

Or, did the camera flash just make the lights look like the key was on?

Anyway... thanks for the write-up and pics.

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy645 View Post
    Great DIY man.

I was looking at your profile and I was like hey ive talked to this guy before!

remember myspace?
    i asked those few questions about my car but i cant remember them lol..

Thanks!

Troy.

Yeah I remember, what was it again that you were trying to do!?

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy lee View Post
    I'am looking at the pics and I'am thinking, "Those lights are sorta bright... didn't the guy disconnect the battery before pulling all the electrical stuff apart?"

Or, did the camera flash just make the lights look like the key was on?

Anyway... thanks for the write-up and pics.
    I had the car on, with the A/C blowing, its hot in Houston.... The electrical stuff in that area won't throw a check engine light or anything...

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial Z32 View Post
    I had the car on, with the A/C blowing, its hot in Houston.... The electrical stuff in that area won't throw a check engine light or anything...
    I think me means being shocked.......

Anyways good DIY. Way to post it in the right sub-section

(Where have you been)

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y View Post
    I think me means being shocked.......

Anyways good DIY. Way to post it in the right sub-section

(Where have you been)

lol the only thing that can shock you down there are the wires for the cigarette lighter, and the positive one has a plastic cover that makes it impossible to touch the metal...

I've been busy with school and work, and doing the Bavspeed thing... Its a local forum, we have meets, hit up the car shows, I would post pics, but BFC now only permits 15 photo's per post... It used to be 30...

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    only if my shift knob came out that easy. i Had like 6 people try already, they all failed. They are not worthy enough i guess
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SMILEZ View Post
    only if my shift knob came out that easy. i Had like 6 people try already, they all failed. They are not worthy enough i guess

The first time is the hardest, what I did was put it in drive, wrapped my hands around the leather, and pulled up from underneath the shifter, as opposed to pulling the shifter itself... twist it from side to side a lil bit, and it'll pop off...

My Cars
    Alpine white e46 m3
    nice write up. this will come in handy for future surprises i have for you guys....

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    w00t w00t!!! Mike!!! Dude, hows the car coming along, have you decided to fix it or what?

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    Bro i open the sunroof. Got up on my sets grabbed that piece of sh*t and pulled. I even got a blowdryer and heat that mtf for a while and pulled. Previous owner probably super glude that ho.
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

My Cars
    2011 135i M-Sport ///MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SMILEZ View Post
    Bro i open the sunroof. Got up on my sets grabbed that piece of sh*t and pulled. I even got a blowdryer and heat that mtf for a while and pulled. Previous owner probably super glude that ho.

If you're taking it off to get another one, try twisting that hoe off.... That'd be stupid for someone to super glue it... With or without the button, you can shift as long as the brake is pressed... you can put the manual shift knob on there, the auto shifter button is just there for decoration I swear lol

My Cars
    2003 325i ZSP, 1987 325i
    let me guess intitial. you tried to pop out the center wooden piece by sticking the screwdriver under and popping it out. Am I right?? im laughing cus i did the same ish...
    Manual Sports Package l H&R Race Springs l Angel Eyes l 6k HID's l Clears l 5% tints l LED tails l M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler l Conforti's Cold Air Intake l CSL V2 l Vorsteiner Vented Hood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast