Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are good speakers too replace 4 Rear Deck Speakers

My Cars
    '98 740i

What are good speakers too replace 4 Rear Deck Speakers

I did the subwoffer search and I saw some really nice stuff (bsw, etc). All I want is to replace the factory speakers with some similar yet better speakers. Any one replace only the speakers? If so, what speakers do you suggest? Anything plug and play?

TIA

My Cars
    2015 435i sport
    I'm am by no means an audio expert, but i am a pretty experienced consumer...The rear deck speakers are 6.5" and there are several aftermarket options to choose from. There is one small issue. In general the difference between "factory" speakers and expensive aftermarket ones is thier construction materials and their ability to handle power. That being said, since you won't be playing your new speakers at a very high load, you might not notice THAT big a difference after replacing them. If you put an amplifier (installing an additional one or changing the head unit) on them, you'll probably notice a big difference. As far as brands, you can do a search on the forum and get dozens of suggestions. Personally, i like alpine and mb quart for my highs.
    2006 750i 2001 740LI (RIP)

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    If you decide to upgrade your rear deck speakers, then get an aftermarket amp. This is very important, underpowering speakers are just as destructive as overpowering them. The stock amp only sends out something like 20 watts RMS to each rear deck channel. Aftermarket 6.5"s generally run from 40 - 90 watts RMS depending on which ones you get.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il 11/00
    I thought the rear deck speakers were 5.25"?

And it is possible to add just speakers and/or an additional amp without losing DSP and the factory nav right?

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ucbearcats27 View Post
    I thought the rear deck speakers were 5.25"?

And it is possible to add just speakers and/or an additional amp without losing DSP and the factory nav right?
    The Mid-Bass in the front and rear doors are 5.25" The Rear deck is 6.5"

Yes, an aftermarket amp and speakers can still work with the DSP and NAV.

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    what about if you dont have DSP?
    2001 - Alpine White 740IL
    Old Sig - 1998 BMW 740IL Black on black, HID headlamps and HID fogs, CCFL Angel Eyes and custom screwdriver holding up window mod!!

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by backinblack98 View Post
    what about if you dont have DSP?
    You can still do it. With or without DSP, its easy.

My Cars
    '98 740i
    Any pointers?

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    I just realized I dont have any speakers in the rear deck, WTF?
    Old Sig - 1998 BMW 740IL Black on black, HID headlamps and HID fogs, CCFL Angel Eyes and custom screwdriver holding up window mod!!

My Cars
    1999 Ford Explorer Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by backinblack98 View Post
    I just realized I dont have any speakers in the rear deck, WTF?
    Only DSP equipped cars come with the rear deck speakers.

That doesn't stop you from putting a sub and a amp in though.

My Cars
    95 740i 03 330i
    I just did 4-way 6.5 pioneers in the rear deck and i'm happy with it.

My Cars
    '98 740i
    So, I should get a larger amp and four 6.5" subwoofers?

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIsLuke View Post
    Only DSP equipped cars come with the rear deck speakers.

That doesn't stop you from putting a sub and a amp in though.
    Is the wiring any different, would all the wires to tap into still be there? If not, what will I have to tap into to get the speakers and amp working?

My Cars
    '98 740i
    Also, is speaker depth limited? I have my eye on a set of JL Audio or Kicker 6.5 woofers.

My Cars
    '98 740i
    bump

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by likedatyall View Post
    Also, is speaker depth limited? I have my eye on a set of JL Audio or Kicker 6.5 woofers.

TIA, did you ever settle on the which rear speakers to install? i thought the rear speakers were smaller too - 4" or 5.25"?? anyway, it's simple enough to remove that cover & measure so i'll check it out for sure tonight.

My Cars
    2001 4x4 Tahoe, 2001 740i Sport
    It must depend on the year as to what size your speakers are so be sure and check before you order, and I would also recommend measuring the hole layout because some people have suggested that although the speakers measure close the 5.25 they aren't actually that size. Also the depth is a very big concern as I have heard that some speakers will not fit in depth but will in circumference. good luck.

My Cars
    '00 750IL 03/99,98 Honda F4
    Quote Originally Posted by likedatyall View Post
    I did the subwoffer search and I saw some really nice stuff (bsw, etc). All I want is to replace the factory speakers with some similar yet better speakers. Any one replace only the speakers? If so, what speakers do you suggest? Anything plug and play?

TIA
    You and Visionblade should get together and work this out, he has a similar post.

My Cars
    '00 750IL 03/99,98 Honda F4
    I have some JL-audio 5.25's in my Saturn that have the same cage as those, so they might drop-in. I'm not too familiar with many other 5.25's cages so I couldn't give you any other insight on a drop-in. You could completely close the hole with some lexan cut some new holes and put in any other 5.25 that you could squeeze side by side in that hole. 6.5's might be too big. All this is moot if you just remove that huge semi-subwoofer thing. Might even be cheaper. Only thing to loose is space in the trunk.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    i think you're right. i measured mine tonight & they are definitely NOT 6" let alone 6.5" .. i have a 2001 740il. they seemed to be ~5 to 5.5" so presumably they are 5.25".

who makes a sub that small though? or are most people installing 2 & 3-way speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by xtahoex View Post
    It must depend on the year as to what size your speakers are so be sure and check before you order, and I would also recommend measuring the hole layout because some people have suggested that although the speakers measure close the 5.25 they aren't actually that size. Also the depth is a very big concern as I have heard that some speakers will not fit in depth but will in circumference. good luck.
    Last edited by kahlilj; 04-11-2008 at 08:53 AM.

My Cars
    2001 4x4 Tahoe, 2001 740i Sport
    I think you will have to either try a two way or 3 way or use a component and just not install the tweeters. either way they will not produce any highs as long as the dsp amp is still hooked up.

My Cars
    01 740il - 06 X5 4.4
    REAR DECK SPEAKERS ARE NOT 6.5" !

They are 5.25" actually a little smaller.... But 5.25" works best

I have a stock enclosure W/ speakers removed in the garage, I'll measure depth for you guys tonight.

Focal makes a nice 5.25 that drops right in.
    I'm a big fan of CDT audio also.

Go with a standard coaxial or 2 way.
    3 ways are component sets that require a crossover network and external tweeter.
    They are not suited for this application.

They call them subs because they are getting the lower "Sub" Frequency from the DSP amp.
    And just have the single driver.
    Last edited by Lexicon740il; 04-10-2008 at 03:44 PM.

01-740il Biarritz Blue - 20" Alpina Softlines - Michelin Pilot Sports - Bilstein H.D.'s - Eibach Pro-Kit Springs - S.S. Quad Tip Magnaflow Exhaust - Strong Strut Brace - Predator Chromium Angel Eyes - Prolumen 6K HID Fogs - L.E.D. Lic. Plate lights - 16:9 Widescreen/MK3 Retrofit - NavTool Video on Nav. interface - Mediagate MG-25 Mediaplayer - Backup Camera - BSW Subwoofer System - Crystal Corners - Stealth Bulbs - Euro one piece armrest - Remote powerfolding mirrors - Cross Drilled Rotors - Ceramic Pads - More to come....

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon740il View Post
    REAR DECK SPEAKERS ARE NOT 6.5" !

They are 5.25" actually a little smaller.... But 5.25" works best

I have a stock enclosure W/ speakers removed in the garage, I'll measure depth for you guys tonight.

Focal makes a nice 5.25 that drops right in.
    I'm a big fan of CDT audio also.

Go with a standard coaxial or 2 way.
    3 ways are component sets that require a crossover network and external tweeter.
    They are not suited for this application.

They call them subs because they are getting the lower "Sub" Frequency from the DSP amp.
    And just have the single driver.
    lexicon, it seems the speaker size may vary with the model/year. it seems to me that pre-2000 7 series has 6.5" speakers & after that year, they are 5.25"?

anyway, what depth do you measure? i got my on some polk 5.25" subs that i think could really give me the sound i want, but the magnet may be too big to fit.

also do you know which focal 5.25" drops right in? & what are their performance specs? what are dims?

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    lexicon, it seems the speaker size may vary with the model/year. it seems to me that pre-2000 7 series has 6.5" speakers & after that year, they are 5.25"?

anyway, what depth do you measure? i got my on some polk 5.25" subs that i think could really give me the sound i want, but the magnet may be too big to fit.

also do you know which focal 5.25" drops right in? & what are their performance specs? what are dims?
    ok just did some checking & it seems the part number for the four subs is 65138352453. here's the description & application:

Factory subwoofer.
    BMW Speaker only for subwoofer box /4 per sub/DSP cars ONLY. This BMW part works for the following BMW models and year ranges: 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 BMW 740i 4DR ( E38 ) BMW 740iL 4DR ( E38 ) BMW 750iL 4DR ( E38 )

so it seems it's not so the much model year that determines if you have four subs on the rear deck as it is dependent on whether you have the factory DSP installed? like what awesomeisluke said, but there is no distinction from what i saw in size. the part numbers are the same for all years. obviously there is a size difference though based on the different responses on here. so what gives??

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    has anyone dropped in something other than 5.25" focals or used 5.25" coax's???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast