Thread: cigarette lighter fuse keeps blowing on me

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323ci

cigarette lighter fuse keeps blowing on me

Hi guys

I recently did a trip from LA to San Jose and in the middle of the long a$$ drive, I noticed that my cigarette lighter no longer gave power to my adaptor for my cell phone. I did some research and checked the fuse. Replace it with a 20A fuse as suggested. The one was clear blown, but I noticed that as soon as I insert the fuse, it blows. This happened 4 times. I bought a pack of 5 fuses and I decided to hold off on the last one and check here.

Does anyone know this could be? What can I do and what can I check for? your help is appreciated!
    Cheers,

Starflight
    2000 323CI Convertible
    It should be a crime to drive a convertible with the top closed.

My Cars
    2002 330xi Ti Silver
    Did you notice that as soon as you plugged your adapter in, it had no power; or did the power fail while your adapter was already plugged in?

You also say that the fuse blows as soon as you install a new one; when it blows, do you having anything plugged into the cig lighter at all?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323ci
    I always had a gps charger plugged on the cigarette lighter since I bought the car used about 10 months ago. I noticed that it always gave it power i used to leave the charger there.

This weekend everything was working normally, then the light on the charger went out. So yes the adaptor was plugged in.

When I replace the fuse, it blows right away whether there is something inside the cigarette lighter or not.
    Cheers,

Starflight
    2000 323CI Convertible

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Could possibly be a short but i would think something is drawing an overload of current to the cig lighter and causing it to blow.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    its about time they came out with an m3 touring wagon..............hoooootttttt

My Cars
    2001 325i

m3 wagon for 2008

its about time
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by emale6 View Post
    its about time they came out with an m3 touring wagon..............hoooootttttt
    Quote Originally Posted by emale6 View Post
    its about time
    Random, your car isn't a M3

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    95 750, 02 330, 05 M
    +1 for the electrical short...also...don't stick a higher current fuse in either...you could very well singe your wire..just thought I say this in case you thought of putting a high one in...
    - Chad Cutter
    1995 750iL - 2002 330Ci - 2005 M3 - 2006 F-150 KR - 1965 Mustang

My Cars
    2002 330xi Ti Silver
    You need to check the cig lighter recepticle and see if it looks like the prongs down in there are bent or screwed up; maybe that is where your "short" is located. I know that is where I would concentrate first.

My Cars
    '11 335is Vert

Shorting Out

You most likely have a short somewhere along the cigarette lighter wiring b/c the fuse blows instantly when plugged in new. Check the wiring and the cigarette lighter housing for loose wiring or other misgivings.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323ci
    Does anyone know how I can access the back of the cigarette wires? steps to remove the center console perhaps?
    Cheers,

Starflight
    2000 323CI Convertible

My Cars
    2001 330i
    pull up your shifter boot cover, turn it 90 deg. unscrew the trim around the shifter which holds the window switches. unplug the wiring. take the trim out. unscrew the cig lighter ash tray and cubby at the bottom of it. and the top of where you took the shifter trim out. pop out the cubby at the top of the unit. unscrew the 2 screws behind it. pull the whole assembly out. check your lighter, use a mulitmeter on the wires to check to continuity between positive and negative. most likely your ciglighter is the problem, use your mulitimeter to check continuity on the ciglighter plug where the wires plug in. i bet its shorted.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323ci
    Thanks for the great posts! It was definitely a short inside the cigi lighter. too bad in figuring that out, the two clips that hold it together was screwed up and now the whole lighter comes out. Wonder what the best way to glue it would be? any recommendations...
    Cheers,

Starflight
    2000 323CI Convertible