Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Car Starter for 328xi

My Cars
    2008 e90

Auto Car Starter for 328xi

Do I need to have the dealer install? Or can I have an outside service do the install? Will this void the warrantee or maintanance program on my lease? Thanks
    Current: 328xi Sedan
    Retired: 2005.5 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT

Deep Green Metallic, Beige leatherette, Light poplar wood trim, Power seats, Sport, Cold weather, Xenons, Auto steptronic, paddle shifters - Blip, blip!

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    I was just into Osprey at the Gallery today looking at alarms for for my 2008 335xi coupe: http://www.automilecartoys.com/ . They are having a special on certain remote starts and alarms.

The Viper 5900 is $399 for just the remote start and another $100 for the alarm. Or alternately $399 for the alarm and another $100 for the remote start. (So $499 if you want both the remote start and the alarm). This is the one with the 1 mile range two way remote. This does not include the tilt sensor which would be another $49. This includes a two level shock sensor. You can add an audio or motion sensor for $75 and $95 respectively. Plus you can add a (very loud, non-ignorable) air horn for another $129.

Here the link to the Viper product page:
    http://www.viper.com/Products/Produc...?ProductID=103

This compares to the price my CA gave me for just the OEM alarm at $598 which has the tilt sensor, but does not have a two-way remote (it just sounds the horn (which everyone ignores)).

I don't want to give up one of my keys to get the remote start so I think I am just going with the alarm, tilt and audio sensors for $525. I could add the remote later. (I don't know if it is that safe to leave a key buried somewhere under the dash.)

My Cars
    2008 e90
    Thanks dude. But will this void warrantee or maintanance program according to BMW???

Deep Green Metallic, Beige leatherette, Light poplar wood trim, Power seats, Sport, Cold weather, Xenons, Auto steptronic, paddle shifters - Blip, blip!

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    This is my first BMW and I am 99.9% sure I am buying, not leasing. If you go with the alarm, they do make a hole for the blue alarm armed LED (where ever you want it on the dash or post) - I would prefer it to have used the OEM clown nose. I don't know how such a light would affect lease turn-in with the alarm if left installed.

If you have a manual, I suppose there may be some concerns as I do not know what mods have to be done to avoid starting it in gear. I am getting an automatic.

If you go to the Viper website it says the remote starter has an anti-grind and a built-in turbo timer so there must be some other concerns with remote starting besides starting manual in gear. I think BMW's with manual transmissions may be difficult to remote start as the clutch needs to be depressed or the sensor fooled into thinking it has.

You need to have someone familiar with lease turn ins answer your question. The website says Jeff at Osprey has 25 years in the automotive business so he might know.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Just throwing my personal opinion here, feel free to ignore it. I find remote starters useless and counter productive. It is much better to pay the $$ to get the heated seats and save gas and be more environmentally friendly by skipping the remote starter. Mind you I now live in a much colder place than my old hometown Boston, miss it much.

P.S. And especially on these cars, I'd be too scared to mess with the electronics for this. You could be buying a Pandora's box.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    Snow White / White Horse Prince
    I will think twice before putting a remote starter in your BMW 2008 E90.

Our cars don't have block heaters so you think that it will not start? Hahah Mine started without too much efforts when parked in -40C for > 8 h. The heated seats heats up in 2 - 3 minutes in -40C weather. The car is a bit sliggish when it's that cold but it warms up quite fast (less than 10 minutes). Keep in mind that a car warms up best when it is being driven. Having your car idling in a stationary position will not only waste gas, harm the environment, and invite thieves to steal your car.

Conclusion: Dress warm and don't waste gas.

My Cars
    328xi
    I also think the auto starter is useless because it heats up so quickly. The fan will not blow until the engine is hot, but before that time your heated seats will be warm. I'm not sure what would be accomplished by having a remote start + prolonged idle.

Takashi, I also feel that the car handles markedly sluggishly when cold. I don't ever think I've noticed this as much as with this car -- it is actually pretty uncanny. It takes about three blocks of suburban driving to return to any approximation of its normal self.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
    Takashi, I also feel that the car handles markedly sluggishly when cold.
    +1, even my e36 did that. Not sure if all cars are the same, but I am guessing it has to do with emissions control, can anyone confirm?
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    I think it has something to do with the air/fuel mixture ratio. I am not sure though.

Neverthess, my old car and my BMW runs very sliggish (especially BMW) when the engine is cold.

My Cars
    2008 e90
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, I was just wondering because alot of people around here I know are like "a car starter is the best in the winter" I guess it doesnt really matter if the car heats up quick.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenThree View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, I was just wondering because alot of people around here I know are like "a car starter is the best in the winter" I guess it doesnt really matter if the car heats up quick.
    There are ways to help a car to heat up quicker.

1. Plug the block heater in. I did some tests with my old car and here are the results
    --> - 30C, Block heater plugged in (8h), key start, no idle -- car warms up in 2 minutes (warm air blowing out of vents).
    --> -30C, no plug, key start (or with remote start), no idle -- warms up in 15 minutes.
    --> -30C, no plug, remote start, 5 min idle -- warms up in 10 minutes.
    --> -30C, Block heater plugged in (8h), remote start, 5 min idle -- warms up in 2 minute with 3 minute of wasted idle time.

2. Dress warm and dress like you expect the car heater might all of a sudden stop working (Oh yes, that has happened to my dad's Mazda Protege... car starts, no heat, no fan, everything else works).

3. Park in a heated garage (at night).

When it's time to leave at work (3:45 PM) there are a mob of people who will walk to the front entrance and point their remote to the car parking lot to start their car, then leave at 4 & walk to the car. Once you remote start your car, all you think of is leave work. What a waste of fuel and energy and decrease in productivity in work not to mention is bad for the environment.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenThree View Post
    They probably don't have heated seats, what a difference those make .
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    So how do the heated seats melt the ice and snow off the windshield and other glass, or warm up the steering wheel?

Because of global warming it does not make sense to winterize and heat my garage since in just a few years now it won't be needed - I'll have to consider air conditioning it instead. Also, I don't think the landlord for my office would add a heated garage even if I asked.

My Cars
    328xi
    Uhh, you're joking, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

The temperature anomaly is less than one degree Celcius. I'd winterize the garage if you are planning to have a frost-free car anytime in your lifetime.

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    Actually because of global warming, not only will I not need to winterize my garage because it will be 100 feet under water as the ocean level rises, but I will be able to get rid of my BMW and get a Hinkley instead. I will be able to get everywhere by boat.

http://www.populartechnology.net/200...l-warming.html

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post
    So how do the heated seats melt the ice and snow off the windshield and other glass, or warm up the steering wheel?
    You wait for the snow/ice to melt? What a waste of gas and environment. Just buy a brush/ice scraper, that what all of us "weird" people do .
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    Actually I was considering the remote start so I wouldn't have to scrape the ice and snow off the primitive way. With a BMW I should be a wee bit more up to date, dontcha think?

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Actually I was considering the remote start so I wouldn't have to scrape the ice and snow off the primitive way. With a BMW I should be a wee bit more up to date, dontcha think?
    I am not environmentalist, but I still think a bit of effort to scrape ice is much better than the pollution created to wait for ice/snow to melt and that will take a long time believe me (15-30 min depending on thickness). In fact since BMW is renowned for its advanced environmental friendly enhancements, it seems to me more up to date and BMW "cool" to get out and spend a minute or 2 scraping the ice. Mind you I live in a much colder, snowier and icier place than my old town Boston, and I hate scraping ice. But hey, whatever suits you. I find it refreshing when a guy in a fancy or expensive car gets out to pump his own gas or clean his own car, just makes you think the car didn't get to their heads, and this is by no means intended as a comment against you, just an observation.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    Disregarding for the moment the effect on the environment, are there any mechanical or electrical concerns to a remote starter?

As for the environment, my usual procedure now is to go out to the (non-BMW) car, start it, go back in the house, wait five minutes for the fan to start blowing warm air on the windshield and the back window defroster to heat up and then go back out and more easily scrape the ice and snow off, rather than having to really chip hard to remove the ice.

What's the difference if I just start it from the warmth and comfort of my house with a remote starter?

If it makes any difference I will be getting a steptronic, without iDrive.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Disregarding for the moment the effect on the environment, are there any mechanical or electrical concerns to a remote starter?
    According to BMW, if they want to be anal, they could void your warranty if you mod anything in the electric system.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    ...my usual procedure now is to go out to the (non-BMW) car, start it, go back in the house, wait five minutes for the fan to start blowing warm air on the windshield and the back window defroster to heat up and then go back out and more easily scrape the ice and snow off, rather than having to really chip hard to remove the ice.
    Ever wonder why cars tend to disappear a bit quicker in Winter? These people leave a running car unattended. It only takes 5 seconds for a thief to steal a car.

Stop being lazy and scrape the ice. It takes me 5 minutes to scape all the ice off my car so it shouldn't take you any longer. You can use the exercise anyway. (Note: I don't and will not start the car until all the windows are cleared even when it's - 30C outside, even if there are passengers inside the car. They are adviced to wait inside a warm building or dress warm)

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    Does starting the car unlock the doors? Can't the car be started and the doors locked and then reopened with another key after it is warmed up? Even though my home and my office are in very safe areas, I wasn't planning to leave it running with the doors unlocked.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    They can still smash the window, get in and drive. Usually autostarters are setup so that if the car is to be driven after being autostarted it will shut down, you'd have to start it normally (I believe if the clutch is engaged or car taken out of PARK in AT then it shuts off). Now I don't know how they would do that with the BMW electronics and software without voiding the warranty. Now if they don't do that at all, you are advised to stay away from an autostarter since the car can be stolen easily and in this case your insurance WILL NOT cover you.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    335xi coupe
    Smash the windows? Geez, where are you from in Boston - I haven't noticed anyone cruising my neighborhoods looking for cars being wamred up to steal. (Must be a Southie thing.)

I would say you must have crappy provincial insurance if it doesn't cover such theft, but I took a look at the 2006-07 OAP1 policy and here are the thefts that are not covered:

"7.2.3 Certain Thefts Not Covered
    We won't pay under either the Comprehensive or Specified Perils coverages for loss or damage caused when a person who lives in your household steals the automobile.
    We also won't pay under these coverages for loss or damage caused when an employee of yours steals the automobile and the employee's duties include driving, maintaining or repairing the automobile. This applies at any time, and not simply during working hours."

This may be for a business auto which is the only thing i am familiar with for my clients, but I should think personal auto would be at least as good

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Smash the windows? Geez, where are you from in Boston - I haven't noticed anyone cruising my neighborhoods looking for cars being wamred up to steal. (Must be a Southie thing.)

I would say you must have crappy provincial insurance if it doesn't cover such theft, but I took a look at the 2006-07 OAP1 policy and here are the thefts that are not covered:

"7.2.3 Certain Thefts Not Covered
    We won't pay under either the Comprehensive or Specified Perils coverages for loss or damage caused when a person who lives in your household steals the automobile.
    We also won't pay under these coverages for loss or damage caused when an employee of yours steals the automobile and the employee's duties include driving, maintaining or repairing the automobile. This applies at any time, and not simply during working hours."

This may be for a business auto which is the only thing i am familiar with for my clients, but I should think personal auto would be at least as good
    They may not state it, but if you leave your keys in your car and it gets stolen, they won't cover it. I'd guess they'd do the same thing if the autostarter didn't shut it off and it was driven off.

Maybe you live in a safe neighbourhood, but what is to say the punk kid next door won't take it for a joy ride. 1st thing you learn when you get a car is never leave it running while unattended, but then it could be just the neighbourhoods I lived in (was in Brighton, Allston, Brookline, Woburn), although I doubt that.
    (more pictures here)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast