Thread: Automatic transmission:the cost of fluid change?

My Cars
    E39,W124

Automatic transmission:the cost of fluid change?

Thinking of transmission fluid change,got couple of quotes,the price range is 450-500$.I was told it's due to the price of oil for the ZF transmissions.Now I found some shop here in regional forums,it has good reviews from local members.Called to get a quote on suspension job and also asked about fluid change.The quote was 150$,80$ if I have my own fluid.
    Something is not right.I remember paying around 200$ for the 528i fluid change and it was 3 years ago and it had a GM transmission.So I'm really confused.
    Any thoughts?

The Ultimate Driving Машин

My Cars
    e39's, e30's, e46's, e53
    The local stealer here wanted $180 to do mine.

Other cars that don't matter, and then..
    '01 530i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather(My 1st love)
    '02 540i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather (German bitch)
    '06 330i Sport/Comfort (Sweetness!)
    '08 535i/6 Sport/Premium/Comfort/Nav ()
    '99 528i Sport Touring (Repaired the Previous owners garbage and let her go)
    '02 525iT Premium/Nav/Cold Weather/Alpine/Supercherry
    '90 325i e30 sedan schwarz (1st e30 project!)
    '90 325is e30
    '06 X5 4.4
    '04 325i Sport
    '04 330ci
    '89 325IX 31k Original Miles!
    '04 330i e46 coupe
    '08 550i Sport
    '13 535i Sport
    '13 328i Luxury
    '88 e30 Stroker

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by russoturristo View Post
    Thinking of transmission fluid change,got couple of quotes,the price range is 450-500$.I was told it's due to the price of oil for the ZF transmissions.Now I found some shop here in regional forums,it has good reviews from local members.Called to get a quote on suspension job and also asked about fluid change.The quote was 150$,80$ if I have my own fluid.
    Something is not right.I remember paying around 200$ for the 528i fluid change and it was 3 years ago and it had a GM transmission.So I'm really confused.
    Any thoughts?
    The dealer usually does not want to touch your tranny.

Especially after their (BMW's) bullsh*t "life-time" fill.

I have talked to dealers in difference locations, and they usually charge around $500 for the service; hooking you car up to the GT-1, a special machine that measures the amount of fluid and the correct temperature.

In my opinion, you are definitely WASTING your money if you go to the dealer.

You can service your tranny for a fraction of the cost.

For DIY's, reference Banker415's on Bimmer Forums and Riro's off of Bimmerfest.com.

Both DIY's are in the DIY section of the forums.

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    Any thoughts?
    When you got your fluid changed in your 528, did you notice any difference? PS where was that picture in your sig taken? HWY 1?

My Cars
    E39,W124
    To Jason5driver:I was quoted 450$ at BMW specializing shop( http://www.eastsidebavarian.com ),500$ at the transmission shop which did the job on my previous 528i,150$ at the shop which does a lot of BMWs(http://www.wwerks.com/)
    To defaz:on the 528 the tranny was shifting pretty hard comparing to my current 530.Also,I was getting CEL once a week.CEL was due some codes about the torque converter.I decided to do the fluid change first before fixing the transmission.The shifts became a bit smoother but the CEL was gone and never came back for 6 months.Later I sold the car.
    Does any one know how much fluid do I need for '03 530i and how much the fluid costs?
    P.S.The picture was taken at San Juan Islands (Orcas Island)

My Cars
    2002 530i BMW supercharg
    Dealer here is asking $26.00 for a liter of this fine BMW ATF Fluid Elixier. Must contain flakes of gold dust or something. Go buy the Esso LT 71141 for 1/2 the price of this BMW wunderstuff for your ZF Tranny. Bought my filter for $21.95 and the gasket for $13.40 from the stealer but did not go for the fluid from them.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    To Jason5driver:I was quoted 450$ at BMW specializing shop( http://www.eastsidebavarian.com ),500$ at the transmission shop which did the job on my previous 528i,150$ at the shop which does a lot of BMWs(http://www.wwerks.com/)
    To defaz:on the 528 the tranny was shifting pretty hard comparing to my current 530.Also,I was getting CEL once a week.CEL was due some codes about the torque converter.I decided to do the fluid change first before fixing the transmission.The shifts became a bit smoother but the CEL was gone and never came back for 6 months.Later I sold the car.
    Does any one know how much fluid do I need for '03 530i and how much the fluid costs?
    P.S.The picture was taken at San Juan Islands (Orcas Island)
    Is you 2003 530i still under warranty?
    CPO?

Please check the green stamp on the bottom of your tranny pan for the BMW part number.

Call the dealer/ (stealer) and reference the part number for a price.
    I believe you will need 12 quarts of ATF.

My BMW part number off the bottom of my tranny came out to approx $15 a quart.

However, I plan on using Amsoil Universal ATF which is approx. $9.00 per quart.

Again, please reference the DIY's I mentioned previously.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260725

If you want to pay $500 for the job, go ahead, I wouldn't - I am NOT.

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    $60 for the fluid
    $20 for the filter & gasket
    $30 or so for the labor.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    2002 530i w/sport
    The ESSO LT fluid runs about $18/qt from BavAuto or Jaggi Import. You can use the VW equivalent, which costs about $13 from a VW dealer. Same stuff.
    You can't replace all the ATF by draining because some remains in the torque converter. You typically drain about 5-6 qts and then refill. Run it for a few miles, then drain again, and refill, replace the filter & gasket and you're done.

My Cars
    E39,W124
    Things getting more interesting: I just called the same shop and talked to a different person.He's one of the owners.The price went up to 250$.He told me the same thing about ESSO and VW fulid but he said he prefers not to use the VW stuff.When I asked him about the 250$ if filter was included,he said-no.
    ....????....I asked why.He said:technicly,the filter is just a mesh to keep big sized garbage out of TC but he sees no problem, of changing it if I want to but according to him it's not really necessary.Is it true?

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    I haven't seen the filter in the BMW but they are normally more than "just mesh". They are truly a filter that gets plugged.

Buy your own fluid and take it to an indy. There are plenty of fluid choices out there.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    528I

Talking Transmission Fluid Change

I got some of the same run-a-round.

I have '98 with life time fluid @#%@%$@##.
    One dealer stuck with the official line.

I found another one they was more realistic and they sold me the oil. (bring your own container). Purchased a filter from Pelican and did it myself.

Mine was way overdue so I plan to go back and change it out as it doesn't all drain out and you only get 50% without a way to flush.
    With over 100K miles I didn't want to shock the system anyway.
    Still running good but feels great to have changed it and clean out the oil pan.

I went back to buy more oil and the price went up like $3 a liter in three months. Dealership getting ready to pay for a new facility......
    Last edited by klark; 02-26-2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: fix

My Cars
    2001 740iL (e38) & 2003 530i (e39)
    Things getting more interesting: I just called the same shop and talked to a different person.He's one of the owners.The price went up to 250$.He told me the same thing about ESSO and VW fulid but he said he prefers not to use the VW stuff.When I asked him about the 250$ if filter was included,he said-no.
    ....????....I asked why.He said:technicly,the filter is just a mesh to keep big sized garbage out of TC but he sees no problem, of changing it if I want to but according to him it's not really necessary.Is it true?
    Find a different indy shop. The filter needs to be changed and the pan should be dropped and cleaned. The bottom of the tranny pan has small magnets which will have some debris stuck to the bottom. The filter will be much darker and should be replaced. Make sure you get an OEM filter (Filtran) because a generic filter will cause problems and the common tranny whine associated with non OEM filters. A good BMW indy will charge about $270 for this service using the Esso LT fluid along with the filter and gasket. A real good indy will hammer (flatten) all the bolt openings on the tranny pan to ensure the gasket seals effectively. Hope this helps.
    2001 740iL (E38) 2003 530i (E39) 2002 Saab 9-3 convertible 1993 Saab 9000 cse 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

My Cars
    540iA-SC-2001
    just went through your posts,
    what is the average milage mark to chenge oil & filter?

My Cars
    2002 530i BMW supercharg
    Will change mine at 50k miles or 2500 miles from now

My Cars
    E39,W124
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercritic2003 View Post
    Find a different indy shop. The filter needs to be changed and the pan should be dropped and cleaned. The bottom of the tranny pan has small magnets which will have some debris stuck to the bottom. The filter will be much darker and should be replaced. Make sure you get an OEM filter (Filtran) because a generic filter will cause problems and the common tranny whine associated with non OEM filters. A good BMW indy will charge about $270 for this service using the Esso LT fluid along with the filter and gasket. A real good indy will hammer (flatten) all the bolt openings on the tranny pan to ensure the gasket seals effectively. Hope this helps.
    Thanks man,that's exactly what I thought

My Cars
    2004 zhp 6MT, 2000 540ia
    Any thoughts?
    Is this the same car you changed ATF 3 years ago? If it is, you said 3 years ago it has GM trans and yet now you referenced ZF trans. The price of ATF for GM and ZF trans has a big difference. I have a ZF trans which uses Esso LT 71141 I believed and paid $14.95/liter at Bavauto a week ago ($31.40/liter at Land Rover dealer and $546/20 liters at BMW dealer). Very easy DIY to change the fluid.