Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reset OIL SERVICE on a Z4??

My Cars
    Z4, 323Ci, 318ti

Reset OIL SERVICE on a Z4??

I ordered a Peake Tools reset tool for my 2003 Z4, the R5/FCX-3-16 for BMWs made after 2001. The correct one arrived. I tried to reset my oil inspection 'countdown' to 25000km. (Canadian mileage..would be equal to U.S. 15000 miles I assume) It would NOT reset. I called Peake. They stated that it will possibly reset ONLY after the full countdown to OIL SERVICE has taken place. so.... How can I reset the countdown BEFORE the full elapse? (I like to change oil more frequently than the factory limit suggests.)
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Paul

My Cars
    Z4, 323Ci, 318ti

OIL change countdown RESET????

I ordered a Peake Tools reset tool for my 2003 Z4, the R5/FCX-3-16 for BMWs made after 2001. The correct one arrived. I tried to reset my oil inspection 'countdown' to 25000km. (Canadian mileage..would be equal to U.S. 15000 miles I assume) It would NOT reset. I called Peake. They stated that it will possibly reset ONLY after the full countdown to OIL SERVICE has taken place. so.... How can I reset the countdown BEFORE the full elapse? (I like to change oil more frequently than the factory limit suggests.)
    Thanks.
    Paul

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 si
    Not sure this will work on a Z, but you can try the following procedure, taken from elsewhere on the forums.

While engine is off, depress & hold the odometer reset button & turn key to position 1 'on.'

Keep button depressed until display shows 'oil service' or 'inspection' w/'reset' or 're', then release

Depress button again until 'reset' or 're' flashes, then release

Depress once more to reset

Haven't tried this myself, but it's worth a shot.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    It works.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    '08 335xi cp, '03 Z4 3.0, '00 Outback Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by aayp170 View Post
    Thanks.
    Paul
    I have the tool also. Just change your oil and ignore the light until it counts down. Why worry about it? I let mine count down to negative numbers and then I reset it. I didn't try resetting while the numbers were still positive. If you're going to change the oil more frequently than the dash counter tells you then you're not paying attention to the dash counter anyway so why worry about what it says?

Quote Originally Posted by Treepusher View Post
    Not sure this will work on a Z, but you can try the following procedure, taken from elsewhere on the forums.

While engine is off, depress & hold the odometer reset button & turn key to position 1 'on.'

Keep button depressed until display shows 'oil service' or 'inspection' w/'reset' or 're', then release

I've tried this. It does not work or I should say it does not work on my car.

My Cars
    Z4 M Roadster
    How much did your Peak tool cost?

My Cars
    Do a search for Peake Research. For some reason, this site won't let me post a link. It's about $150.

My Cars
    no tool needed for anything after 2001-ish.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    no tool needed for anything after 2001-ish.
    Perhaps if you can smell the error codes you don't need a tool. Technically, you can trouble shoot any problem, but a tool sure makes it easier.

If you are saying that you can reset the oil service/service engine soon lights without a tool, please tell me how. I tried the suggested method, but it did not work. I have not found anyone who can confirm from first hand knowledge that there is a way.

Thanks.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i & 2002 325Ci 'vert

Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
    It works.
    This works, but you have to do it several times and experiment with different length button presses to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
    I have the tool also. Just change your oil and ignore the light until it counts down. Why worry about it? I let mine count down to negative numbers and then I reset it. I didn't try resetting while the numbers were still positive. If you're going to change the oil more frequently than the dash counter tells you then you're not paying attention to the dash counter anyway so why worry about what it says?
    Exactly what I do. Change the oil around 7500-8000 miles remaining on counter then again at 0 and reset.
    In the driveway:
    (German invasion)
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i M6 daily driver
    2002 BMW 325Ci Convertible A5
    (American pride)
    2005 Pontiac GTO M6 Supercharged 487RWHP/490RWTQ *SOLD*
    2005 GMC Canyon CrewCab

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4inTheDriveway View Post
    This works, but you have to do it several times and experiment with different length button presses to get it right.
    Really? It just switches between oil change and inspection (since the interval changes between oil service and inspection alternately). Only thing is that once you "reset" it you'll need to drive for like 5 minutes before you can reset it again.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    [quote=Z4inTheDriveway;12262330]This works, but you have to do it several times and experiment with different length button presses to get it right.

Have you actually successfully done this yourself or was this something your sister's nephew's first cousin's mechanic says works?

I'm not try to be a smart arse. I tried it three times without success on my car. And like I said, I've yet to hear of anyone who ever successfully did this.

It just seems very strange that the engineers went through the trouble of developing a system to allow the DIYer a free method to reset the lights, but purposely made it frustrating and hit-or-miss just to make it suitable only for the really dedicated.

Why would there be a such a system? What purpose would it serve? I mean, any self respecting mechanic would own a reset tool/code reader. Certainly any BMW mechanic would own one. Who would be served by a push button system that only works with the magic touch and the secret handshake?

My Cars
    330Ci / Z4 3.0i
    This works, but i used instructions from a previous thread.
    ...the only difference is when the reset light flashes you press S/R again but only breifly instead of holding it. Did the trick.

My Cars
    [quote=JohnnyQuest;12266807]
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4inTheDriveway View Post

Have you actually successfully done this yourself or was this something your sister's nephew's first cousin's mechanic says works?

I'm not try to be a smart arse. I tried it three times without success on my car. And like I said, I've yet to hear of anyone who ever successfully did this.

It just seems very strange that the engineers went through the trouble of developing a system to allow the DIYer a free method to reset the lights, but purposely made it frustrating and hit-or-miss just to make it suitable only for the really dedicated.

Why would there be a such a system? What purpose would it serve? I mean, any self respecting mechanic would own a reset tool/code reader. Certainly any BMW mechanic would own one. Who would be served by a push button system that only works with the magic touch and the secret handshake?
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=18

My Cars
    2004 Bmw Z4
    It works. I have done it on my car. The only problem is that now it says Inspection Serv. Instead of Oil Service. And I can't figure out how to get it back to saying oil service.

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    It's saying inspection service because that is next on the timeline. Just reset the inspection if you want it to say oil.

My Cars
    E85 Z4M, E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by buddrinker View Post
    It works. I have done it on my car. The only problem is that now it says Inspection Serv. Instead of Oil Service. And I can't figure out how to get it back to saying oil service.
    If the service schedule is now out of sync with the service indicator, it can be advanced every 50km or so to the next of the 4 possible positions (Oil service - Inspection I - Oil Service - Inspection II), by doing additional resets.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by buddrinker View Post
    The display alternates between the two, so if you reset an "oil Service", "inspection" is the next service to show up. And when you seset it next time, it'll say "oil service" again.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2004 Bmw Z4
    Thanks. Will give that a try. Didn't mean to hijack the original post thou. Hope he got his answer.

My Cars
    04 Oxford Green 530i SMG

Granted this thread is over a year old now, I just wanted to let others know that this works FLAWLESSLY. I just reset the service indicator reading on my Z4 and my old E46 325i.
    2004 Oxford Green 530i SMG

My Cars
    Z4 2.5 sport, 2003
    I'm genuinely amazed...it worked.

The Stealership wanted £280 to change the oil, filter and air filter....yeah right

Quite happy for the local garage to do an oil change but they couldn't reset the service indicator so I gave this a shot...and it worked

[condensed from a linked post] -
    Press left button, turn ignition to '1'
    Press and hold left button for 5 secs

Release button, press again and hold for 5 secs
    "Reset" starts to flash
    Release button, press button, release button.....DONE

I'm now taking the Zed for a £75 oil change

My Cars
    BMW Z4

Thanks

I have a 03 Z4. Tried the code and it worked. Had to play with it to figure out the press and hold. But after I got the reset flashing it worked. Thanks.
    Keith

My Cars
    03' Z4 roadster
    This thread rules, I just tried it.......worked great!

Thanks Bimmerforums.

My Cars
    2003 Z4,2002 Jeep TJ

Worked on my 2003 Z4. Thanx

My Cars
    2005 Z4 3.0i
    Still won't work on my 2005. I can get it to the flashing "reset" condition, but no matter whether I press/release or press/hold/release it still just stays at 1450 miles until oil change is due. Is '05 an exception to this method?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast