Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Xenon low beam bulbs!! How?

My Cars
    2003 540i

Changing Xenon low beam bulbs!! How?

E39 Xenon Bulb replacement
    I've got a 2003 540i the problem is the low beam drivers side light turned pink and died. Can the Xenon bulbs just be replaced or is there a lot more to it? I can't see how these are held in place once the wiring is removed from the light. I'm hoping it's not a case of removing the whole headlight assembly to access it from the front. Is there any advice out there?

My Cars
    E36 325is
    I believe you can just remove the bulb from the rear of the assembly and disconnect the wire from the ballast to get the bulb free. I don't have oem Hella housings w/ xenon, but Im sure it's not hard to do. Try twisting the rear of bulb to the left? Someone who has these lights will be able to help you better. GL

My Cars
    '91 318ic, 2003 525i

halo bulb replacement

I am also having a problem removing the low beam bulb on a E39 with halo. I turn the bulb housing to the left (per manual instuctions), and the wiring housing comes lose, but not the bulb. The bulb is surrounded by a large rubber seal. How does the bulb come out?

My Cars
    2009 C350
    The rubber seal can be pulled off carefully. It's just slipped on there. Then you'll need either a 2mm or 3mm torx bit to get the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the bulb in place, then just slide the bulb out.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    This is from the 2003 manual...Seems like it might be missing some info.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 02-24-2009 at 01:46 PM.

My Cars
    92 E34 535i; 02 E39 M5
    You don't need any tools to remove the bulb. After you get the wires off, and the rubber boot, there is a black ring that locks the bulb in place. Turn this ring counter clockwise to unlock, then slide the bulb out.

It's hard to see back there, you probably have to do most of it by touch.

My Cars
    E39,W124
    It was a bitch for me when I changed mine.The owner's manual is definitely missing some info.Plus,this black ring or the thread it goes onto was misshaped,like slightly melted on both headlights.So,the easiest way for me was to take the headlight assembly out.It's really easy,just 3 screws if I'm not mistaken.My suggestion is to change the high beams at the same time also,'cause when I changed my lows the next day one of my highs went out.So,I had to redo the same thing twice.
    P.S.
    Has anyone tried to change the rear license plate lights? That's a major
    Last edited by russoturristo; 02-24-2009 at 02:22 PM.

The Ultimate Driving Машин

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
    You don't need any tools to remove the bulb. After you get the wires off, and the rubber boot, there is a black ring that locks the bulb in place. Turn this ring counter clockwise to unlock, then slide the bulb out.

He's got D2S Xenon bulbs. Not twist offs H7 or 9006/5.

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipsa View Post
    The rubber seal can be pulled off carefully. It's just slipped on there. Then you'll need either a 2mm or 3mm torx bit to get the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the bulb in place, then just slide the bulb out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamite View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vipsa View Post
    He's got D2S Xenon bulbs. Not twist offs H7 or 9006/5.
    When BMW changed the headlights for the 2001 face lift, they changed the procedure to remove the retaining ring for the D2S bulbs. Vipsa, looks like you have a 2000 528i. I have one too, and it came with the OEM xenon option, with D2S bulbs. I upgraded to 2003 xenon angel eyes, also with D2S bulbs. Both versions use a black plastic retaining ring to hold in the D2S bulb. Now I'm not sure which is which, but one version uses Torx bits to hold the ring, and on the other version one needs to simply twist the ring counter clockwise. You and Gamite are both correct, but based on the dialog I think that a 1996-2000 e39 with OEM xenons has the Torx screws holding the retaining ring, and a face lifted 2001-2003 e39 with OEM xenons has a twist-off retaining ring. Given that the OP, flogger, has a 2003 540i he would NOT need any tools. This information is omitted from the Owner's Manual because, ostensibly, BMW thought this procedure was too difficult and recommended professional service to change a low beam bulb.

As for extra help, after removing the wiring to the back of the D2S bulb, the rubber boot needs to be removed. It's easiest to grab the boot at the base where the diameter is the largest and carefully go around the periphery, slowly turning the boot inside-out. When it's inside-out the smaller diameter portion of the boot can be squeezed out of the hold in the back of the headlight assembly, revealing the retaining ring.

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    When BMW changed the headlights for the 2001 face lift, they changed the procedure to remove the retaining ring for the D2S bulbs. Vipsa, looks like you have a 2000 528i. I have one too, and it came with the OEM xenon option, with D2S bulbs. I upgraded to 2003 xenon angel eyes, also with D2S bulbs. Both versions use a black plastic retaining ring to hold in the D2S bulb. Now I'm not sure which is which, but one version uses Torx bits to hold the ring, and on the other version one needs to simply twist the ring counter clockwise. You and Gamite are both correct, but based on the dialog I think that a 1996-2000 e39 with OEM xenons has the Torx screws holding the retaining ring, and a face lifted 2001-2003 e39 with OEM xenons has a twist-off retaining ring. Given that the OP, flogger, has a 2003 540i he would NOT need any tools. This information is omitted from the Owner's Manual because, ostensibly, BMW thought this procedure was too difficult and recommended professional service to change a low beam bulb.

As for extra help, after removing the wiring to the back of the D2S bulb, the rubber boot needs to be removed. It's easiest to grab the boot at the base where the diameter is the largest and carefully go around the periphery, slowly turning the boot inside-out. When it's inside-out the smaller diameter portion of the boot can be squeezed out of the hold in the back of the headlight assembly, revealing the retaining ring.
    Good info. Didn't know they changed the design of the retaining clip on the facelifted lights. My fault.

My Cars
    92 E34 535i; 02 E39 M5
    Yea me either, didn't realize pre-facelift was different. That must freakin suck, having to get tools back there.

My Cars
    01' 525i; 98' Camry
    Quote Originally Posted by russoturristo View Post
    P.S.
    Has anyone tried to change the rear license plate lights? That's a major
    I feel your pain. I just spent $25 to get two new housings. It took me two days to remove because the instructions in the manual are wrong!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '00 M5, '98 M3
    Be careful as well!

The fragile plastic headlamp adjusters can be broken easily if you aggressively torque the bulb housing and therefore the attached projector housing.

I have some pictures of the assembly on my desktop that could illustrate what is all in there, I took pictures when I was replacing the headlamp adjusters with aluminum ones to help others out.

Removal of the headlamp from the vehicle is not required. As others have said, first remove the thick cable that attaches the ballast to the bulb, then remove the rubber seal that surrounds the bulb and retainer clip.

The following are the photographs with captions included that should assist in illustrating how to change the xenon headlamp bulb after the rubber seal has been removed;

Hopefully this helps illustrate how to change the xenon bulb without damaging your headlamps! Take care.
    Last edited by GMT400Tahoe; 02-25-2009 at 02:30 AM.

2000 BMW M5 (titanium silver metallic)| 1998 BMW M3 sedan (titanium silver metallic) | 2001 BMW 740i sport (titanium silver metallic) | 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 (victory red) | 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 LS (medium charcoal gray metallic) | 1998 AM General Hummer HMCO (competition yellow)

My Cars
    See Sig
    Great advice, JsnChristianson! I just did this...and the retainer clip was probably the hardest part of getting it back on.

1. Disconnect the negative battery connection
    2. Turn the ballast wire (big one with the "high voltage" mark on it)
    3. Take off rubber protective boot. Outer first, inner last.
    4. Take off retainer clip counter clock-wise.
    5. Remove HID Xenon bulb.

Install in reverse. I found it helpful to tick the retainer clip and housing with a wax pencil to make reinstallation of the retainer easier...then I just wiped it off before putting the rubber boot back on.

I worried a bit about doing this because of the warning stickers and the owner's manual telling you not to even attempt the job. This info was extremely helpful for someone who doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg at the dealership. Thanks again for the info!
    '03 E39 2.5-Black Sapphire 64K
    '94 FD RX7 R2-VR Bone Stock 37K
    '05 TJ Rubicon-Pat. Blue 36K

My Cars
    2006 330i sport/prem
    Why did you disconnetct your battery? There isn't any juice going to that ballast with the car turned off. It isn't necessary.

I need to replace my D2S bulbs too. I noticed after installing my metal headlight adjusters and getting my headlights properly adjusted, my driver's side has a pinkish hue to it and the passneger side doesn't.

My Cars
    MB E350, Acura TSX
    Thanks for the instructions... The body shop my mom went to didn't install her right xenon correctly... grrrr... They just put all the pieces loosely together and didn't bother to align tabs, and ensure that everything was securely installed...

Better to fix it right myself :P

My Cars
    2003 525i wagon

installing bulb

I'm heading for my garage at 5, to install the low beam, drivers side bulb. Thanks for all the tips here, because yes, my 03 manual seems to be missing quite a few steps... hopefully all will go well this evening.

My Cars
    2011 335d
    I can't get that retainer clip to come off.

It'll twist a tiny bit (few degrees) but nothing significantly. Is it supposed to just be a CCW twist, or do those 3 tabs need to be pulled back or something else like that.

Note: from what I can see, it looks fairly normal, as oppsed to something being all melted together.

My Cars
    04-330Cic zhp; 09-Mini S

ballast question

Have an intermittent problem with my passanger side Xenon headlight. Sometimes it will not fire up unless I turn the parking lights on for 10-20 seconds and then turn the headlights on. Think it must be the ballast? Is it hard/expensive to replace? Drivers headlight always comes on. 2003-530I

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i Sedan
    These instructions have truly been helpful. I have a 2003 540 and I was able to change the low beam in less than a half hour. Thanks all!

My Cars
    02 540iT,03 525iT,90 MX5

clip removal

Quote Originally Posted by MunichMobile View Post
    I can't get that retainer clip to come off.

It'll twist a tiny bit (few degrees) but nothing significantly. Is it supposed to just be a CCW twist, or do those 3 tabs need to be pulled back or something else like that.

Note: from what I can see, it looks fairly normal, as oppsed to something being all melted together.
    i too have the same question. the clip won't twist CCW. do i need to do anything to the 3 tabs?

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by slantyboy View Post
    i too have the same question. the clip won't twist CCW. do i need to do anything to the 3 tabs?
    Mine just twisted CCW & it came off. I had my headlight on a workbench so maybe it was easier for me.

BTW, it's only 4 8mm screws (if I remember correctly) to loosen the headlights. Then, just unplug the wire connectors & it slides out very easily. That might make it easier to replace the Xenon bulb with it on your workbench, and less likely to twist it to much.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    02 540iT,03 525iT,90 MX5
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    Mine just twisted CCW & it came off. I had my headlight on a workbench so maybe it was easier for me.

BTW, it's only 4 8mm screws (if I remember correctly) to loosen the headlights. Then, just unplug the wire connectors & it slides out very easily. That might make it easier to replace the Xenon bulb with it on your workbench, and less likely to twist it to much.
    thanks, i got it off finally. just steady CCW pressure. i was a bit timid because the adjusters are original and the twisting puts additional strain on them. thanks

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Congrats! That's a fine line between twisting it just enough to get it off, and twisting it to much. Plastic gets sooooo brittle.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    BMW 530d Touring Sport (E39)

Broken retaining clip

Hi all,

just removed my xenon bulbs, but the retaining clips were so stuck that I've damaged them whilst trying to loosen them. Any idea where I could get some replacements?
    I don't seam to find them in Europe. Also I have read somewhere that there are some after market ones made out of aluminium and much stronger than the OEM's.

Thanks for you help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast