Thread: Does your e39 have a wind noise around the the windshield or dash?

My Cars
    2008 M3, 1998 540i6

Does your e39 have a wind noise around the the windshield or dash?

To everyone that has some sort of wind noise around your windshield or dash, the fix might be easier than you think. It does not involve new door weather stripping or a new seal around the windshield.

instead, make sure that your jack lift pads on all 4 corners of your car are not missing and securely in place. If you are missing any of these lift pads, it causes air to tunnel up into the chassis and go all the way up the a,b,c pillars and cause a loud wind noise.

I hit a horrendous speed bump with my lowered 5 and afterward, i would get a loud wind noise when going anything over 40mph. I thought I had bent the chassis enough to cause a leak. I knew that was basically impossible but I couldn't figure out what else it could be.

After looking under the car and seeing a lift pad missing, i replaced it and damn, no more wind noise on the drive home.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ^^^^^ditto ^^^^^

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by John 540i6 View Post
    To everyone that has some sort of wind noise around your windshield or dash, the fix might be easier than you think. It does not involve new door weather stripping or a new seal around the windshield.

instead, make sure that your jack lift pads on all 4 corners of your car are not missing and securely in place. If you are missing any of these lift pads, it causes air to tunnel up into the chassis and go all the way up the a,b,c pillars and cause a loud wind noise.

I hit a horrendous speed bump with my lowered 5 and afterward, i would get a loud wind noise when going anything over 40mph. I thought I had bent the chassis enough to cause a leak. I knew that was basically impossible but I couldn't figure out what else it could be.

After looking under the car and seeing a lift pad missing, i replaced it and damn, no more wind noise on the drive home.
    Where have you been John?

My Cars
    '01 530i,'90 Miata
    I need to check that out. I hear noise around my drivers window/door. Hmm!

'01 530i Sport(RED)
    '90 Miata(work car)

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    I hear wind noises, yet, all my lift pads are in place.

My Cars
    E39540i E60535 F10535i
    This noise can also be caused by a windshield seal. But most of the time this is caused by the missing jack pads.
    The Harder I work, the better I live!

My Cars
    02 530i
    Nice find!

My Cars
    540i and a 92 eg hatch
    ill see whats up

My Cars
    1997 540iA
    I have some wind noise at higher speeds, almost sounds like a whistle or whine coming from the wipers.. I think. I know I have the front 2 jack pads, I'll see if I have the rear ones.

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    Add to the DIY / FAQ?
    Rules to live by:
    - Fast, reliable, cheap. You can only have two.
    - Do it right, or do it twice.
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

My Cars
    540i and a 92 eg hatch
    anyone have a picture of what its supposed to look like wih the jack pads on? idk

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    It's kinda hard to not see them ...they are rubber pads located under the car either in front of or behind the tire where you jack the car up.

The underside of the rocker panel is pretty much a given as to what it looks like...the jack pads will either be round or square (depending on model year)...pretty much as identifiable as a plate setting on a table...or if the rubber blades where missing from your windshield wipers. If the jackpad fell out...there will be an empty hole...if its there...its' there.

See item #12 in diagram below: BMW part # 51 71 7 001 650

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-11-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2008 M3, 1998 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSapphire View Post
    Where have you been John?
    I have not been on the boards lately. Ive been working 62 hours a week and I just have not had too much time to browse the boards. Im still here and still crazy about my silver money pit. Ill be doing a clutch, power steering pump and exhaust here in the next few weeks.... yay

My Cars
    E39 530i, E91 318i
    Great information guys, thank you for the thread.

I have replaced the windshield seal to no avail. I'm not missing any pads but the 2 fronts are in bad condition; quite loose and are flaking off. I've ordered 4 and hopefully they will solve the problem.

Thanks again.