Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: M60/M62/S62 Turbo - Who want's it bad enough?

My Cars
    2001 540iA

M60/M62/S62 Turbo - Who want's it bad enough?

I've been well aware of the 1999-2001 Bentley Arnage Green Label running a Cosworth-BMW twin turbo 4.4 L M62 engine for quite a while. I researched this several years ago, but came up frustrated when I couldn't find specs anywhere.

Well, I took another SWAG at this a few nights back and came up with considerably more information.

First, the 1999 Bentley Arnage had two Honeywell-Garrett GT1752S. The Bentley part numbers for these turbos are:

PB20321PH - Right hand turbo/manifold. BMW engine.
    PB20320PH - Left hand turbo/manifold. BMW engine.

The Garrett turbo code on these turbos is:

452238-0003
    452237-0003

The Bentley turbo part number appears to be a turbo/manifold combination from a number of sources. I have gotten pricing on these turbo/manifold combos through some speciality classic restoration shops. We're looking at around $2,500 for a single manifold/turbo combo. Unfortunatley, the passenger side (right) manifold is more difficult to obtain.

After a full week, I have been unable to get a single photo or diagram of the manifold/turbo to ensure so much as rough fitment possibilities. I have not gotten desperate enough to purchase the manifold for the purposes of measurements (and mouldings should a fit be eminent).

Maybe someone can leverage these data points for a future build. Or, more likely, the M60/M62/S62 will remain virgin V8s never seeing the world of BIG BOOST save unlikely HPF S62 TT .

My Cars
    BMWs
    GT17 hehe

Might be better off with some K03 action

My Cars
    2001 540iA
    too bad one can't just grab the manifold for cheap. at least it appears that one can obtain a mani. fitment remains to be seen. now who's got 2k to spare for this????

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Any reason why Jon V./666 Fab can't weld some up?
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    Turbo VTR1000F
    My slushboxed nikasil E34 530i is about to die and is a organ donor for future FI project, but I need a lot of machinery to make all those custom parts I need to build it the way I want, the potential of the engine is awesome, but it's plagued by very few aftermarket parts.
    Either you pay custom made stuff or you machine stuff from scratch or from other existing parts, time consuming...yes.
    But IMO a screaming V8 is just too addictive.

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Those manifolds are designed for the Bently engine bay, rather than the E39 or E34 bay. Considering the size difference in the cars, they probably wouldn't clear.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    someone needs to do it

My Cars
    2001 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by xatlas0 View Post
    Those manifolds are designed for the Bently engine bay, rather than the E39 or E34 bay. Considering the size difference in the cars, they probably wouldn't clear.
    and since it's damn near impossible to get pics, diagrams or dimensions ANYWHERE, the only way to really know is to buy one and try it. i have found a source for $2500/each... turbo and manifold!!!

My Cars
    Looking......

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    I am just going to throw a whipple on top of my M62 and call it a day.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by BigM62 View Post
    You're about the 3rd person to say that... nobody ever finishes though.

All I can say is... DO IT!
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Why not just make a simple log manifold with a T25 flange and put two GT2560Rs or two GT2860Rs depending on your budget.

It should be very possible to fit that turbo up close to the block with a log mani, and two GT2560Rs would cost about $1.4k brand new and support about 550-600 rwhp and the compressors actually fit the M62 engine very well.

Internal wastegate, so no worries about packaging an external(or having to buy one), and you only need 2.5" intake tubes and 2" compressor outlet tubes, so relatively easy to package. Then blow through MAF and some sort of tuning. Shouldn't be too hard to crack the DME of an E34, so maybe some 36 lb/hr injectors.

It would be a pretty involved project, but I don't think it has any steps I'd call "impossible."

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Why not just make a simple log manifold with a T25 flange and put two GT2560Rs or two GT2860Rs depending on your budget.

It should be very possible to fit that turbo up close to the block with a log mani, and two GT2560Rs would cost about $1.4k brand new and support about 550-600 rwhp and the compressors actually fit the M62 engine very well.

Internal wastegate, so no worries about packaging an external(or having to buy one), and you only need 2.5" intake tubes and 2" compressor outlet tubes, so relatively easy to package. Then blow through MAF and some sort of tuning. Shouldn't be too hard to crack the DME of an E34, so maybe some 36 lb/hr injectors.

It would be a pretty involved project, but I don't think it has any steps I'd call "impossible."
    Need a donor 540i/6?

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuasha View Post
    You're about the 3rd person to say that... nobody ever finishes though.

All I can say is... DO IT!
    How about if gotpsi fabs up a mani/aftercooler for the whipple?

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    2001 540iA
    it's the closest thing i've seen to a turbo manifold for the e34/e39. maybe someone can fab one for less than 2500? problem is that nobody wants to drop 2500 test fitting parts.

My Cars
    97 M3 99 Z3M
    I offered to make a TS kit for M60/M62, but can't find any local people who have a blown V8 that I can use for mock up purposes. I'd pretty much design the kit for free, and if the person who was interested wanted to pursue the project, they would just have to pay for materials/machining/parts costs.

In essence, the hardware is the easy part. The hard part is going to be finding someone who can tune it.

Regards,
    Joe
    1997 M3
    1999 Z3 M Coupe - Turbocharged

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVANT123 View Post
    I offered to make a TS kit for M60/M62, but can't find any local people who have a blown V8 that I can use for mock up purposes. I'd pretty much design the kit for free, and if the person who was interested wanted to pursue the project, they would just have to pay for materials/machining/parts costs.

In essence, the hardware is the easy part. The hard part is going to be finding someone who can tune it.

Regards,
    Joe
    Tuning is the easy part for me.I have an obd1 M62 and have a tuner(034 Motorsport) who can burn me a new custom chip(street+Mustang dyno) for $600.The main deal is the fabing of the mani/aftercooler.Sorry to hijack a turbo thread.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    97 M3 99 Z3M
    Tuning is the easy part for me.I have an obd1 M62 and have a tuner(034 Motorsport) who can burn me a new custom chip(street+Mustang dyno) for $600.The main deal is the fabing of the mani/aftercooler.Sorry to hijack a turbo thread.
    Now, just find me a blown V8 that I can use for mock up.
    1997 M3

My Cars
    530i E60
    Does it have to be in the car. The shop swaping my motor this week has one lying a round and when i go tomorrow i will ask them about it.
    Let me know. However, if they have one will you pay for shipping to you?

Rito

530i E60 Wizard of Nos Nitrous System/STS Rear Mounted Custom Turbo(PSI_unknown)

My Cars
    02M5
    we, aceperformancesystems.com, are working on a kits for M60/62/Tu, and N62/62Tu as we speak.

Probably see some more solid information about it around the end of this year realistically.

Intercooled twinscrew
    --npavlo

My Cars
    97 M3 99 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by ritoab View Post
    Does it have to be in the car. The shop swaping my motor this week has one lying a round and when i go tomorrow i will ask them about it.
    Let me know. However, if they have one will you pay for shipping to you?

Rito
    For initial design purposes, no, I don't need a car. But eventually I'll need a local person who would be willing to beta test the kit. If they have a blown/damaged engine they'd be willing to let go for free, I'd definitely consider paying shipping.

Regards,
    Joe
    1997 M3

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Need a donor 540i/6?
    hah - I'm not wanting to do one, but I helped a friend who wanted to waste my time with his "dreams" of going FI on his E39 540i/6.

If you mounted the turbos up high enough it looks like you could even use gravity for the oil drain and not a pump.

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico5spd View Post
    we, aceperformancesystems.com, are working on a kits for M60/62/Tu, and N62/62Tu as we speak.

Probably see some more solid information about it around the end of this year realistically.

Intercooled twinscrew
    Very interesting.Could you please inform us who Ace Performance is.I checked the website,but found little info about products or personnel.Thanks
    Last edited by BigM62; 02-11-2008 at 03:35 PM.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    What a great debate: turbo M62 vs. T/S M62!.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    M3-T,G63,S63,Huracan-Evo
    Go for the twin screw. The boost with my whipple is basically instant.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast