Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP: Trunk is stuck and won't unlock/open

My Cars
    1997 328i

Exclamation PLEASE HELP: Trunk is stuck and won't unlock/open

I've got a 1997 BMW 328i and the the trunk suddenly won't unlock. Does anyone have any ideas how to get it to work?

When I try to unlock it (using the key in the trunk and in the doors), the power door locks will unlock but the trunk will not.

If I can't get it to unlock, is there another way to get into the trunk? Can the back seats be removed from inside the car?

I just bought groceries and they're stuck in the back (including lots of frozen stuff).

My Cars
    Many in the worshop.
    Bet u wish u had folding rear seats! have u tryed wiggling the key around while trying to open it?
    The church is close, but the road is icy, The pub is far, but i will walk carefully

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yeah, I've tried that, and I'm about to go try some more.

I have the chrome push button on the trunk. I can put the key in and turn it both ways to unlock and lock the doors, but apparently the the trunk lock isn't responding like the doors. When I push the button to open the trunk there is no resistance at all, so it seems the lock isn't unlocking.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Try turning the key to the right and holding it there - then Push!

My button has a mind of its own.. it doesnt lock/unlock the other doors.. and has to be opened manually. I have to turn off my car to unlock my trunk!

p.s. Do the ski-pass mod (it involves knocking out the metal plate behind your armrest)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yeah, tried that too. Still not working. Man, this is frustrating!

Anyone know how to get through the trunk through the back seat?

My back seat is one solid piece across the back. It does not have an arm rest. I got the lower seat out but now it's getting dark and I can't see a way to get the upper (back rest) part of the seat out. Any pointers would be appreciated!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Nevermind getting the back seat out: I found that in another thread, got the seat out, and found out that there's no way to access the trunk even with the seat out; it's completely separated by a metal wall!!

Back to trying to find out some back-up way to get the trunk open when the lock/latch fails. I'm gonna keep trying; if anyone stumbles across this thread and has some helpful advice, I'd appreciate it!

My Cars
    97 328i 5-speed alpine white/black

murphys law

As if it wasnt bad enough that you cant open the trunk anymore, it has to be after putting a bunch of frozen food in the back. Could be worse though, you could have stuck a body in there

My Cars
    '92 3.25i
    that sucks raamses, bump for a brother in need

My Cars
    '97 328i Sedan

Talking

Drill lock, remove lock, take food out of trunk, replace old lock with new one .

My Cars
    98 323 vrt, g37 vrt
    Ok - if this is a vert this happens when the top is not fully lowered or raised or if the indicator switch for same is stuck. If not then I don't have any helpful ideas.

Peter

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Thanks for the help everyone. There's not much I can do so I guess I have to take it in to the shop today.

I'm slightly paranoid about drilling out the lock because I've never done that type of work before and I don't want to do irreparable damage. I'll check for a DIY but one probably doesn't exist for that. I'd hate to drill it and then not be able to remove it, or drill through something vitally important.

Guess I gotta pay some money to "the man" to fix her up!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    And, btw, it's not a convertable. I wish that fix would work though!

My Cars
    bmw 323i 1996 e36
    hey raamses..

i know what ur going throgh, believe me.. the same happened to me. I have a 323i 96 all of sudden the boot lock didnt open!!

i tell u, ur probably going to get a big suprise as to how much the new boot lid lock actually costs.

because it is the first of its kind, it's called a EWS BOOT LID LOCK which apparently was new security technology in 1996 and first used then on e36's.

Anyways i was quoted $400 (AUD) for the part and $200 (AUD) for labour!!!!!
    I hope u find another way around it!! groceries in the boot is a shame, luckily mine was empty at the time.

goodluck.

96 323i
    Hankook K104
    Tint
    Clear indicators

My Cars
    civic si, m50nv
    well you can take your back seat out and punch the center of the metal wall with a hammer and it will come off, its just spot welded in 4 places from the factory, this would allow you to get all the stuff out for the time being
    - Keith

oh wait...I own an e36!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Thanks peeps (yes, I said peeps). I ended up taking it to the dealership. They had to drill a hole through the trunk lid (behind the license plate) just to get the thing unlocked. Then all they had to do was re-attach the linkage which apparently came loose from its assembly!! Even though it probably only took them about 15 minutes to fix, it was still expensive!!

I'm not sure if it would've been cheaper for me to drill out the lock and replace the whole thing myself, but at least this way I got the groceries out before they left a permanent smell in the trunk!!

My Cars
    '97 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by raamses View Post
    Thanks peeps (yes, I said peeps). I ended up taking it to the dealership. They had to drill a hole through the trunk lid (behind the license plate) just to get the thing unlocked. Then all they had to do was re-attach the linkage which apparently came loose from its assembly!! Even though it probably only took them about 15 minutes to fix, it was still expensive!!

I'm not sure if it would've been cheaper for me to drill out the lock and replace the whole thing myself, but at least this way I got the groceries out before they left a permanent smell in the trunk!!
    How expensive?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    It cost $120. To me, that's pretty expensive just for re-attaching the linkage.

My Cars
    '92 3.25i
    could have been worse, glad she's back home

My Cars
    '97 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by raamses View Post
    It cost $120. To me, that's pretty expensive just for re-attaching the linkage.
    I agree.

My Cars
    96' 328i
    I posted the same issue last night. I have the fold down seats so its not a really big problem. What can I do to get the damn trunk open? Any more options since I can access the inside of trunk?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
    I posted the same issue last night. I have the fold down seats so its not a really big problem. What can I do to get the damn trunk open? Any more options since I can access the inside of trunk?
    I wish I could help you out. There may be a way to open it from the inside (maybe a way to pop the locking mechanism open), but I don't know it.

If you can fit in there with a light to see what you're doing, you might be able to look around or maybe even take the carpet/covering off of the inside of the trunk lid right there near the lock and get to the linkage; I don't know for sure though. The mechanic had to drill a hole through the outside of my trunk to get right to that area. Godspeed bro!

My Cars
    1999 323is
    any idea about fixing the linkage.

I have folding rear seats, and can get in the trunk. I am tempted to unbolt the latch and hope that works. Any thing bad about doing that?

My Cars
    Many in the worshop.
    If you can get in the trunk/boot then remove the plastic panel from inside and then have a look at the mechanism, you should be able to work out how to open it from here.
    The church is close, but the road is icy, The pub is far, but i will walk carefully

My Cars
    1999 323is
    So, I was able to get the trunk open. Now I am trying to figure out how to fix it. A small metal peice fell out, and I am not sure where it goes. It has a round top with slots on two sides, and a stem sticking out the back. Any ideas

Pics to come

My Cars
    BMW e36
    Quote Originally Posted by AuburnGrad323is View Post
    So, I was able to get the trunk open. Now I am trying to figure out how to fix it. A small metal peice fell out, and I am not sure where it goes. It has a round top with slots on two sides, and a stem sticking out the back. Any ideas

Pics to come

Can you please describe how did you manage to open trunk lid from inside?
    I have the same problem, I'm have remove sits and I have ski hole.. and now I don't know how to open trunk lid. Pleeaassee help. Pics are welcome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast