Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Leak from roof

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328i

Water Leak from roof

I am unhappy to admit that this weekend it rained really hard here and I have a water leak..

The leak is showing up on the inside of the car on the back of the roof right before the rear window. There is a raised area where the top rear brake light is....that area is all wet.....

Questions:
    1. Anyone seen this before? Where could the water be entering?

2. I also now noticed that on the inside of the car the two pieces that go down each side of the rear window the material is peeling off of them. The material appears to be a very thin material...how do I fix this?

Thanks....If I need to provide more information please ask me....any help is greatly appreciated...

Wade
    2000 328i

My Cars
    330i
    1) Do you have a moonroof? If so, the drain holes could be clogged. I believe there are four holes (one in each corner) for water to drain from. I'm not sure what you can use to clear out the holes.

2) Peeling C-pillar trim is common (your A-pillar and 3rd brake light trim is probably peeling or bubbling too). I think there is a special glue you can buy and apply yourself. The alternative is to take it to an upholstery shop.

My Cars
    2000 323i
    i had the peeling of that material in the back. taped and newspapered around it took some spray glue sprayed the back of the material and stuck it right back up there. looks just like the other side that hasnt changed.

My Cars
    "stock" 95 M3, 97 318ti
    slide the sunroof so that the glass covers the cabin....

....just kidding...
    -Brandon

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328i

Sunroof

Yes I have a sunroof and never knew there was drain holes....does anyone know more information about these drain holes? Where do I exactly locate them and what is the best way to clean them out??

Thanks!!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Between the fabric headliner in the car and the steel part of the roof is what's called a sunroof "cassette". It houses the mechanical bits for moving the sunroof and the shade. It also has a little tray that hangs under the junction of the suroof glass and steel roof and catches any water that leaks through the felt seal of the sunroof (it's not a watertight seal. Also bails you out (no pun intended) when you leave your sunroof in the vent position parked in the rain). That water then drains out of 3/4" diameter drain tubes that connect to each corner of the sunroof cassette. The drains are routed down each of the roof pillars i.e. the front drains go down the A pillars (behind the trim) and the rear drains go out the C pillars. The exit for the front drains is behind the plastic splash shield for the front tire (fender liner). I think (not positive) that the rears drain out just behind the rear tires also behind a plastic splash shield). The best way to clear them out is to blow compressed air up into the exits of the drain tubes. You can try blowing the holes out downward from the sunroof cassette, but be careful that you don't blow the drain tube right off the nipple that it's connected to - it's just a press fit of two pieces of plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    The Way
    I had water leaking in where the third brake light is and replaced the o-ring seal for the antenna... no more leak.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Good point... does your car have a roof mounted antenna?
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    like a bee stinger?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Or a shark fin?

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    well everyone has the bee stinger...

My Cars
    323i
    I've got the same problem. I just purchased a 2000 323i used with only 65k miles on it. It just rained really hard this week and I noticed my cabin smelling bad. Sure enough the floorboard in the back seats is wet and there's water dripping in through the third brake light onto the seats and into the floor. It has the bee stinger antenna and I can see some deterioration in the seal. Could someone suggest where to purchase such a thing and give some direction on how to replace it? Or, would a little silicone be worth trying first? How'd this turn out for ya'll?
    -Yates

My Cars
    2000 323ci ZSP 5spd
    yeah my car has this same issue. its def the bee stinger w/o a doubt

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The gasket for that antenna is available separately.

My Cars
    79 & 81 323i Baur
    It definitely sounds like the antenna gasket or possible rear window seal.

As for the sunroof the best way to test drain holes is to 1st park car with slight down hill incline, poor water in each inside corner and watch that it drains from behind front wheels. 2nd to test rear drain tubes park car uphill and poor water in the rear inside corners of sunroof, water should drain behind rear tire.

To test the rear antenna gasket or window seals, first offer a friend a beer and hand him the garden hose and while you seat inside have him spray specific areas and look for water. If you pop the rear of the headliner down its easier to check and feel for the water coming in.

My Cars
    323i

Question Leaking like a sive!

Is there any trick to removing the bee stinger? Twist and pull? Or is there something inside the cabin above the headliner that should be unclipped before attempting to remove? Does it even require removal or can I replace the gasket more easily? Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    323i
    Bump!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    I know this is an old thread, but I have had my car 2 months now and can't figure out why it leaks. First off, the leak only occurs during a car wash and yes I know it's because they use high pressure water but is it natural to feel water hit you in the face and drip on the front passenger seat whenever your going through a car wash?

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM
    Quote Originally Posted by tblauAG View Post
    1) Do you have a moonroof? If so, the drain holes could be clogged. I believe there are four holes (one in each corner) for water to drain from. I'm not sure what you can use to clear out the holes.
    I've heard that water leaking in where the fin is is fairly common, however it doesn't sound like that's your issue.

No, it's not normal for water to be leaking in. You shouldn't use car washes btw. Destroying your paint. My PO and many of my clients have used car washes religiously for their washes - and their vehicle's paint paid for it. Most, including my own paint initially looked like death and was a pain to restore to it's former glory.
    Last edited by ch40t1c; 01-08-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Cunninlynguists. Because real hip hop.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Yes I am aware that car washes will eventually degrade your paint and that's why I use them a few times a year, but I'm wondering exactly what it would be, I have a copy of the parts list from the school body shop and looking through the list and pics there are several parts to choose from and I was hoping to narrow it down before tearing it apart myself.

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM
    Quote Originally Posted by pparis1985 View Post
    Yes I am aware that car washes will eventually degrade your paint and that's why I use them a few times a year, but I'm wondering exactly what it would be, I have a copy of the parts list from the school body shop and looking through the list and pics there are several parts to choose from and I was hoping to narrow it down before tearing it apart myself.
    Degrade yes, but more so - it will scratch the absolute **** out of it. I would rather throw my wash mitts in some sand and then wash with them than take them to the car wash.

But back to your issue:
    Read here.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=739028
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=675150
    If the solutions in those threads don't work, it could be your stinger.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...54667:thumbsup:
    Cunninlynguists. Because real hip hop.

My Cars
    98m395m30032394318ic
    The antenna is leaking. It's pretty easy to take off, and there's an access panel right under it. you can either put a new seal, or put a shark fin over it. The antenna is only for the out of date phone system and will not effect the stereo. the material coming off on the side pillars is not related. I had the same issues.
    93 e36 vert / 95 E36 M3 Alpine / 98 M3/4 Estoril / 00 '46 Frankenbimmer CI , 68s / shark tooth injected driver bolster with slimline low gloss duct tape / angled front pass kidney grill with custom eject hood release / EE LEDs moisture sealed/ Pep Boys silicone / Google sky point OEM HIDs with glovebox leveling arm after wishbone install / custom BMW round pin diagnostic to USB cabin routed laptop with INPA for constant CE light delete / sock modded / t-shirt mod / clicking sound.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by pparis1985 View Post
    Yes I am aware that car washes will eventually degrade your paint and that's why I use them a few times a year....
    lolwut?

Quote Originally Posted by chefsboss View Post
    The antenna is leaking. It's pretty easy to take off, and there's an access panel right under it. you can either put a new seal, or put a shark fin over it. The antenna is only for the out of date phone system and will not effect the stereo. the material coming off on the side pillars is not related. I had the same issues.
    Hey Paris....Is that where the water is coming in?
    Last edited by danewilson77; 01-08-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    e30/36/46
    I believe you are leaking from the cell antenna, PM me to discuss futher.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by kbsport View Post
    I believe you are leaking from the cell antenna, PM me to discuss futher.

Psssst.....mentioned already in POST # 7, 15, and 22

Why PM? We wanna know all the secret stuff too.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast