Thread: Headlight on Chime? Key in ignition Chime? Does my e34 have them?

My Cars
    1997 BMZ Z3 1.9 Boston

Headlight on Chime? Key in ignition Chime? Does my e34 have them?

On a post Thanksgiving airport run I parked my 95 525iT at the airport and went in to see my Mom off. Her flight ended up being delayed 2 hrs. When I went back to the parking lot I saw I left my lights on. UGH! Fortunately the car started right up. Thank God.

My question did my car have a "Lights on Chime"? and for that matter should it have a "Key in Ignition Chime"? I know my x5 has both. If yes how do I go about fixing them?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

My Cars
    Coming soon? 2001 e46
    I know I have them. It chimes when I open the door with lights on or key in ignition with engine off. Is it possible your chime's dead altogether ?

My Cars
    1995 BMW E34 525i
    most likely because i have them.

1998 BMW e36 M3
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Journal

My Cars
    Suck
    Mine does. If I leave the lights on the dash says "Light On?"

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    2008 335iA (E90)
    E34s have almost everything lol

My Cars
    various
    Most likely the PO disconnected the speaker under the drivers side dash. Exactly what mine was like when I bought it. Apparently my PO didn't like the Speed Alarm and was too stupid to figure out how to work the OBC.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Even if the chime is disconnected or not working...doesn't the warning still appear in the CCD (check control display)?

All of the following should appear in the CCD regardless of the audible alert: LIGHTS ON ... KEY IN IGNITION ... DOOR OPEN
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1997 BMZ Z3 1.9 Boston

THANKS! Yes my CCD tells me Lights on, Key in Ignition, door open ...

But no chime.....

The Key I have yet to forget and the Door open has not snuck by me but leaving the Lights on has. Being Christmas shopping season and all of the brightly light mall parking lots + the amount of time and frustration to find a space I could easily see me forgetting the lights on again... :-(

Ok can somebody clue me in on where to look for the chime speaker? and possible solultions? Obviously I need the chime. lol

Is it the same chime that warns of "Icing" ? I ask because I do not get the warning when it's freezing in the e34 I do get one in the x5.

Thanks again and again, This forum is great.

Andrew

My Cars
    E39 M5,E39 528i
    Mine chimes but only once then leaves the message up on the dash. I've left my lights on before and the car started right up. Nice that the headlights go out leaving only the parking lights lit.

My Cars
    1997 BMZ Z3 1.9 Boston

I need at least that one chime....

Good to know the lights go out leaving just the parking lights on. Honestly when I got back to the car at the airport it was under such bright lights all I noticed as I walked up to the car was the taillights on and that was enough to have me crossing my fingers as I turned the key. My X5 has auto Xenon's perfect setup for me kind of "set it and forget it" the lights come on when the sensor decides I need them and then go off when I shut the car off. PERFECT. Heck even the wipers are on set it forget it mode. When then sense rain they come on and go off when they are not needed. Uh maybe I am too stupid/lazy to own a e34? lol

Andrew

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcconti View Post
    But no chime...Ok can somebody clue me in on where to look for the chime speaker?
    Andrew
    The gong/chime is located under the dash just above the driver's dead pedal on my 95 Touring. Try looking there...and you probably have to remove the whole panel that is above the accelerator & brake pedals to access the gong/chime...and see if it is plugged in.

What you will see is #24 in the diagram below which is the holder for the gong...and when you remove the panel, on the other side will be #23 in the diagram which is the gong.

The previous owner may have disconnected it because of a Priority Warning alert, or perhaps they found the ice warning etc annoying.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-28-2007 at 11:43 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1997 BMZ Z3 1.9 Boston

GREAT INFORMATION! Thanks so much.

I will dig under the dashboard this weekend and see if I can get the chime working again.

Heck while I am asking....

Anyone know how to fix the gas door lock? Mine does not lock when I lock the car.

My Cars
    1994 530i, 2002 Jeep Wrangler , 1996 Volvo 855 GLT
    Another awesome feature of the E34 is that leaving your lights on will probably not kill your battery. If the key isnt on or removed, only the parking lights will work, even if the switch is on the headlamp selection. Did this at school once, and no dead battery, beacuse no large lights were on!

When I bought my car, the chime unit was dead on mine as well. Could be a common problem.

My Cars
    Coming soon? 2001 e46
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcconti View Post
    I will dig under the dashboard this weekend and see if I can get the chime working again.

Heck while I am asking....

Anyone know how to fix the gas door lock? Mine does not lock when I lock the car.
    Start a new thread, it would be worth it.

My Cars
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by e34Driver View Post
    Start a new thread, it would be worth it.
    There's and electric operated actuator that moves a pin in and out to lock the gas door. You can find the actuator by looking in your trunk behind the jack on the right. (pull the carpet)

It may need to be aligned with the hole or replaced. In my case the PO had swung the pin (which can pivot) out of the way to disable locking the gas door as the hinge had broke so the door no longer closed properly. When I replaced the hinge I simply put the actuator pin back where it should be and bobs your uncle. # 10 in the diagram (9 is the gas door)

My Cars
    1997 BMZ Z3 1.9 Boston

Thank you!

Chime and Gas door are this weekends repairs!

Andrew

My Cars
    2008 335iA (E90)
    Good luck.