Thread: 17x7.5 Composite Style 42's on Z3 1.9L

My Cars
    See sig file

17x7.5 Composite Style 42's on Z3 1.9L

I'd like to see a photo of these style wheels on a Z3 1.9L, or any Z3 if possible, to see how they fit in.

Here's a picture of them on a e28 M5, different offset though, and 17x8 size.

And, in the middle of some Style 32's in 17x8 & 9.

Backside:

These wheels have a cast center and are attached to a spun rim, with titanium bolts, and made by BBS for BMW.
    Pat
    ____
    '98 Z3 1.9L + '90 325iCab, '87 535iS_____________
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

My Cars
    See sig file
    I found a couple of photos, not great ones, but it's a start.

Phoenix Yellow with hardtop.

A slight glance in what appears to be Boston Green. This does give some indication of the depth of the wheel center to rim edge.
    Pat
    ____

My Cars
    M Coupe, etc......
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpat View Post
    I found a couple of photos, not great ones, but it's a start.

Phoenix Yellow with hardtop.

A slight glance in what appears to be Boston Green. This does give some indication of the depth of the wheel center to rim edge.

looks not good, not bad.......

The straight spoked wheels look better.......
    BMW E36, the new Honda Civic of tuning.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    What's the rear offset on a 1.9? The Style 32s and 42s for the Z are 8" rears with a +42 offset, I think. If the 1.9s offset is low enough, you could use Style 42s from a 5 series.

My Cars
    See sig file
    Quote Originally Posted by robrez View Post
    What's the rear offset on a 1.9? The Style 32s and 42s for the Z are 8" rears with a +42 offset, I think. If the 1.9s offset is low enough, you could use Style 42s from a 5 series.
    The Z-stars in 16x7 are 46mm offset, I think that just about all wheels that fit a Z3 2.8L car will physically fit a 1.9L car. The reason you don't see wider wheels on the rear axle of a 1.9L car is that they simply don't need the extra contact patch since they don't have the torque to warrant the extra weight.

If I go to 17 inch wheels, I'll stay with either the 7.5 or 8 inch rim width for both axles. the primary justification for 17 inch wheels on a 1.9L is the wider selection of good tires, 16's which used to be the "deal" in high performance rubber, is definitely going the way of the dodo bird slowly but surely. When I bought tires for my 911's 16 inch wheels I think I had a list of about 7 or 8 tires at the performance level I wanted, and that's not many. Just think, 16's are what the 911 Turbo came with.

The second, more succinct, reason is that larger diameter wheels supply stiffness and the reduced sidewall height has a lower slip angle than 16 inch tires, so you get a measurable increase in handling sharpness. The 1.9L already has a reputation for good handling from it's inherent balance, if you can get wheels and tires in 17 inch that don't weigh significantly more than 16's, weigh the same, or even better weigh less; you hone that handling a couple of notches better. The major downside is money spent, ride harshness is slightly worse, but not too bad. !7's were offered as a dealer installed or factory (unlisted) order option by BMW so it's probably within the range of the suspension to deal with them.

Almost forgot, e39 5-series wheels aren't hubcentric on e36/7 cars, or any other BMW model. You have to use hubcentric adapter rings to use them, which I have on the e28. They are, alast, not offset enough either at just 20mm, though just for fun, I think I'll bolt a couple of the ones now on my e28 onto the Z3 just to take some photos and see how they look. They'll probably just fit the rear, but not the front.
    Last edited by fastpat; 11-20-2007 at 12:58 PM.
    Pat
    ____

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    The style 42 wheels come in 7.5" or 8.5". The rears on mine are basically flush with the edge of the fender. If you put 7.5" on the back, I would assume you would need a spacer.

My Cars
    See sig file
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    The style 42 wheels come in 7.5" or 8.5". The rears on mine are basically flush with the edge of the fender. If you put 7.5" on the back, I would assume you would need a spacer.

Yes, I see what you mean. The spacer might negate any weight saving by running the narrower rim, still that's what BMW says to do, and did do with the Z-Star's. BMW's wheel catalog says same size front and back for 1.9L's too. I don't think there's any physical reason to do so, meaning clearance problems with the suspension and fenders on a 1.9L as opposed to your car. My car is a narrower body pre-facelift car, so the rear fenders don't project out the same I think.

I'm considering this wheel along with the BBS RGR, both are effectively the same cost new.

Let me say, as well, that these wheels look stunning on your car, completely proportional to the car, the wheel openings, and color.
    Last edited by fastpat; 11-20-2007 at 04:37 PM.
    Pat
    ____

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by robrez View Post
    The Style 32s and 42s for the Z are 8" rears with a +42 offset, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    My Style 32s came staggered 7.5F & 8.5R with 41mm offset.

Putting the 7.5" at the back without the use of spacers is fine on a narrow-butt 1.9, specially if not lowered. If lowered, pushing them out a little with spacers would make it look better, but not necessary.

I have tried putting the staggered Style 32s (from my Coupe) into my Roadster (before the wide-butt conversion) and the rear fitment is perfect (see pics). But gauging on fastpat's current & previous posts, I don't think he's interested in any type of staggered set-up on his 1.9. And having a 1.9, I fully support his views. If I didn't do a wide-butt conversion and SCing the car, I would stick with a non-staggered set-up.

The pics are posted just to show how 8.5" rears with 41mm offset fit the rear of a narrow-butt 1.9.
    Attached Images Attached Images