RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Rack & Pinion Leak (E39)

My Cars
    E36 325is

Rack & Pinion Leak (E39)

So I have a leak at my rack & pinion on my 1997 528i. I just recently had my t-stat replaced and my mech pointed this out to me after a saftey inspection. I had noticed this before but now the leak seems to have worsened slightly. Anybody know if this is an easy fix (like a gasket or somomething) or if i'll be paying out my ass? Thanks

Heres some pix

My Cars
    06 Cobalt LS
    you need a new rack+pinion. If it was just coming from the fluid line fittings then you could repair it pretty easily, but it looks like it's coming from elsewhere.

Basically you're looking at paying to r+r the rack and pinion, the part itself, and a front end alignment. I can't give you a specific price on all of it, but you'll probably save yourself some money by sourcing the part out yourself. Most shops I know of will add a percentage of cost onto the cost of the part to make a little money off of it.

Most places around me charge $50-60 for an alignment depending if its front end only or 4-wheel alignment(also depends on any extra work involved). It could differ though. I don't know the flat rate for r+ring the rack+pinion on your car. Going to have to call and get an estimate on that.

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Thanks for the reply.
    So I would need this part
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Steering-Rack-Non-Servotronic-E39-528-528i-528iT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33589QQihZ014QQit emZ330185305808QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
    What do you think about the quality of this ebay part? I know it's used but $1K seems a little steep at bavauto or pelican parts.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    I don't know if you need a R&P, but that company is sponsors the used parts forum here. You might want to contact them through that forum.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    528/m5 converted
    dam i got da same problem with the same car..i go to lincoln tech(automotive scho0l) and i had my teacher look at it..he said it could jus be a seal..or i might have to replace the whole dam rack..the rack costs $750 brand new..im on the search for a used onE..

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmoney718 View Post
    dam i got da same problem with the same car..i go to lincoln tech(automotive scho0l) and i had my teacher look at it..he said it could jus be a seal..or i might have to replace the whole dam rack..the rack costs $750 brand new..im on the search for a used onE..
    Yeah it is EXPENSIVE and its not a DIY for me either... engine has to be raised to get it out/in. I figured I'd try some of that stop leak stuff... guess what? It worked! I have no drops in my driveway since. I guess the rack will last for a bit longer hopefully a lot longer. I used the Lucas stuff BTW.

Heres the link: get it at any auto parts store.
    http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    You have just patched the problem. Not a very good idea.

My Cars
    01 Audi S8
    Old post... but just got a 96 M3 that needs some TLC
    went for an alignment and one tie rod was frozen and rack was leaking on one side
    it was also doing the slight shimming/wobble on steering wheel at higher (60+ speeds)

I replaced inner & outer rods and a torn boot
    added the Lucas R&P stop leak and it actually helped
    Only a temp solution, though I know I'll eventually get a refurb'd rack

The alignment place wanted $1500 for a new rack and $800 labor to put it on LoL
    I can get a rebuilt one with a 3 year warranty for $200 and I can do the R&R

People paying high prices for racks is ridiculous

Last edited by Bimmerman4ever; 04-24-2014 at 11:31 PM.