Thread: will Mtech steering wheel fit a airbag E30 90

My Cars
    BMW/Benz

will Mtech steering wheel fit a airbag E30 90

I was looking on gettig one from ebay, and the dude says they fit the 89 year E30

I have the airbag steering wheel, Im sure I will have the airbag light go on, how do I fix that

Jani

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si
    I recently put a 3-spoke mtech1 steering wheel in my 91 car, which had an airbag. My airbag light was already on (and still is) and since crash sensors and new airbags are more expensive than the steering wheel, I went the cheapest route. I've been told unplugging the airbag module would remove the light. It is a bright orange box behind the dash just to the left of the cluster. I recently had my cluster out but still couldn't reach the controller even with my small hands. I've recently purchased a non-airbag check panel and plan to swap that in to resolve the light being on issue.

Oh by the way... the install of the mtech1 wheel will require that you find/make a spacer for the steering wheel to stick out about 1/8th inch, so that your knuckles don't continue to accidentally rub the wiper/turn stalks. On non-airbag cars the steering column and distance of the switches are a bit different. I don't have a spacer on my car, but i have small hands. However, then you'll need to find a spacer/washer for the front that has a bigger ID than the standard washer, so it slides past the splines so you can bolt the wheel on correctly. LMK if you need more detail on all that fun stuff.

There was a thread or two around here I searched/found that talked about an OEM spacer that worked -- you may want to look into that.
    ··· Shaka! ··· Ari Jay Comet : üncensored! ···

My Cars
    BMW/Benz
    thanks brother I will pm you more questions if I need answers

Jani

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Why don't you ask on R3V?
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    E30ic, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Why don't you ask on R3V?
    Oh, that's just cold.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats | MTech2 wheel | Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003

2000 E39 M5 | Stoptech brakes | Refinished OEM wheels w/10mm spacers | Powerchips Gold 91 | Timmay Tips/muffler delete | Functional brake ducts | DICE MB1500 Slimm diffuser | Cubic black trim w/alcantara boots

My Cars
    BMW/Benz
    ahha ^ Jordan that is fuked up bro

My Cars
    e30ic, e36m3, e36ic
    I did a writeup on this at baye30. My solution for SRS light was Euro check panel which has no airbag light. Also you will need a spacer below the central nut to hold the steering wheel tight on the column. The spline is too tall when putting in non-airbag wheel so your wheel will feel very wobbly You can order the same ring that sits right below the wheel on the spline, but unfortunately I lost the part number. I think that's the best soultion. You can also just make a spacer. Here's writeup.

Disconnect Battery and wait about 20 minutes. Then disconnect orange plug inside pop out compatment on bottom of steering column housing.

Unscrew 2 T30 torx screws on back of wheel to remove airbag. These are in the openings on either side of wheel closest to steering column. Pull out airbag and unplug airbag wiring plug on back of airbag - just pull it straight out from back of airbag.

Put key in ignition, hold wheel and unscrew 22MM locknut. - If you want to put airbag wheel back later, mark with felt tip pen alignment of wheel on hub/spline before removal. You need key in ignition and column unlocked to pull off wheel. Pull off wheel, and the plug and wiring within bottom of steering column housing will pull out. I'd recommend saving wheel in case you ever want to sell car. Or put on ebay. Up to you. I don't know what legal theories can be imosed against you if you sell car without airbag - but I imagine they can be ugly, especially if new owner gets in accident with airbag removed.

There is a white airbag-related springloaded pushpin at top left of column housing. push that in and wedge it with a toothpick. If you don't do this, it will hang up on the screws on the bottom of the Mtech II wheel at least.

Make sure turn signal stalk is centered/neutral. Put on new wheel on hub. If you screw nut on now, the airbag hub/spline is too long and nut will not tighten down onto wheel. You'll see why. You need to make a spacer to tighen between nut/washer and wheel. It will be difficult to find washers with correct diameter hole to fit over the hub and act as a spacer. You don't want the spacer be too big a hole around the hub. Some people have said use small pvc pipe as pacer. If you do this, make sure you cut it very straight - if cuts are crooked, wheel will likely not sit right. I actually had an old stainless steel ring that worked perfect as a spacer.

Put spacer and washer on and tighten down wheel somewhat lightly with nut. Go drive down the street and discover how off center wheel is. Go home and remove washer and nut and spacer and realign wheel on hub/spline. Repeat if necessary. Reinstall spacer/washer/nut and attach horn. Pop center wheel cover/horn on and you are good to go. Everything should still work - horn and turn signal canceling etc. If not, recheck install procedures.

Your check control SRS light will likely now be activated. Some people pull the bulb, my solution was a German check control unit which has no SRS warning light and has all indicators in german. About $20 on ebay.

Some have said with new wheel your knuckles may hit the turn/cruise/wiper stalks since they are closer to wheel on airbag car. So with new wheel, you may need to bend them back, or put on non-airbag equivalent stalks. But for me this not a problem.

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Quote Originally Posted by M3isgod View Post
    I was looking on gettig one from ebay, and the dude says they fit the 89 year E30

I have the airbag steering wheel, Im sure I will have the airbag light go on, how do I fix that

Jani
    Dude you should have said "bro" at least 25 - 30 more times in your post.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si
    Excellent write-up. Everything he said matches with what I found too. IIRC, you need a 3/4" ID x 1" OD washer that might slide down over the splines as a good spacer. I work at a machine shop so I found a metric washer that worked laying around to do the task -- but you may want to just get the under-column spacer. Dont have a part# handy but... when you pull off steering wheel you'll see a collar/spacer/sleeve that can slide off after the wheel is off -- you could take that to your dealership and see if they can source one for you and then just put that on after the wheel is on as the spacer.

FWIW, i just pulled the white airbag pushpin part on mine figuring that I wont ever need to put it back in. Without it yes it does hit the Mtech1 wheel too, so you MUST jam it down or remove it. It is located at about 10 o'clock in relationship to the wheel center. Good luck, and thumbsup to a good writeup from cafe!

My Cars
    BMW/Benz
    Cafe

Thank you man for the great write up, that looks pretty decent and easy to do. A spacer, I am wondering if I can get one at Home Depot or something, or one of those auto stores.

And for the bulb, is it hard to get to the back of the dashboard to take the bulb out.

thanks man

Jani

My Cars
    BMW/Benz
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
    Dude you should have said "bro" at least 25 - 30 more times in your post.

yeah you think BRO

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si
    To answer Jani's question -- Even if you pull the bulb on your check panel, there is a redundant light inside the check panel that works so that is NOT a solution that works.

Your only real two ways to remove the airbag light are:

#1 - get under the dash behind/to left of cluster, find bright orange airbag controller and disconnect the plug going in/out of it...or...

#2 - get a check panel off here or ebay, i got one for $14 shipped, that is non-airbag. it still has the red SRS seatbelt but no airbag. there was a guy on here with two both non-airbag he was selling for i think ~$20 -- go snag those and they just pop in/out.

Removing the check panel is just with a flat-blade to pop it out, then its a simple connector (gently VERY gently pull back the plastic flat with small flatblade and pull out connector). Replace with non-airbag module, voila!

My Cars
    BMW/Benz
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Excellent write-up. Everything he said matches with what I found too. IIRC, you need a 3/4" ID x 1" OD washer that might slide down over the splines as a good spacer. I work at a machine shop so I found a metric washer that worked laying around to do the task -- but you may want to just get the under-column spacer. Dont have a part# handy but... when you pull off steering wheel you'll see a collar/spacer/sleeve that can slide off after the wheel is off -- you could take that to your dealership and see if they can source one for you and then just put that on after the wheel is on as the spacer.

FWIW, i just pulled the white airbag pushpin part on mine figuring that I wont ever need to put it back in. Without it yes it does hit the Mtech1 wheel too, so you MUST jam it down or remove it. It is located at about 10 o'clock in relationship to the wheel center. Good luck, and thumbsup to a good writeup from cafe!
    Shaka

Thank you for the help, I am going to have to see it all once I start working on it

Jani

My Cars
    BMW/Benz
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...QQcmdZViewItem

is this the panel I shuld get

jani

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si
    Yep, that is the bad boy you need.

My Cars
    BMW/Benz