Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Phonebook?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i 1999 Toyota 4RUNNER

The Phonebook?

I recently got new phones with bluetooth and all that fun stuff. I paired it up to my 328i and it works beautifully but what I dont understand is when using voice commands anything dealing with the phonebook doesnt work. I find this rather odd because i am able to pull up the phonebook/numbers on the radio and when people call it dispalys the numbers. Any suggestions why it tells me the phonebook is "empty"?

My Cars
    2007 328i
    Strange... And you're hitting your call button on your steering wheel and saying "Call xxx" after it beeps at you?

My Cars
    '07 BMW 335i Convertible and '07 335i Coupe
    In order to use the Phone Book with voice command you actually have to verbally load the phone book. Here's how it works:

1. Push face icon on steering wheel.
    2. Say the following: "Save Name"
    3. Voice prompt asks what name you want saved.
    4. Say name like "Home Telephone"
    5. System says "Say Number"
    6. You recite number like "223-445-9678"
    7. System recites the number you just said back to you and says "Continue"
    8. You simply say "Save Name" and it is saved in the Phone Book

Next time you get in your car.

1. Hit the face icon on steering wheel and say...."Dial Name"
    2. The system will ask what name.
    3. Say "Home Telephone"
    3. System asks if you want to dial (and you'll hear your own recorded voice saying "Home Telephone")
    4. Say "Yes" and the system will say, "Dialing Number"

Hope this helps. I programmed all the numbers I might routinely call from voice command.
    2007 BMW 335i Convertible Montego Blue - Delivered 8/07
    2007 BMW 335i Coupe Monaco Blue - Delivered 8/21 WOO HOO!

My Cars
    2007 328i

Cool

Wow, I never had to do that. Bluetooth just linked it up and it worked. Is it just me?

My Cars
    Like if I say, Call *insert number* it works but if I say "Read Phonebook" or Call Dave it says the phone book is empty.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmcc View Post
    Like if I say, Call *insert number* it works but if I say "Read Phonebook" or Call Dave it says the phone book is empty.
    That's how it works in my car. And I have two 335i's, neither with iDrive. You have to verbally program the Phone Book. But you are correct, it will dial a number if you say "Dial Number" it will ask what number and you say the number. My dealer verified this was the correct method and I have a Razr phone compatible with the Bluetooth option.

My Cars
    Right on, thanks for all the replies. So my understanding is that when the car says phonebook it is talking about a phonebook on the cars system not my telephone.

My Cars
    2007 328i
    I have iDrive...maybe that's the difference?

My Cars
    Yeah I just have the BMW Business radio or something like that.

My Cars
    Right on, thanks for all the replies. So my understanding is that when the car says phonebook it is talking about a phonebook on the cars system not my telephone.
    Exactly! You have to verbally load the phone book in the car's memory. Now, you can scroll through numbers stored on the Sim card, but that's a manual scroll through the numbers, not voice command. I hope I said that clearly??

It took me about 10 minutes to store the numbers I routinely would want to call from voice command, so it wasn't much of a deal anyway.

My Cars
    Again thank you all very much for your help. RBrylawski your wording was just fine, I will save some names on the way to the work in the morning. My other question is if there is a different phone (I.e my work phone) connected to the system will the same voice commands work with it?

My Cars
    Again thank you all very much for your help. RBrylawski your wording was just fine, I will save some names on the way to the work in the morning. My other question is if there is a different phone (I.e my work phone) connected to the system will the same voice commands work with it?
    Do you mean you have paired two Bluetooth phones to your BMW? If you have, I only have one phone paired, so I'm not sure. I would think the phone book would remain intact, regardless as long as there was a phone paired at the time you offer voice command to make a call.

One other thing I have discovered is if my bluetooth headset (for when I'm not in my car) is paired to your phone while you're in your car, your car won't pair with the phone until you turn off the headset. Interesting, odd little anomoly...........

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    One other thing I have discovered is if my bluetooth headset (for when I'm not in my car) is paired to your phone while you're in your car, your car won't pair with the phone until you turn off the headset. Interesting, odd little anomoly...........
    That is a phone restriction I believe. Not sure if any phones allow multiple pairings, but nothing in the bluetooth standard to prevent it. The BMW BT is a different profile than your headset so they shouldn't conflict if the phone allows it.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2007 328XI, '05 Lexu
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    Do you mean you have paired two Bluetooth phones to your BMW? If you have, I only have one phone paired, so I'm not sure. I would think the phone book would remain intact, regardless as long as there was a phone paired at the time you offer voice command to make a call.

The car remembers the last Bluetooth phone that was there. However, if you and your significant other are in the car at the same time, you merely hit the button that says Prior, or something like that, and then use the right hand button to scroll to the phone that you want to be primary. After a few seconds you will get a check mark beside that phone and now it is the principal phone. When the significant other gets in the car with their phone, they repeat the process.

I was told by the salesman that if you don't have the Nav system, you have to teach the phone, as described at the beginning of this thread, how to save the name. If you have the Nav system it will be able to "dial name" without teaching.

Gary

My Cars
    I should have gotten iDRIVE. It seems you can do so much more.

My Cars
    2007 328XI, '05 Lexu

It is my understanding that you can't say "call Dave" you must say "call name" or "call number" and then the voice says "what name (or number)", at which time you say "Dave".

Gary

My Cars
    '07 335i Convertible, '06 Honda Ridgeline
    Some of this also depends on which phone you have paired and it's built in features. With both my Treo or my RAZR, I can just press the talk button on the steering wheel and say "call John Doe". I have not added any names to the car's built in phone book but this works with the voice dialing using the phone's features and dial the correct number.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by gdvan View Post
    Some of this also depends on which phone you have paired and it's built in features. With both my Treo or my RAZR, I can just press the talk button on the steering wheel and say "call John Doe". I have not added any names to the car's built in phone book but this works with the voice dialing using the phone's features and dial the correct number.
    Do you have iDrive?

My Cars
    2008 328i, 2004 VOLVO XC-90
    I would assume you had previously programmed your phone with voice activated prompts and these seemlessly worked with the Bluetooth on the car.

My Cars
    '07 335i Convertible, '06 Honda Ridgeline
    I do have iDrive but I have not previously programmed any voice activated prompts in my phone. The latest in a new Razr V3xx out of the box. I paired it with my 335 Convertible with iDrive. I press the talk button, I can say call any name in the phone book and it prompts me if I want to call that name and number.

My Cars
    I do have iDrive but I have not previously programmed any voice activated prompts in my phone. The latest in a new Razr V3xx out of the box. I paired it with my 335 Convertible with iDrive. I press the talk button, I can say call any name in the phone book and it prompts me if I want to call that name and number.
    Yes, but that's the difference. iDrive calls will seamlessly take the phone book and allow you to use voice commands without the need to verbally program in stored numbers. In non-iDrive head units one has to verbally program the names one wants to use voice command to dial. Since the OP doesn't have iDrive, he has to do what I wrote as instructions earlier and verbally program those numbers in his head unit so he can actually use voice command. It wouldn't matter what phone he has. I too have the newest generation Razr, but I still have to verbally program the names since I don't have iDrive.

Thanks

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i Coupe MT, 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    RBrylawski. I just got a Sprint LG Musiq and its not listed with BMW Bluetooth devices but it paired fine. It takes incoming calls but keeps telling me the phone book is emty. I thought it was a connection problem but I guess it means the BMW phone book. I am going to try you method out when I get back in town, and hopefully it will work on the LG as well. Thanks.

My Cars
    2006 Bmw 325i 2002 mini cooper
    I recently got new phones with bluetooth and all that fun stuff. I paired it up to my 328i and it works beautifully but what I dont understand is when using voice commands anything dealing with the phonebook doesnt work. I find this rather odd because i am able to pull up the phonebook/numbers on the radio and when people call it dispalys the numbers. Any suggestions why it tells me the phonebook is "empty"?
    Not all Bluetooth enabled phones are fully compatible with the BMW features. I have an 8125 Cingular PDA. My phonebook doesn't work either. I took my car to the dealer and they tried their Motorola Razor and that worked fine. There is a list of phones that are totally functional on BMW's website. Just because your phone is Bluetooth does not mean that all features are supported. Bummer for me as well.
    Smitty
    06 325i
    Jet Blk, Grey ltr, prem pack, sport pack, cold pack,
    step, adaptive hdlghts, park distance control

My Cars
    2021 M550i Tanzanite Blu
    If you visit howardforums.com you can find the Bluetooth profiles for a bunch of different phones.

My last phone was dying on me so I was in the market for a new one. I made a list of "must-have" features and then visited the site looking for a compatible phone. I ended up with the RAZR V3m: it will "push" the contact list to the car, allows the use of the car as a bluetooth accessory, and can be sync'd with my bluetooth-enabled MacBook Pro using bitpim.

However, I cannot do file transfer using bluetooth, so I can't send ring tones to it or upload new images (there are ways around both of these, though). I can use a standard Type B USB cable (I think that's what it's called ... it's the cable with a very tiny connector on the phone end) and transfer files that way (and bitpim detects the USB phone correctly).

My plan is to reflash the phone with the Alltel firmware for the V3c instead of keeping the Verizon firmware. The Alltel firmware removes a LOT of the Verizon-imposed limitations, but the V3c doesn't have a media card slot so that will be non-functional (this doesn't matter to me).

Your mileage may vary.
    M550i Sedan; tanzanite blue/white Nappa leather (list of options coming soon).

Was: 335i Coupe; silver/dark AT with Sport and Premium pkgs, includes paddle shifters; brake booster valve replaced (twice now); oil cooler no longer a top priority.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ssigur View Post
    RBrylawski. I just got a Sprint LG Musiq and its not listed with BMW Bluetooth devices but it paired fine. It takes incoming calls but keeps telling me the phone book is emty. I thought it was a connection problem but I guess it means the BMW phone book. I am going to try you method out when I get back in town, and hopefully it will work on the LG as well. Thanks.
    If you don't have iDrive, you should be able to load the phone book up verbally using the instructions I posted. I would hope it works even though your phone isn't on the recommended list. My SA said many phones not on the list will pair just fine. Bluetooth is bluetooth, but the phones BMW supported in the software will work without much hiccup. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast