Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about removing rear seats on e46

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5

Question about removing rear seats on e46

I have an e46 M3 with a bolt-in Kirk roll bar and fix mounted one-piece race seats. I did not remove the rear seats prior to the installation of the roll bar. My question is- can I now remove the rear fold down seats and bottom cushion without removing the bolt-in roll bar? How do you remove the fold down seats anyway? Does anyone know if this would be possible?

My idea (as suggested by others before) was to start to transport my track wheels/tires inside the trunk and into the pass through.

TIA!

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)
    suspension: GC (Koni) SA coilover kit 525f/550r; GC camber plates; TMS sway bars; UUC RTABs
    brakes: front StopTech ST-40 BBK; Hawk HT-10s
    wheels/tires: SSR Comp 18x9.5et35; Kumho 285/30/18 V710s; TMS wheel studs
    interior: Kirk Roll Bar; Recaro Profi SPG XL seats; Schroth 6 point harnesses; Sparco 330mm steering wheel with TMS quick release
    misc: UUC Evo 3 SSK; Borla Muffler; CDV delete; ACS pedal kit; removed fog lights
    weight: 3380 lbs (3/4 tank of gas, sunroof, no driver)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    2010 335d
    I must be missing something here...have you actually tried to remove it?

Like yank on the buttom cushion, stand it up behind the front seats, fold down rear seats, pass the cushion into the trunk.

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by jkuper View Post
    I must be missing something here...have you actually tried to remove it?

Like yank on the buttom cushion, stand it up behind the front seats, fold down rear seats, pass the cushion into the trunk.
    You do understand that the roll bar is already installed, right?

What do you mean by "it"?

As I understand there are 3 pieces to be removed: (1) the bottom cushion; (2) the left side section of the fold down seat; and (3) the right side section of the fold down seat.

I know how to remove the bottom cushion (just yank on it) . I do not know how to remove the left and right side sections and do not know if it's possible because of the roll bar being in the way and preventing them from being able to fold down all the way.

This is why I asked the question.

Thanks!

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)
    suspension: GC (Koni) SA coilover kit 525f/550r; GC camber plates; TMS sway bars; UUC RTABs
    interior: Kirk Roll Bar; Recaro Profi SPG XL seats; Schroth 6 point harnesses; Sparco 330mm steering wheel with TMS quick release
    misc: UUC Evo 3 SSK; Borla Muffler; CDV delete; ACS pedal kit; removed fog lights

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    2010 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by TJe46M3 View Post
    You do understand that the roll bar is already installed, right?

What do you mean by "it"?

As I understand there are 3 pieces to be removed: (1) the bottom cushion; (2) the left side section of the fold down seat; and (3) the right side section of the fold down seat.

I know how to remove the bottom cushion (just yank on it) . I do not know how to remove the left and right side sections and do not know if it's possible because of the roll bar being in the way and preventing them from being able to fold down all the way.

This is why I asked the question.

Thanks!
    By it I meant the rear seat, as a whole. If I remember correctly, the two cushions are removed by taken out two torx screws in the center of the seat.

I was assuming that the bar doesn't have cross posts, just two down tubes to the side of the rear fenders which should allow for the rear seats to fold.

Edit: See this for more help http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_schroth_rally4.shtml

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    By it I meant the rear seat, as a whole. If I remember correctly, the two cushions are removed by taken out two torx screws in the center of the seat.

I was assuming that the bar doesn't have cross posts, just two down tubes to the side of the rear fenders which should allow for the rear seats to fold.

Edit: See this for more help http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_schroth_rally4.shtml
    Thanks for the reply and clarifications.

The bar does not have cross posts, as you correctly guessed. However, the rear seat backs still will not fold down all the way because of the roll bar. They will only fold down about 45 degrees. I can't remember exactly what they hit because I haven't done it in a while, but I believe the tops of the seat backs hit the harness bar section of the roll bar.

Thanks for the link, however it does not show how to remove the rear seat fold downs which is my main question.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether it's possible in light of the above?

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    2010 335d
    "the two cushions are removed by taken out two torx screws in the center of the seat."

It really is pretty simple from what I remember. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...14&hg=52&fg=30 may also help

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    "the two cushions are removed by taken out two torx screws in the center of the seat."

It really is pretty simple from what I remember. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...14&hg=52&fg=30 may also help
    I understand. But where are the two torx screws located? The problem is how far down do the seat backs have to be tilted in order to be able to access and remove the torx screws?

Do you know what part number the two torx screws are in this schematic?-

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...31&hg=52&fg=30

Thanks again.

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    2010 335d
    I think 9...I don't think you have to tilt the seats. You really should wait until you get home and look at it, instead of planning the next mod at work

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Go in the trunk and pull both the fold down lever things and fold the 2 seat back halfs as far down as they'll go. Then there's 1 torx(visible from the trunk side), it's at the base of the seats where the two halfs split.

My Cars
    2010 335d

My Cars
    03 ///M3
    That is exactly the setup i am looking to have with my E46 M3.. It looks very nice. Can you please direct me to where you got that bolt in rear roll bar? Are those Recaro SPG's? Those are the seats i want too. Nice setup! How much was the entire setup including installation if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

I have an e46 M3 with a bolt-in Kirk roll bar and fix mounted one-piece race seats. I did not remove the rear seats prior to the installation of the roll bar. My question is- can I now remove the rear fold down seats and bottom cushion without removing the bolt-in roll bar? How do you remove the fold down seats anyway? Does anyone know if this would be possible?

My idea (as suggested by others before) was to start to transport my track wheels/tires inside the trunk and into the pass through.

TIA!
    03 ///M3 SG
    Bilstein PSS9/ TMS RSM's/ Autosolutions Ultra SSK/ TMS Sways/ SuperSprint Exhaust/ SS X-pipe/ R.E. TM's/ OEM CSL diffuser/ Recaro Sports in custom black suede/ OEM CSL brakes/ TMS rear camber arms/ Camber plates/ rear trailing arm bearings

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty

It's where one of those red circles is, It's the one where ever the seat splits.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsmith View Post
    That is exactly the setup i am looking to have with my E46 M3.. It looks very nice. Can you please direct me to where you got that bolt in rear roll bar? Are those Recaro SPG's? Those are the seats i want too. Nice setup! How much was the entire setup including installation if you don't mind me asking? Thanks
    I've got a somewhat similar setup, that being Cobra Suzuka GT's and a Kirk racing roll bar.

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    I think 9...I don't think you have to tilt the seats. You really should wait until you get home and look at it, instead of planning the next mod at work
    I was trying to get a starting point first so I at least know where to look when I get home.

Greg is saying that I do have to tilt the seats?

Is the pic you posted from an e46?

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    Thanks. It's a Kirk roll bar. http://www.kirkracing.com/

The seats are Recaro Profi SPG XL. I got them from HMS. I got the harnesses from HMS also. https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/

I can't remember what it all cost for just the seats, harnesses and roll bar. I had other work done at the same time by Turner Motorsports.

Good luck.

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Greg is saying that I do have to tilt the seats?

Is the pic you posted from an e46?
    Yes you do need to tilt them, but 45* should be enough.

It looks to be, and if it's not, it's close enough. It's nothing complicated...

HSMITH, My roll bar, seats, seat mounts, harnesses, etc ran me about $3200.

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post

It's where one of those red circles is, It's the one where ever the seat splits.

I've got a somewhat similar setup, that being Cobra Suzuka GT's and a Kirk racing roll bar.
    Thanks Greg. So you said that you access the bolt from the trunk side? Any guess as to how far down I need to tilt the rear seat halves to access it?

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    Thanks Greg. I submitted my last post before I saw your last post...

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Thanks Greg. So you said that you access the bolt from the trunk side? Any guess as to how far down I need to tilt the rear seat halves to access it?
    Yes, the trunk side. 45* should be enough, and if you can't see the torx bolt then use something to pry the leather halves apart till you can see it. Then use a torx socket on a extension...

My Cars
    03 ///M3
    Thanks. It's a Kirk roll bar. http://www.kirkracing.com/

The seats are Recaro Profi SPG XL. I got them from HMS. I got the harnesses from HMS also. https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/

I can't remember what it all cost for just the seats, harnesses and roll bar. I had other work done at the same time by Turner Motorsports.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the information. I plan to have Turner Motorsport do all of my work as well.
    03 ///M3 SG
    Bilstein PSS9/ TMS RSM's/ Autosolutions Ultra SSK/ TMS Sways/ SuperSprint Exhaust/ SS X-pipe/ R.E. TM's/ OEM CSL diffuser/ Recaro Sports in custom black suede/ OEM CSL brakes/ TMS rear camber arms/ Camber plates/ rear trailing arm bearings

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    Yes, the trunk side. 45* should be enough, and if you can't see the torx bolt then use something to pry the leather halves apart till you can see it. Then use a torx socket on a extension...
    Thanks. One more question... what size is the torx bolt?

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    03 ///M3
    Yes you do need to tilt them, but 45* should be enough.

It looks to be, and if it's not, it's close enough. It's nothing complicated...

HSMITH, My roll bar, seats, seat mounts, harnesses, etc ran me about $3200.

Thank you Greg. That is fairly reasonable. Is that including installation?
    03 ///M3 SG

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    I don't remember, between T25 and T35 I would guess. I lost mine at some point and replaced it with a normal hex bolt.
    Thank you Greg. That is fairly reasonable. Is that including installation?
    No, I installed it. The price break down is as follows:
    $730 Cobra Suzuka GT
    $135 Cobra side mount
    $200 VAC base mount
    $290 Schroth Profi-II harness
    ^All of that x2
    $350 kirk roll bar
    $120 shipping for roll bar

My Cars
    '04 M3, '02 X5
    I don't remember, between T25 and T35 I would guess. I lost mine at some point and replaced it with a normal hex bolt.
    Thanks.

2004 BMW M3 (6MT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320

My Cars
    03 ///M3

No, I installed it. The price break down is as follows:
    $730 Cobra Suzuka GT
    $135 Cobra side mount
    $200 VAC base mount
    $290 Schroth Profi-II harness
    ^All of that x2
    $350 kirk roll bar
    $120 shipping for roll bar
    Thanks. Which bar did you go with? - Competition, street, bolt-in cage, etc. Do you have any pictures of your cage?
    03 ///M3 SG

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Thanks. Which bar did you go with? - Competition, street, bolt-in cage, etc. Do you have any pictures of your cage?
    "Competition bar", I just checked their site and it looks like their price went up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast