Thread: Serious problem! I need your help!

My Cars
    E36 1JZGTE

Serious problem! I need your help!

Hello guys.

We have just turbocharged a European version of M3 S50B30. Now it is boosted by GT35R (WG is adjusted for 0.4bar). We used a chip, which we bought in Sweden. My friend’s customer also used this chip and everything is still OK. When I kick the engine to redline there isn’t any boost! There is 0.0bar of boost.

A vacuum source to a boost sensor and to a blow off valve is taken from this hose:

A vacuum source to a WG is taken from turbocharger’s compressor. When we disconnected the vacuum line from WG there wasn’t any boost also. Boost always stays at 0.0bar. We are sure, that the turbo exhaust manifold is airtight.

At idle EGT= 600 degrees of Fahrenheit and AFR~14.7:1. At WOT AFR jumps from 11.5 to 10.3. It’s very rich, because there aren’t enough amount of compressed air, are there?

What do you think guys? Is there anything more, which cold help you with solving that problem, ask, please. I’ll add.

Cheers,
    Maleckis, Poland.

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    This may seem trivial, but is the turbocharger OK? The turbine is spinning freely at idle?

How's the charge piping? Any loose connectors, what type of clamps are you using?

Have you pressure tested it, or smoke tested it to look for leaks?
    M3 Sedan Club President #21

My Cars
    E36 1JZGTE
    I think the turbocharger is spinning OK at idle. When I turn off the engine it’s spinning freely few seconds at additions.

It is our first DIY turbocharged M3 and we don’t know whether a turbocharger should suck in our hand, while it is near an opening in turbocharger’s compressor, or not (car is standing/isn’t moving, no gear, no clutch, only acceleration pedal is used)?

In our S50B30 Turbo we used stock intake manifold. Two hoses are attached to the intake manifold. Do you think I should do anything with them (stopping/plugging a hole?)? I removed an air conditioning and an air pump. A hose, which went to the air pump, is vented to the atmosphere now. I thought that it might be a leak, but when I stopped a hole, nothing was better.

My Cars
    1994 M3
    there are 3 hoses under plenum, small one is a drain direct to sump, other 2 are 1 from cyclone seperator. and 1 to ICV all 3 openings in plenum will need to be plugged, 2 large hoses should be plumbed to vacuum source pre turbo
    Last edited by morerevsm3; 08-05-2007 at 06:46 AM.
    cheers, Alan

1/4 mile-12.92 @ 108.64mph-NA 3.0L m3 daily driver

My Cars
    E36 Compact & DirtE30
    You'd need a pretty decent sized hole to stop this baby from giving positive pressure.....

What sort of waste gate do you use? Do you have more pictures of your setup and perhaps a video?

Perhaps more info on your friends car?
    E36 Compact & DirtE30

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    If there is load on the road and you don't see boost then you probably have a charge pipe coupler blown off so the compressed air from the turbo is going to atmosphere instead of your engine. I had that issue when I had my first turbo system and the rubber intake elbow burst. All of a sudden there was no boost.

If you are sitting there just revving the car then without antilag you won't see any boost since you need load on the motor to spool the turbo.

From the pictures I see you have a stock rubber intake elbow. If you blew a hole in that sucka then there you go. First time in boost you might have immediately popped it. Check it thoroughly. If this is correct then you need an aluminum intake elbow.

Sick that you went top mount on s50b32. I love it!

Any pictures of the exhaust manifold?
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    yeah if you're just revving the car you wont see much if any boost...

My Cars
    E36 M3. E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    yeah if you're just revving the car you wont see much if any boost...
    +1

You wont have any boost if you are just reving the engine. You have to take the car out for a drive if you want to build some boost.

M50 3.2L, twin scroll MaximumPsi manifold +750 WHP @ 21 psi. OBDI tune, Vampire Knock controller, Racelogic TC, E46 M3 6 speed, UUC twin disk clutch, DSS new chromoly DS, DSS upgraded axles, DI aluminum intake manifold, 80lbs injectors.3" exhaust pipes with DMH cutout.

My Cars
    t67 328is - KIA
    you should still be able to hear the turbo spinning at least...
    M52 Power! 500whp?, ? ft/lbs
    Mods:8.5:1 CP pistons, Eagle rods, S52 cams, M50 intake manifold, Eurosport High Performance underdrive pullies, 3.23 lsd, ZKW's w. DDE, BBS RC's 18x8.5, Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sport springs, Eibach sway bars, BMW Motorsports x-brace, pwr 57mm rad, stewart high performance water pump, 6000k prolumen hid's, m tech kit

custom turbo: sias tuning tec3, t67 ho, spa turbo manifold, 24x12x3 ebay intercooler, 750 cc low impedence injectors, arp head studs, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, hks ezII evc, tial 50mm bov, tial 40mm wastegate, plx m250 wideband o2, cartech motor mount, turbowerx oil scavenge pump, spa gauges

My Cars
    E36 1JZGTE
    I used a waste gate from Audi S2. It is vented to the atmosphere and it is closed always. Babbo, why did you ask?

When I was just revving the engine (and had all hoses going to an intake manifold disconnected; openings stopped up) there was 4 psi at 5500-6000 RPM in a turbocharger's compressor. How much psi would be with load in your opinion? Much more?

Pipes in our turbo exhaust manifold have a diameter equal to 51mm (bigger than openings in a head). May they be too big to drive the turbocharger? I would like to get to know your opinions. If we reduced the diameter, would the turbocharger spool up (earlier)? We did a lot of “tests” to solve this problem and we don’t have any ideas now. That's why, I'm asking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Sick that you went top mount on s50b32. I love it!

Any pictures of the exhaust manifold?
    It is a turbocharged European version of S50B30. We took a valve cover from S50B32, because we like it more. I can post here pictures, but will it help you with solving this problem? If so, I’ll add them.

Cheers,
    Maleckis, Poland.

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleckis View Post
    I used a waste gate from Audi S2. It is vented to the atmosphere and it is closed always. Babbo, why did you ask?

When I was just revving the engine (and had all hoses going to an intake manifold disconnected; openings stopped up) there was 4 psi at 5500-6000 RPM in a turbocharger's compressor. How much psi would be with load in your opinion? Much more?

Pipes in our turbo exhaust manifold have a diameter equal to 51mm (bigger than openings in a head). May they be too big to drive the turbocharger? I would like to get to know your opinions. If we reduced the diameter, would the turbocharger spool up (earlier)? We did a lot of “tests” to solve this problem and we don’t have any ideas now. That's why, I'm asking about it.

It is a turbocharged European version of S50B30. We took a valve cover from S50B32, because we like it more. I can post here pictures, but will it help you with solving this problem? If so, I’ll add them.

Cheers,
    Maleckis, Poland.
    How much boost with load you say? Ohh....much much much more
    M3 Sedan Club President #21

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe

Well I actually get no boost from revving the car so for you to even get 4psi or any positive boost at all then you are doing even better than I.

Just please go drive the car on the street and report back to us. What psi wastegate spring do you have? Shut off the EBC for now.

Cheers,
    Maleckis, Poland.
    No those pictures have nothing to do with this but I still would like to see it adn I am sure the rest of us would also out of curiousity.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    E36 1JZGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Well I actually get no boost from revving the car so for you to even get 4psi or any positive boost at all then you are doing even better than I.
    When I had everything connected to an intake manifold as it is in stock (an idle valve, oil separator & number 11 hose) I drove the car on street. There wasn’t any boost with load.

I don’t have EBC and even MBC. We used a stock spring which there was in WG from Audi S2. We heated it up and pressed it. WG opens at all when we give him 6 psi.

Tomorrow I will check if there are any leaks in intake pipes and manifold (BOV, etc.). I’m going to blow air into pipes by an air compressor. Tomorrow I must also go on holidays with my wife . I really don’t want to, while I know, that the M3 doesn’t work well so far. I'm back in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3
    No those pictures have nothing to do with this but I still would like to see it adn I am sure the rest of us would also out of curiousity.
    When everything is OK and the M3 works well, I'll describe my project and post all pictures (we have taken approximately 150). Be patient.

In this picture you can see not finished turbo exhaust manifold:

Cheers,
    Maleckis, Poland.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    When I had everything connected to an intake manifold as it is in stock (an idle valve, oil separator & number 11 hose) I drove the car on street. There wasn’t any boost with load.

I don’t have EBC and even MBC. We used a stock spring which there was in WG from Audi S2. We heated it up and pressed it. WG opens at all when we give him 6 psi.

Tomorrow I will check if there are any leaks in intake pipes and manifold (BOV, etc.). I’m going to blow air into pipes by an air compressor. Tomorrow I must also go on holidays with my wife . I really don’t want to, while I know, that the M3 doesn’t work well so far. I'm back in 2 weeks.

When everything is OK and the M3 works well, I'll describe my project and post all pictures (we have taken approximately 150). Be patient.

In this picture you can see not finished turbo exhaust manifold:

Cheers,
    Maleckis, Poland.
    Oh sure no problem. I will wait for the sick thread with 150 pics!

So I would assume that you guys finished the welds on that manifold. Thanks for the pic!

Since you drove it on the street my bet is that you blew off a charge pipe or something on the cold side so you aren't seeing boost or the turbo is broken. 50/50 basically.

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Pressure test the intake system and all charge pipes. We did a E46 M3 with a AA S/c kit on it and it wasn't making any boost at WOT, but at part throttle it would seeing that boost wasn't maxing out.

Check all hoses, clamps and any lines that will be under boost. Also if you have any check valves within any boosted line, check if the valve is still working.

This leak may not show itself until its under boost so you will have to pressure test the system with a regulated amount of compressed air.

My Cars
    E36 1JZGTE
    We closed intake from an intercooler’s inlet to MAF’s outlet. We blew 3.0bar (an air compressor). There was a huge hurricane blowing to the atmosphere from blow off valve. I think we found the culprit. I can’t stand I must go on holidays…

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    We closed intake from an intercooler’s inlet to MAF’s outlet. We blew 3.0bar (an air compressor). There was a huge hurricane blowing to the atmosphere from blow off valve. I think we found the culprit. I can’t stand I must go on holidays…
    Told you!

Who da man? Cam da man!

My Cars
    1986 528e
    any pics of the finished manifold?

1986 528e M20B25 Swap

crop2 by justinmdougherty, on Flickr