Thread: 1991 BMW 525i Main fuse problem?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i

1991 BMW 525i Main fuse problem?

Hello, on my 1991 525i there is a small box that has a smallish cable coming from the positive battery terminal into one side of it, and then has two cables of equal size coming out the other size. I would have to guess that this is some kind of main fuse. When opened up it appears to be a piece of metal that bridges the cables and might have something stamped on it like 90A or something like that.

Well, I notice that there is a crack right in the center of this metal strip bridge and when I ever so slightly flex the box that contains the cables and this bridge, I can see the strip of metal seperate slightly where it is cracked in the middle and give off just the tinyest of sparks from the electrics making and losing contact.

Is this the main fuse? With this being cracked like that, could that cause the car to occasionally take a second or so before it turns over when the key is turned. Basically every now and then I turn the key to start the car I have to hold the key all the way turned and there is like a lag of a second or two before the car turns over. It's not a bad battery, that much Im certain of, but I was thinking it might be something like the ignition switch, but now that I've found this thing that I would guess is a main fuse, I wonder if that could be it?

I would assume these can't be too expensive, but are they dealer items only or do auto supply houses like pepboys and napa sell these?

Thanks for any suggestions on this.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525I

Talking Main Fuse response

The fuse is actually called the "Fusible link." I had to find that out the hard way. My understanding is that it regulates polarity from the hot side of your battery. If it's broken, it could lead to problems with your electrical system..i.e. the windows, sunroof, seats, radio or clock don't work.

BMW sells the fusible link for like $1.84. I bought two yesterday! All you need is a 10 mm ratchet (which you can get from your trunk toolet) to remove it.

My Cars
    sdag
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus2008 View Post
    The fuse is actually called the "Fusible link." I had to find that out the hard way. My understanding is that it regulates polarity from the hot side of your battery. If it's broken, it could lead to problems with your electrical system..i.e. the windows, sunroof, seats, radio or clock don't work.

BMW sells the fusible link for like $1.84. I bought two yesterday! All you need is a 10 mm ratchet (which you can get from your trunk toolet) to remove it.
    exaclty. my dealer sells them for $0.61 a piece

My Cars
    '88 325ic; '89 BMW 525i; '02 Olds Intrigue
    I had to get an autozone Honda link & Gerry-rig it to fit. Yes, if it's cracked you need to replace it. Check your manual; isn't 90 amps too high (I think mine was, like, 55). Don't exceed spec'd amperage on a fuse. If it continues to blow it's telling you there's a short somewhere you need to correct.