Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: license plate lights failure. how to replace?

My Cars
    1997 528i

Question license plate lights failure. how to replace?

I dont have a manual and i tried searching but got nothing car specific. How do i replace my bulbs for my license plates? both of them are out. Is it possible to be a fuse? if so, which fuse would it be? thanks for any help.

Shakin Dem Dreads, and Goin 18.. Im Shinin'

Pictures:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=851604

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Try searching to the bottom of the left column at this site: www.e38.org/e39 and download the 2000 manual to your desktop. It is in PDF format which makes the manual searchable using key words. It takes less than a minute to download.

I do believe the manual has instructions on how to change out those lights...look under "lamps and bulbs".
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E46 M3vert Dinan S2 -Metallic Topaz
    insert flat blade screw driver into slot on the LP light's black plastic surround, slide entire assembly left. Don't be afraid to apply big pressure. When I had to repalce mine, I damn near thought I was gonna break something before it came free. No probs. Once the assemoly has been moved, the thing just falls apart and the bulb is accessible. Easy 3 second change out.

Edit: PLEASE READ POST #6

Last edited by jamesdc4; 12-10-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Incorrect information
    [IMG][/IMG]
    2003 Dinan S2 E46 M3 vert, Metallic Topaz Blue
    2001 E39 Dinan 5 ,Electric Red - Retired

My Cars
    1997 528i
    thanks for the info. ill try it first thing in the morning

Shakin Dem Dreads, and Goin 18.. Im Shinin'

Pictures:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=851604

My Cars
    2003 540i
    My car does the same thing, but my lights both work?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuapOh View Post
    insert flat blade screw driver into slot on the LP light's black plastic surround, slide entire assembly left. Don't be afraid to apply big pressure. When I had to repalce mine, I damn near thought I was gonna break something before it came free. No probs. Once the assemoly has been moved, the thing just falls apart and the bulb is accessible. Easy 3 second change out.
    This post is incorrect according to the manual.VVV
    License plate lamps
    5 watt bulb
    1 Insert a screwdriver into the slot and
    press to the right (arrow); this disengages
    the lamp.
    2 Remove the lamp and replace the
    bulb.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Question

I pushed so hard, the screw driver was bending. No luck.
    Anyone have any tips or tricks?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Maybe the 98 is different, but the 2001 manual says press to the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    I pushed so hard, the screw driver was bending. No luck.
    Anyone have any tips or tricks?
    As I recall, you have to push pretty damn hard. You may want to put some tape on the end of the screwdriver in case it slips.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
    Thanks, Steve.

My 98 manual and the 2000 are to the right.
    This is turning out to be a good thread, Lol.
    Regardless, I can't get mine loose.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Interesting. Maybe that changed with the "facelift". My car has the LED taillights.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Interesting. Maybe that changed with the "facelift". My car has the LED taillights.
    Yo Steve...he's talking about the license plate lights specifically, which has nothing to do with the LED tails. Just FYI...

I, too, tried to remove my license plate light covers and also had NO luck. I pushed and pulled HARD and they won't budge. I even tried tapping the screwdriver with a hammer (as close to the screwdriver slot as possible) and still the damn thing won't move. I suggest using a rubber mallet as I was really paranoid about smashing the trunk in some way. After tapping with a hammer, the right side was starting to move but since my lights are working fine, I didn't continue. J, it appears, with some major muscling, that you will be able to remove those covers but you're gonna have to be AGGRESSIVE! As GuapOh pointed out, he thought he was gonna break something. Funny how something that should only take a few seconds to replace turns into a MAJOR project.

BTW, look carefully at the indentation for the cover and you will notice that there is additional space (1/8-1/4 of an inch) to the LEFT of the cover. That would indicate to me that the cover slides to the LEFT and not the right, however, I have seen parts that move in just the opposite direction from the logical one. Stay the course and you will succeed with this simply difficult task.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    02 530i
    This is bull#%$*! I just scratched my decklid trying to get those god forsaken license plate lamps off! Why in the #$*! would they make that so hard to take off? Piss on those bulbs for now. If anyone figures it out, please let me know.

My Cars
    2001 740is
    just did mine..the post really helped!

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    I don't know where you got that picture from, but that is definitely wrong. The screw driver is on the left side & there is no room to move to the left. Where you insert the screwdriver is an indenteded STOP behind, The opposite side behind it is spring loaded that flexes a little. The only reason it is not moving is because the dirt around it is caked hard like clay. Throw a lot of WD 40 around, wiggle it and it should come loose. Here is a correct picture from the '98 manual. Easiest way is to use two screw drivers, one for pushing to the right and the other for prying it out. I'm going to attach another picture of the inside of the lens
    Last edited by gurmukhbhogal; 10-29-2010 at 02:35 AM.

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    Some how I could not attach the pictures to my previous thread, but here they are, see the steel spring on the right, it is pretty stiff and flexes only a tiny bit enough to pry it out. This has been discussed so many times before.

My Cars
    2001 530iA Sport
    Whatever direction the '01 manual says to push it do the opposite. I replaced mine w/ OEM BMW LED modules.

They are a pain to get out, just be careful you dont push too hard or the metal pressure clip will pop off into the hole and the bulb housing wont be able to stay in place once you pop it back in after replacing the bulb.

My Cars
    BMW
    For anyone looking for an LED upgrade, we have them available below!

Give your car a bright new look with these LED license plate light conversions. These come as complete assemblies so all the hard work is already done. Simply remove your original light, and replace with Racing Dash LED light.

Included is the correct wiring plug specific for your vehicle so no wiring modifications are needed. Simply put, these are plug and play.

* Specially designed circuit for no O.B.C. errors
    * More than twice as bright as stock bulbs - 50000 mcd, 7000K
    * Long lasting LED reliability
    * Kit includes 2 lights and harness adapters

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
    ECS
    Last edited by ECSTuning; 02-06-2012 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

Left is right

I have a 2001 530i. The manual says put a flat blade screw driver in the slot and push left. That's what I did until I nearly ripped the darn thing a new slot. What they *really* mean is tilt the screwdriver to the left, pressing against he right side of the slot with the tip. Pry it out while applying pressure toward the right - screwdriver handle pushed to the left and up. It popped out like it was buttered. Mine is looking pretty ratty, but at least the bulb is fixed. Terrible design and instructions.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Interesting...this is what my 99 manual says...along with having an arrow that indicate which direction you should push the assembly so that you can disengage it from the the spring that holds it up inside the car's body. Someone on the editing committee must have not been paying attention on the 01 owners manual.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    The ONLY way I could get mine out (2003 540) was to spray WD40 around the edges of license plate bulb holders. Before that, those holders weren't moving at all.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport

License plate light bulb replacement: 2001 manual incorrect

I just replaced one of the rear license plate bulbs in my 2001 E39 530i, and after quite a struggle I can confirm that the bulb holder needs to be slid to the RIGHT -- not the left, as stated in the original owner's manual (and suggested by the larger indentation in the metal to the left).

Unfortunately I scratched my trunk lid slightly learning this!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyg99 View Post
    I just replaced one of the rear license plate bulbs in my 2001 E39 530i, and after quite a struggle I can confirm that the bulb holder needs to be slid to the RIGHT -- not the left, as stated in the original owner's manual (and suggested by the larger indentation in the metal to the left).

Unfortunately I scratched my trunk lid slightly learning this!
    This is correct, I just put in new bulbs. Screwdriver in slot, push to the RIGHT and the left side lifts out first. With minimal pressure, mine came out like butter. And if you have any questions on why a new bulb doesn't work, I can answer that too. (No it is probably not the housing unit, it is the ground wire - common problem is the ground wire cracks somewhere causing the circuit to not complete. Just cut the ground and find a new place to mount it in the deck lid - problem fixed)
    2001 BMW 530i e39 / Automatic / Orient on Dove

My Cars
    98 bmw 540i
    my left side socket doesnt work . can i splice the ground wire to the right side ground wire ? do you know what color the ground wire is ? thanks . my sockets were very hard to remove also

My Cars
    destiny
    slide to the right and use another screw driver to lightly pry it down, dont go crazy on the sliding or you might scratch the paint
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast