Thread: knocking noise/sound coming from driverside seatbelt pillar

My Cars
    e60 M5 | e46 M3 | e70 X5

knocking noise/sound coming from driverside seatbelt pillar

I've have two E39 (1998 & 2000) and same issue: there is a knocking sound coming from the driverside pillar every time i go over bumps or rough roads...seems like it's getting worst by the day. I've opened up the pillar before (the part where the seatbelt comes out of...in the interior) and didn't see anything that needed to be tightened or anything even loose. I would like to fix it, any ideas??? Previous fixes?

My Cars
    00 740i 6spd, 01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWknight View Post
    I've have two E39 (1998 & 2000) and same issue: there is a knocking sound coming from the driverside pillar every time i go over bumps or rough roads...seems like it's getting worst by the day. I've opened up the pillar before (the part where the seatbelt comes out of...in the interior) and didn't see anything that needed to be tightened or anything even loose. I would like to fix it, any ideas??? Previous fixes?
    SUBJECT
    Click or Rattle from Upper Safety Belt Mount

MODEL
    E46, E38, E39

SITUATION
    Some customers may complain of a click or rattle from the upper safety belt mount in the B-pillar. This can be caused by the plastic spacer ring on the mount being out of specification on cars built prior to 1/01.

CORRECTION
    In case of a customer complaint, detach the upper mounts from both B-pillars, and replace the black plastic spacer rings in the belt mounts with a new part.

E38, E39
    Replace the spacer ring (1) by depressing the retaining tabs on the bushing ring (2) and removing the ring. Snap the new part into place.
    Tighten the mounting nut (3) to 31 Nm.
    The improved parts have been installed in production since 1/01.

PARTS INFORMATION
    Part Number
    Description
    Quantity
    72 11 1 978 983
    Spacer
    E38 6spd, 4.6is, VF Engineering Supercharged, Dinan HFM/TB, 3:64Quaife, VAC Motorsport underdrive pulleys, SuperSprint headers/mufflers, Smile factor.
    01 740i, Imola Red, stock.
    98 318ti, beater.
    97 540i, yard art.

My Cars
    5 series 528i
    Damn, I've noticed the same noise - thanks for the fix

My Cars
    2003 525i
    NICE job Bimerfixer.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    e60 M5 | e46 M3 | e70 X5
    wow...so accurate, so timely....impressive. I'll give it a try!

My Cars
    e60 M5 | e46 M3 | e70 X5
    wait.. plastic spacer, is that the image #1 or #2?

I'm assuming this part is already available at BMW and for a few bucks?

My Cars
    1999 328i
    I have this exact noise also.. please let us know if this fixed it...
    1999 328i manual (son's car, I work on it)
    1989 911 manual (my "fun" car)
    1995 Suburban (my commuter)

My Cars
    02 M5
    I had a noise coming from what I thought was that area as well. I did the fix outlined above, but that did not fix it. It turned out that it was the door striker rattling over bumps. What I did was take some black electrical tape and wraped the latch striker portion in the door jam a few times, #6 in the link. No more noise going on a couple of years now.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=41&fg=40

My Cars
    99 528i
    I'm glad it did work for you, i was going to suggeget that a $1.00 black electricl tape will do the job. well done

My Cars
    1999 328i
    lunker - thanks, I'll check that out and report back.
    1999 328i manual (son's car, I work on it)
    1989 911 manual (my "fun" car)
    1995 Suburban (my commuter)

My Cars
    '03 540i/6; '01 330i
    Sorry for the revival of an ancient thread, but this is an issue that I have been suffering from for years. Haven't seen this solution elsewhere.

I bought the new part and installed it, but can see why it wouldn't solve the issue. The old plastic grommet was still in fine shape.

The electrical tape, however, did the trick. I did need to wrap it around the striker on both front and rear passenger doors.

My Cars
    15 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by lunker325 View Post
    I had a noise coming from what I thought was that area as well. I did the fix outlined above, but that did not fix it. It turned out that it was the door striker rattling over bumps. What I did was take some black electrical tape and wraped the latch striker portion in the door jam a few times, #6 in the link. No more noise going on a couple of years now.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=41&fg=40
    + 1. All you need is a T-40 torx. Raise the striker to fix the noise. Overtime, the striker sags. If the door is sagging, that's why it's making that noise.
    Sport | M5 Headlights | M5 Style Front | Intake Resonator delete | H&R/Bilstein | Euro Armrest | M5 Rear Sway | Thule | 3-Pedals | Fully Maintained | 190K Daily Driven